Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
russcat
Spike

Default Dust!

We are hunting out west near Electra Tx. The dust is crazy. Everything gets coated with a very fine layer of dust. It gets all up in every crack and crevice. I have a Polaris Ranger Crew we use to get around the property. Even driving slow on the trails and roads doesnít help much with the dust issue.

Long story short Iím looking for ideas on how to keep the guns protected from dust mainly while on the Ranger. What type of systems are you using to protect and transport your guns? Currently I have stirrups mounted and the guns are exposed. We like to keep a gun or two ready in case we seen something while on the ranger. But Iím thinking Iím ready for more protection. Itís crazy how much dust we are dealing with. Any ideas for a dust free system for the UTV?
russcat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I'd just put them in a hard case. Not just because of dust but also if they were ever to take a spill out of the vehicle they'd be less likely to be hurt afterwards.

Last edited by okrattler; 12-03-2017 at 10:47 AM..
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I know exactly what you are dealing with. That red dust out there is the one of the major reasons I ditched side x sides/atv's and went to a jeep cherokee for lease rides. Only thing that I found that will work is a Pelican case with real seals. Dust will get into everything else.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Ray McGaughey
Spike

Hunt In: Menard Co

We have the very same situation out at Menard. After staying several days during Thanksgiving, all of my rifles were terrible. As soon as I got home, I dug around in my emails and found a GunsAmerica Digest that had some rifle covers. Turns out they were being sold by Solo Hunter (Pretty sure they have a hunting show on TV). I ordered 4. Two for me & 2 for brother-in-law's Christmas present. Ordered on Monday and they were delivered by Thursday. I was worried by the product description that they would noisy due to the cordura construction, but when I opened them up, they seem soft to the touch. They have a long strip of elastic that in the resting position keeps them scrunched up, but stretches out when on the rifle. I haven't tried them out in the field yet, but I think they will be a big help. And they were only about $30 each.
Ray McGaughey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default Same issue...

where I hunt in Val Verde and Terrell County. Even when I hunted north of Van Horn, the dust permeated everything. And we were hunting out of an enclosed CJ 7! I currently use a UTV double gun case mounted to the back of the UTV cab. It's a little slow if I need to get to my rifle quickly, but it keeps the dust out.

One drawback is the mice. Someone left one of the zippered rifle openings unzipped. While it sat in the shed for a month between hunts, the mice got in the top scabbard with some corn. Now, every time i use the bottom part of the scabbard I have to check my barrel and action to make sure I don't have corn pieces in the barrel.

I brought it home a while back and vacuumed it out. That was a PITA too.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
russcat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
where I hunt in Val Verde and Terrell County. Even when I hunted north of Van Horn, the dust permeated everything. And we were hunting out of an enclosed CJ 7! I currently use a UTV double gun case mounted to the back of the UTV cab. It's a little slow if I need to get to my rifle quickly, but it keeps the dust out.

One drawback is the mice. Someone left one of the zippered rifle openings unzipped. While it sat in the shed for a month between hunts, the mice got in the top scabbard with some corn. Now, every time i use the bottom part of the scabbard I have to check my barrel and action to make sure I don't have corn pieces in the barrel.

I brought it home a while back and vacuumed it out. That was a PITA too.

Dang mice can be a pain!

I take it your double case a soft case?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
russcat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
We have the very same situation out at Menard. After staying several days during Thanksgiving, all of my rifles were terrible. As soon as I got home, I dug around in my emails and found a GunsAmerica Digest that had some rifle covers. Turns out they were being sold by Solo Hunter (Pretty sure they have a hunting show on TV). I ordered 4. Two for me & 2 for brother-in-law's Christmas present. Ordered on Monday and they were delivered by Thursday. I was worried by the product description that they would noisy due to the cordura construction, but when I opened them up, they seem soft to the touch. They have a long strip of elastic that in the resting position keeps them scrunched up, but stretches out when on the rifle. I haven't tried them out in the field yet, but I think they will be a big help. And they were only about $30 each.

Thank you! Is this what you are talking about?
https://solohntr.com/product-categor.../rifle-covers/
Old 12-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat View Post
Dang mice can be a pain!

I take it your double case a soft case?

Yes, but its got some pretty thick padding. I sprayed it down with silicone spray a couple of times to keep the water out.

Name:  91Gmkzkeq2L._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  90.5 KB
Old 12-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
RJH1
Six Point

Buy AR10, load, close dust cover, done. If scoped, add scope caps, done.

I don't really like ARs for hunting, but they do have some advantages
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
russcat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Yes, but its got some pretty thick padding. I sprayed it down with silicone spray a couple of times to keep the water out.

Attachment 886624

Thanks. Where did you buy that?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

We hunt south of Electra. Dust, wow is it dry. Not a trace of rain for November in Wichita Falls.And very little in September and October. One of our guys said last weekend. It looked like N. Korea had been testing their bombs at our place.

The only solution to get rid of dust is rain!!

The best I can tell about reducing dust in a utv. Is remove the doors and windshield and let the air flow thru. Our 2 new fancy mules and rangers have doors and windshields and it is like a dust storm inside them. My old 2006 model mule has neither and there is very little dust in the cab.

For rifles just buy a cheap zip up case and hope for the best. Bow, I carry my hard bow case in the back.

