Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Hunt In: Beeville, tx
Default Building an bolt action?

May not be rocket science to some but I am thinking of building a custom bolt action for my one and done deer rifle. So my question is does anyone have a good website that has good info about how itís done? What tools do you really need when buying quality parts? I have built 2 ARS and it was quite simple with instructions. Iím thinking about going with a 6.5 Creedmoor because it will be used for deer\hogs and I donít enjoy shooting my 30-06. So looking for a good round that I will enjoy shooting. Any other opinions would be appreciated.
j.trevor123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Ok where to start....

Caliber choice is good for what you are wanting to do with it.

You may want to clarify what you mean by "building a custom rifle". To build an accurate custom rifle you need precise and expensive equipment and years of experience. If you are referring to a Remage or Savage nut system where you just headspace the chambered barrel and tighten a nut down that is different.

Can you expand on what exactly you are wanting to do.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

In for the response on this one
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

building an AR and building a bolt action are 2 very different things
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

If you have decent mechanical skills and understanding you can build a very accurate rifle on a savage action without the very expensive tools. My brother just finished his 7-08ai build on a savage tactical action. Shoots very good maybe not as good as others but he built it himself. Iím getting ready to start mine soon thinking of a 22-250ai or 260ai. Itís not too hard.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Build off a savage like stated or get a smith involved.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Ok where to start....

Caliber choice is good for what you are wanting to do with it.

You may want to clarify what you mean by "building a custom rifle". To build an accurate custom rifle you need precise and expensive equipment and years of experience. If you are referring to a Remage or Savage nut system where you just headspace the chambered barrel and tighten a nut down that is different.

Can you expand on what exactly you are wanting to do.

Hopping to spend around 2000 or so. Maybe more. Not sure, just decided not long ago. Yíall say get a gunsmith involved if not a savage.. why is that? I plan on buying complete parts.. barrel, action, stock etc.. do I need a smith enclosed when doing that if I use a 700 action for example? Excuse my ignorance but this is my first go around. I am mechanically inclined and good with YouTube lol
Old 12-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if it’s worth it or not.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

You can buy a barreled action then the stock you want, glass etc.... building from scratch would mean access to a machine shop and extensive skills. For $2k buy the parts you want and put it together yourself. Still a fun way to get what you want in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

If your budget is close to or over $2000 you can find a lightly used Alamo Precision, Horizon, Hill Country, etc for that price with the load development done as well if youre not in the hurry and have time to shop around.

Dont think youll be saving money in the long run for what you could build Vs. what you could buy.
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin05 View Post
You can buy a barreled action then the stock you want, glass etc.... building from scratch would mean access to a machine shop and extensive skills. For $2k buy the parts you want and put it together yourself. Still a fun way to get what you want in the end.

Yah thatís what I mean, not from scratch( machining etc) just a nice hunting rifle that Iím confident in. Just looking for a place of info on how too and what tools are needed? Etc
Old 12-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
If your budget is close to or over $2000 you can find a lightly used Alamo Precision, Horizon, Hill Country, etc for that price with the load development done as well if youre not in the hurry and have time to shop around.

Dont think youll be saving money in the long run for what you could build Vs. what you could buy.
Thatís what I was trying to figure out, is it worth it or spend a few hundred more and by from those places..
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.trevor123 View Post
Hopping to spend around 2000 or so. Maybe more. Not sure, just decided not long ago. Yíall say get a gunsmith involved if not a savage.. why is that? I plan on buying complete parts.. barrel, action, stock etc.. do I need a smith enclosed when doing that if I use a 700 action for example? Excuse my ignorance but this is my first go around. I am mechanically inclined and good with YouTube lol

No worries bud.

If you are not doing a nut style barrel on a Remington, yes you need a gun Smith because there are technical tools needed to build the gun properly. In my opinion the time and money spent on a build is better spent on a gun Smith who does it for a living. If you just want to tinker then the savage/remage barrel nut would be a fun project.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
No worries bud.

If you are not doing a nut style barrel on a Remington, yes you need a gun Smith because there are technical tools needed to build the gun properly. In my opinion the time and money spent on a build is better spent on a gun Smith who does it for a living. If you just want to tinker then the savage/remage barrel nut would be a fun project.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Makes sense, well in that case Alamo precision it is! Thanks for clearing that all up guys. That thread was started with no research. Just figured asking on here would be faster
Old 12-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #15
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if itís worth it or not.
Here's my input. If it's a one and done rifle then buy exactly what you want to a T.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

6.5 Creedmore barreled actions are $1699 from Alamo Precision.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
6.5 Creedmore barreled actions are $1699 from Alamo Precision.
Which barrel and action would that be?
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

You can spend from $1300 to $4000 building a custom rifle. Parts include an: action, barrel, stock, trigger, and bottom metal. You will need a gunsmith to do the machine work and bedding of barreled action to stock.

Actions: .... $325 to $500 for factory donor action

-Remington 700, Savage, Browning, Ruger, etc...
-Then it's recommended to have the action trued/blue-printed - $200
-Other actions will work, but the 700 is most popular and has the most aftermkt accessories.

