Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about removing yearling does from a herd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say every ranch has a different management strategies and what one may do might not be the best for the other, all the high level management ranches I have hunted its all about the #s of deer per acre. ....

Comment

just shoot the old doe that blows at you every hunt. Get that smart gene out!!!

Comment

In regards to the Stomper/Snorter does being shot: Couldnt a doe that Stomps and Snorts alot be an indicator of a good mama? I mean, she is always on the look out, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          The GW did? Really?
          Why would the game warden have anything to say about managing the deer herd at your property?
          I guess the same way he tells you not to shoot less than 13 inch bucks, just shooting young doe is not a regulation.......yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            I guess the same way he tells you not to shoot less than 13 inch bucks, just shooting young doe is not a regulation.......yet.
            He doesnt tell you not to shoot... he reads the law to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
              We shoot doe fawns in Jan-Feb.

No reason to carry them to yearlings.

Just curious why not shoot them earlier. Why wait?

Comment

He doesnt tell you not to shoot... he reads the law to you.
                I didn't make myself clear. The state is telling us how to manage the deer on our property by making it illegal to kill deer that less than 13 inches wide.

Comment

Kill older doe and cull bucks for a better desired genetic product. Now, by old, I mean 6+. As good a trophy as an old buck.

Comment

I didn't make myself clear. The state is telling us how to manage the deer on our property by making it illegal to kill deer that less than 13 inches wide.
                    I didnt make myself clear. The GW is reciting laws to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                      We shoot doe fawns in Jan-Feb.

No reason to carry them to yearlings.
                      Ok, fawns. What is the reason/benefits?

I'm really interested in this and have gotten a lot of funny/quirky answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
                        you really think a doe cares what the buck looks like?

Not if he's rich or she's drunk

Comment

I didnt make myself clear. The GW is reciting laws to you.
                          I think we are saying the same thing? The state owns the deer, right? They can manage how they see fit, even on OUR property. This GW was just passing on his beliefs about deer management.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
                            Just curious why not shoot them earlier. Why wait?
                            Well… for us… it gives the little bucks every opportunity to push visible bumps.

You still are going to shoot a couple nubs, but it cuts down on the percentage… which if you are careful is very very low… I think I went like 40-2 last year.

Comment

I think we are saying the same thing? The state owns the deer, right? They can manage how they see fit, even on OUR property. This GW was just passing on his beliefs about deer management.
                              I dont believe a GW gives a crap about what age a doe is on any given property when its taken... and neither does the state...which is, with the exception of LAMPS permits, why there are no Doe tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                                Ok, fawns. What is the reason/benefits?

I'm really interested in this and have gotten a lot of funny/quirky answers.
                                Fawns don't have fawns the next year but count as does…

mature does you don't remove by killing a doe fawn do have fawns…

It increases fawn crops.

When you are running cattle… do you sell mature cows and keep the heifers, or sell the majority of the heifers and just keep enough of the new ones to replace death loss?

If someone was always taking out mature cows to be replaced by heifers, what would happen to their calving percentage?

Comment

Working...
                                X