You can't stop it!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
Ray McGaughey
Spike

Hunt In: Menard Co

Quote:
Thank you! Is this what you are talking about?
https://solohntr.com/product-categor.../rifle-covers/
Yes. That's it.
Ray McGaughey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Quit driving around in vehicles, walk everywhere, minimal dust-problem solved.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks. Where did you buy that?

I've had that for about 10 years now and can't remember where I bought it. I think Quad gear is the name.

https://classicaccessories.com/utv-double-gun-carrier
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
trophy8
Pope & Young

It's dust. Keep scope lenses covered and rock on. Quality equipment will be fine. I've had guns so full of sand you'd spend an hour cleaning it after chasing mule deer. Killed just fine.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #16
russcat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
Quit driving around in vehicles, walk everywhere, minimal dust-problem solved.

Ha. Thanks for your insight. Never thought of that
Old 12-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

Just part of the deal up here. I've hunted in blowing dirt and wind my whole life. Worst thing you can do is have everything swimming in oil and lube. Basically that just attracts the dust/sand and turns it into lapping compound. Go light on lube, hunt, and blow it down at night with compressed air.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

It's West Texas. Clean your stuff when you're done hunting.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

I donít even worry about it anymore. I carry mine in the open on my golf cart and they get dirty. Iíve not found a good way to keep them clean. I just clean them really well after season.

If I have to worry about some dust causing an equipment malfunction I donít want that gun anyway.

None of mine are safe queens, they get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
russcat
Spike

All my guns get used and Iím pretty hard on them. I donít baby them by any means. But I do take care of them. Yíall donít realize how bad the dust is at this place. On or about day 3 we canít even hardly sleep because we are all stopped up over it. It takes a week for the nasal passages to get back to normal. But for the guns itís so fine a normal cleaning wonít get it. I have two boys and a wife that hunts. Iíll have 4 rifles to take completely down at the end of the season. Iím just looking for ideas to mitigate the level of dust exposure some.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper/Refugio, Tx

We just keep ours in a soft case. I'd rather prolong the life of my rifle than worry about getting a shot on something running across the road.
Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I know exactly what you are dealing with. That red dust out there is the one of the major reasons I ditched side x sides/atv's and went to a jeep cherokee for lease rides. Only thing that I found that will work is a Pelican case with real seals. Dust will get into everything else.
Same here and I also have a Pelican for this purpose. When the hunt is done I use a can of Ultra Duster, wind in a can that works pretty good clearing the "hard to reach" nooks. My TBH son has a Ford Ranger ole' truck, sissie needs his truck heater/ac, but even with the windows up his stuff is dusted almost as bad as my UTV.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #23
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Dust!

Quote:
All my guns get used and Iím pretty hard on them. I donít baby them by any means. But I do take care of them. Yíall donít realize how bad the dust is at this place. On or about day 3 we canít even hardly sleep because we are all stopped up over it. It takes a week for the nasal passages to get back to normal. But for the guns itís so fine a normal cleaning wonít get it. I have two boys and a wife that hunts. Iíll have 4 rifles to take completely down at the end of the season. Iím just looking for ideas to mitigate the level of dust exposure some.

I can assure you our place is extremely dusty. I can take a gun or bow thatís completely clean and after 1 day they are completely covered in dust.

As I said I quit fretting over it. Guns I use work just as good dirty as clean. Protect your optics as best you can and hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mike D; 12-06-2017 at 06:21 PM..
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #24
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
You must be new to the area.

We hunt very close to each other. Probably not more than 15 miles apart from where you described.

When it's hot here it's hotter than H^$*.
When its cold here it's colder than S@$*.
When the wind blows here it blows like a son of a #%^&.
When the wind doesn't blow you can fart and hear it a mile away.
When it is dry it's a dust bowl.
When it rains or snows everything turns red!
I'm sure I left something out.

I really like hunting up here. You just never know what mother natures gonna throw at ya
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
russcat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
You must be new to the area.

We hunt very close to each other. Probably not more than 15 miles apart from where you described.

When it's hot here it's hotter than H^$*.

When its cold here it's colder than S@$*.

When the wind blows here it blows like a son of a #%^&.

When the wind doesn't blow you can fart and hear it a mile away.

When it is dry it's a dust bowl.

When it rains or snows everything turns red!

I'm sure I left something out.

I really like hunting up here. You just never know what mother natures gonna throw at ya

Yep this is my first year at electra. I hunted north of Vernon up by the river a couple of years but that dirt was more like beachy sand. This electra dirt is deep red and....DUSTY!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #26
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

A lot of good ideas here.
I didn't see anyone mention the windshield on your Ranger. Take it off when it's dusty. Only use when it's wet. Will make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #27
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
The fine white limestone dust on my lease in Sutton County is the worst I've ever encountered. It cakes EVERYTHING in a thick white layer that is really hard to wash off. Driving around is, by far, the worst thing to do. Of course, some of that is necessary. But it sure does stir up a boat load of dust.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
russcat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
A lot of good ideas here.
I didn't see anyone mention the windshield on your Ranger. Take it off when it's dusty. Only use when it's wet. Will make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Iíve heard that too. My windshield folds down forward. I tried leaving it open all weekend and didnít notice any difference. I was sure hoping that would help.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Keepem coming.