Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.
Default Tikka T3 7mag Accuracy

So I was looking at getting a lighter weight rifle for spot and stalk hunts to pack in with. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 and it is very accurate. I am wondering if anybody has a Tikka T3 lite or super lite in 7mm Rem mag and how accurate it is and what grain weight ammo you use? I would like to be able to use at least a 162 grain bullet/load for energy and higher BCs but it seems like almost everything you can find has a 1:9.5 twist rate like the Tikka does. I am wondering if I would be better off spend a good bit more and getting a 1:9 twist rate in a more expensive lightweight rifle. Like I have said I am ONLY interested in the 7MM REM MAG ONLY.
Thanks for the input.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
splitbeam145
Ten Point

I've got the Tikka T3 Lite in 7mag. I tried some 168gr Berger VLD and they just wouldn't group which I figured would happen. So I tried some 168gr Berger Classic Hunter which is a High BC bullet designed for factory barrels that don't have the twist of custom barrels. They shoot great!! I've shot a buck and a pig and it's done some damage to them on the inside. I even installed a B&C stock on it and it feels great and still light. Have a Leupold VX 6 3-18x50 on it and the whole gun weighs I believe 8lb 15ounces.
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
splitbeam145
Ten Point

Also had a MB installed to tame recoil. Name:  IMG_7645.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

I loaded for a friend's T3 in 300 WSM (no muzzle brake). While the recoil rendered my brain and body kaleidoscopic, I got it to 0.3" groups at 100 yards. I feel safe in assuming, the 7 Mag would be no different.

Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
I loaded for a friend's T3 in 300 WSM (no muzzle brake). While the recoil rendered my brain and body kaleidoscopic, I got it to 0.3" groups at 100 yards. I feel safe in assuming, the 7 Mag would be no different.

I canít imagine shooting a gun that light in .300 Win. Mag.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Mine has the wood stock. I have tried 175 gr remington core loc and 175 gr winchester white box. Three shot group and holes were touching at 100 yards. I did install a limbsaver recoil pad. That help absorb a lot of the recoil. I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find and it shot great and excellent performance on deer so I have felt no need to experiment on costlier ammo.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Nice guys I appreciate it
Old 12-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I canít imagine shooting a gun that light in .300 Win. Mag.

It was horrendous. I could only shoot two 5 shot groups per day then I had to set it down. Luckily, I found the load on the 4th test load. The first shot, I was certain it bloodied my nose. It didn't but my nose ran uncontrollably for the rest of the day.

I loaded up a box of 50 for him and he decided to go shoot 42 in one day at the range. He is a big black guy but it left purple bruises across his whole chest, up his neck, onto his jaw and even bruised his whole shoulder blade. It is still the hardest recoiling rifle I have shot. I told him, I will reload them but I will never shoot it again. That was a butt whoopin' I didn't deserve.

Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbeam145 View Post
I've got the Tikka T3 Lite in 7mag. I tried some 168gr Berger VLD and they just wouldn't group which I figured would happen. So I tried some 168gr Berger Classic Hunter which is a High BC bullet designed for factory barrels that don't have the twist of custom barrels. They shoot great!! I've shot a buck and a pig and it's done some damage to them on the inside. I even installed a B&C stock on it and it feels great and still light. Have a Leupold VX 6 3-18x50 on it and the whole gun weighs I believe 8lb 15ounces.
What size group at what distance have you been able to get with the 168 Berger Classic Hunter?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Quote:
It was horrendous. I could only shoot two 5 shot groups per day then I had to set it down. Luckily, I found the load on the 4th test load. The first shot, I was certain it bloodied my nose. It didn't but my nose ran uncontrollably for the rest of the day.

I loaded up a box of 50 for him and he decided to go shoot 42 in one day at the range. He is a big black guy but it left purple bruises across his whole chest, up his neck, onto his jaw and even bruised his whole shoulder blade. It is still the hardest recoiling rifle I have shot. I told him, I will reload them but I will never shoot it again. That was a butt whoopin' I didn't deserve.