Actions: .... $950 to $1600 for custom

-lots to choose from: Curtis, Stolle / Kelbly, Farley, BAT, Borden, Stiller, Defiance, ....
-then select options: s.s. or c.m., single shot, bolt fluting, coned or straight bolt face, repeater, R/L bolt, R/L port, ejector, cerakote or nitrided finish

Barrels:

-You will need to decide on brand, contour, caliber, length, fluting, twist, stainless, chrome-moly, carbon wrapped ...
- GS will fit, chamber, and crown barrel onto your action. You choose the cartridge, and GS can cut chamber for your specific bullet of choice. Cost will be $250 to $400 depending on GS. Threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake installed cost extra.

Stock: ... $225 for a used HS take-off up to $1800 for the mack-daddy
Manners and McMillans run $550 - $1100 depending on options.
- GS will charge $250 to $400 to pillar and glass bed action.
- Stocks with a chassis system do not need to be bedded, yet cost more $$$.
- Stock finish is a matter of personal choice: McSwirly, painted, cerakoted, splotches, etc...

Trigger: ... tuned factory $75, Jewell $225, Timney $125-175, Bix-n-Andy $375
- custom triggers can be set from 1 ounce to 3 lbs

Bottom Metal: ..... $0 to $400
- ADL blind magazine will not cost you any $, factory BDL style $125, Detach Mag with AI type magazine $200 , HS with magazine $375, ....

Probably missed a few things but that's pretty close. Most people will buy parts separately and send to GS, or the GS can order all the parts for you. If you're tight with the GS, a rifle can be built in 2-3 weeks. Lead or delivery time can vary from 6 months to 12+ months depending on the GS and how popular he is. If only building 1 rifle, build it exactly how you want it. This stuff is highly addictive and you will likely be planning your next build once shooting your new toy.
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Blake hits the nail on the head again.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Building an bolt action?

Quote:
Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if itís worth it or not.

Very nice rifle is the easy part. Saving money isnít. What is your primary goal with this? There are a lot of really good factory rifles for a LOT less than you will spend on a build.

Iím not trying to talk you out of a build but you can spend a lot of money for marginal gains over a higher end factory rifle.

The biggest gain to building vs buying is getting the exact stock you want, trigger you want, barrel length, twist, contour and finish that you want. But all of that can come at a hefty price tag.

Based on your responses I think you need to do some more homework and ask a lot more questions before shelling out your hard earned money on something you donít know a lot about.

Last edited by Mike D; 12-06-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #21
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post

Curtis Action, choice of 3 premium barrels and 6 chamberings.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
You can spend from $1300 to $4000 building a custom rifle. Parts include an: action, barrel, stock, trigger, and bottom metal. You will need a gunsmith to do the machine work and bedding of barreled action to stock.

Actions: .... $325 to $500 for factory donor action

-Remington 700, Savage, Browning, Ruger, etc...
-Then it's recommended to have the action trued/blue-printed - $200
-Other actions will work, but the 700 is most popular and has the most aftermkt accessories.

Actions: .... $950 to $1600 for custom

-lots to choose from: Curtis, Stolle / Kelbly, Farley, BAT, Borden, Stiller, Defiance, ....
-then select options: s.s. or c.m., single shot, bolt fluting, coned or straight bolt face, repeater, R/L bolt, R/L port, ejector, cerakote or nitrided finish

Barrels:

-You will need to decide on brand, contour, caliber, length, fluting, twist, stainless, chrome-moly, carbon wrapped ...
- GS will fit, chamber, and crown barrel onto your action. You choose the cartridge, and GS can cut chamber for your specific bullet of choice. Cost will be $250 to $400 depending on GS. Threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake installed cost extra.

Stock: ... $225 for a used HS take-off up to $1800 for the mack-daddy
Manners and McMillans run $550 - $1100 depending on options.
- GS will charge $250 to $400 to pillar and glass bed action.
- Stocks with a chassis system do not need to be bedded, yet cost more $$$.
- Stock finish is a matter of personal choice: McSwirly, painted, cerakoted, splotches, etc...

Trigger: ... tuned factory $75, Jewell $225, Timney $125-175, Bix-n-Andy $375
- custom triggers can be set from 1 ounce to 3 lbs

Bottom Metal: ..... $0 to $400
- ADL blind magazine will not cost you any $, factory BDL style $125, Detach Mag with AI type magazine $200 , HS with magazine $375, ....

Probably missed a few things but that's pretty close. Most people will buy parts separately and send to GS, or the GS can order all the parts for you. If you're tight with the GS, a rifle can be built in 2-3 weeks. Lead or delivery time can vary from 6 months to 12+ months depending on the GS and how popular he is. If only building 1 rifle, build it exactly how you want it. This stuff is highly addictive and you will likely be planning your next build once shooting your new toy.

Good write up! Thanks Blake
Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #23
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Very nice rifle is the easy part. Saving money isnít. What is your primary goal with this? There are a lot of really good factory rifles for a LOT less than you will spend on a build.

Iím not trying to talk you out of a build but you can spend a lot of money for marginal gains over a higher end factory rifle.