I can relate to that, have a 270WSM in the wood stocked hunter, I never have reloaded for it as the Winchester 140gr accubonds shoot 5/8 inch groups at 100 and have shot 1 3/4 at 350 so call that good enough and bought several boxes of the same lot number.

On the recoil, before putting a pacmeyer decelerator pad on it, 20 rounds on the first range session left me bruised with a headache that lasted for days.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
splitbeam145
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
What size group at what distance have you been able to get with the 168 Berger Classic Hunter?
No issues keeping 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200yds. Only shot 700yds once and had a 1 MOA group with 3-4shots and a 10mph crosswind. Loaded at 3.29" which is about mag length. Used Retumbo powder and Federal primer
Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
I can relate to that, have a 270WSM in the wood stocked hunter, I never have reloaded for it as the Winchester 140gr accubonds shoot 5/8 inch groups at 100 and have shot 1 3/4 at 350 so call that good enough and bought several boxes of the same lot number.

On the recoil, before putting a pacmeyer decelerator pad on it, 20 rounds on the first range session left me bruised with a headache that lasted for days.
Haha geeez have yall thought about threading the muzzle and installing a muzzle break? Or getting a Whitt Machine Clamp on Muzzle break??
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
kmon
Eight Point

Recoil pad is easy to install and works. Clamp on MZ break is useful though. without the recoil pad though I can take more shots with my 50BMG that doesn't have a real effective break than I can from that Tikka. Sometimes you just know you are going to get kicked when you squeeze the trigger and with some rifles more than others.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbeam145 View Post
No issues keeping 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200yds. Only shot 700yds once and had a 1 MOA group with 3-4shots and a 10mph crosswind. Loaded at 3.29" which is about mag length. Used Retumbo powder and Federal primer
Nice!!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #15
PredatorControl
Spike

My cousin takes a Tikka 7mm rem mag every year to Colorado as his back up rifle. This year he ended up having to break it out and took a bear at 450 yds. We practice in the off season and he shoots it regularly out to 800 yds. One of the guys in the group that went to Colorado this year shoots a Tikka 300 win mag took an elk at 750yds.
PredatorControl is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorControl View Post
My cousin takes a Tikka 7mm rem mag every year to Colorado as his back up rifle. This year he ended up having to break it out and took a bear at 450 yds. We practice in the off season and he shoots it regularly out to 800 yds. One of the guys in the group that went to Colorado this year shoots a Tikka 300 win mag took an elk at 750yds.
Nice!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

ttt
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #18
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

I loaded some 120gr Barnes into the one I had and won't hunt anything over 1" groups. Like everyone said. It's teeth rattling when you shoot it but kills pretty well. Love the light rifles but think they are better suited for the 260, creedmoor 308 calibers.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #19
Keg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone county

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
Recoil pad is easy to install and works. Clamp on MZ break is useful though. without the recoil pad though I can take more shots with my 50BMG that doesn't have a real effective break than I can from that Tikka. Sometimes you just know you are going to get kicked when you squeeze the trigger and with some rifles more than others.
Yes..get the Sims Limbsaver....
Keg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
It makes a world of difference. It is now enjoyable to shoot.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #21
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this but its a bedding kit for the Tikka T3 stocks. It has a titanium recoil lug to replace the aluminum one with steel pillars and action screws to use. $50
http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=59
Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #22
kmon
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
It has a recoil pad now, without it I would no longer own the gun.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #23
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this but its a bedding kit for the Tikka T3 stocks. It has a titanium recoil lug to replace the aluminum one with steel pillars and action screws to use. $50
http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=59
Thatís gona cost me money one day
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #24
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
That’s gona cost me money one day
Lol well I had been reading where larger calibers had imprinted in the aluminum recoil lugs causing some movement in the stock affecting accuracy. I came across that kit. My Tikka T3 lite in 223 is an accurate little dude. So I could only imagine how well one would shoot installing that kit then glass bedding the action.

There is a company outta Montana that sells a lot of stuff for Tikka rifles.
https://tikkaperformance.com/tikka-t3-accessories