The biggest gain to building vs buying is getting the exact stock you want, trigger you want, barrel length, twist, contour and finish that you want. But all of that can come at a hefty price tag.

Based on your responses I think you need to do some more homework and ask a lot more questions before shelling out your hard earned money on something you donít know a lot about.

I may go with a factory rifle, not sure yet. But I do want it the way I would like. I buy a lot of things I donít need. Haha
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #24
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

OP ... do you handload , and into wildcats that require brass prep ?

I'm fixing to sell a mint condition 6x47 Lapua barrelled action, 1:8" Bartlien barrel, Greg Tannel trued blueprinted and bushed bolt, Rem 700 (early 70's action), < 300 rds fired. Whenever it stops raining, sleeting, and snowing I'll take pics and list it in the classifieds. Also have a Manners MCS-T bedded by SAC (short Action Customs) but not sure I wanna part with it
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #25
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm fixing to sell a mint condition 6x47 Lapua barrelled action, 1:8" Bartlien barrel, Greg Tannel trued blueprinted and bushed bolt, Rem 700 (early 70's action), < 300 rds fired. Whenever it stops raining, sleeting, and snowing I'll take pics and list it in the classifieds. Also have a Manners MCS-T bedded by SAC (short Action Customs) but not sure I wanna part with it

Oh my!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #26
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

I need to block you for awhile haha
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #27
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Stop it Blake!

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #28
StickSlinger
Four Point

I have a question maybe blake or someone else can answer. Why does the win. modle 70 get no love on here? We hardly ever see them for sale or to build off of
StickSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #29
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

Quote:

Glad Iím toy money broke
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #30
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
I may go with a factory rifle, not sure yet. But I do want it the way I would like. I buy a lot of things I donít need. Haha
As Mike stated, you can buy a nice factory gun and fix it to your liking. If you do it right, it will be very accurate and exactly what you want. I considered a custom, but instead went with a Tikka, swapped the stock out and spent the money saved on good glass. The only other thing I will end up doing is have the action bedded and may one day drop a Timney in them. As it sits though, they are really good looking guns that shoot less than .5 moa with my handloads. Glass and all, Iím all in for about $1,600.

Quote:

Hmmmm
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #31
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

https://aprifles.com/products/apr-co...rreled-actions
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #32
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

"a"
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #33
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I would just buy the components and have Blake's gun smith build it. That's what I did and could not be happier, and have one hell of an accurate gun.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #34
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
It says they're Curtis action and then you get a choice of barrels. Bartlein was one of them I think. Also can choose barrel length.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #35
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

For $2k, the Seekins Havak is a lot of rifle and offered in 6.5Creedmoor.
APR barreled actions are also top notch with stock of your choosing. Still need to bed it.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #36
Balcones_Walker
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

You lost me at "one and done"

APR does amazing work for the price. There are also a lot of cheap, accurate rifles these days that can be upgraded over time.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #37
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
It says they're Curtis action and then you get a choice of barrels. Bartlein was one of them I think. Also can choose barrel length.
IMO there is a lot to like about the Curtis actions. The one I have handled made me want one. The 3 lug bolt is one of the things I like best about it.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #38
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Tough to beat APR for the price they offer on custom barreled actions and 700 builds
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #39
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
The Remington Sendero is as close to custom as you will get from the factory.

You can then bed the action and change the trigger yourself.

I would also get the GS to thread it for a suppressor....but that is me.
Outbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #40
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post

By that time you could have bought a 700 semi custom from APR that is cerakoted, trued, and doesnít have a factory barrel
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #41
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Quote:

Maybe at one time. The Seekins Havak I think has that title now. Maybe even the Begara before Remington as well.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #42
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
By that time you could have bought a 700 semi custom from APR that is cerakoted, trued, and doesnít have a factory barrel
I do not see how considering that their barreled actions start at 1700.......
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #43
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:

Sure donít, one day I would like to bud donít have the space right now.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #44
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
I would just buy the components and have Blake's gun smith build it. That's what I did and could not be happier, and have one hell of an accurate gun.
I figured Blake would be at that level by now! Lol
Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #45
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
For $2k, the Seekins Havak is a lot of rifle and offered in 6.5Creedmoor.
APR barreled actions are also top notch with stock of your choosing. Still need to bed it.
I actually saw those a few weeks ago..
Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #46
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Quote:

The 5R Gen II come threaded and cerakoted.
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #47
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
You lost me at "one and done"

APR does amazing work for the price. There are also a lot of cheap, accurate rifles these days that can be upgraded over time.
Well let me give you background about me.. Iím no expert marksman but I can shoot okay but with anything I do I enjoy quality. So I would like something of quality that I have no excuse but hey it was me. I have a nice rifle for the price but nothing fancy. I have never had high dollar optics( have a Leopold vx2) but my next rifle will be A.something lighter on my shoulder. B. Something of quality. And C. With quality optics.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #48
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Quote:

I would but caliber selection in small.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #49
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
I would but caliber selection in small.
What caliber are you looking at?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #50
j.trevor123
Eight Point

I’m gonna go with he new fad and say 6.5 creedmoore. But they seem empressive from what I have seen as far as lighter recoils calibers go. Not stuck on that though