Trailer registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer registration

Bought a 2002 Kawasaki Prairie and 5x8 trailer off my Dad who lives in Tennessee. I live in Denton,so I assume I go to the local courthouse. What do I need to do to register the trailer and estimated cost?

Originally posted by TCB View Post
    Bought a 2002 Kawasaki Prairie and 5x8 trailer off my Dad who lives in Tennessee. I live in Denton,so I assume I go to the local courthouse. What do I need to do to register the trailer and estimated cost?
    You will get 20 different answers on here. Some will be right and some wont. I just got through trying to read the various requirements for the different type of trailers, and it is confusing and written in part Greg and part Zulu! Your best bet is to call or go buy the title office and ask.

I believe that from out state requires a Leo to verify VIN and complete a form for that. Also the current title and transfer form and a new title application.

Comment

Single axle trailer doesn't require registration or title (doesn't hurt to have one) You'll need a bill of sale and your i.d., cost will be sales tx on sale amount + registration fees. Simple as that. Get it done at your county tax assessor office, typically in courthouse building, but not always.

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
        Single axle trailer doesn't require registration or title (doesn't hurt to have one) You'll need a bill of sale and your i.d., cost will be sales tx on sale amount + registration fees. Simple as that. Get it done at your county tax assessor office, typically in courthouse building, but not always.
        Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong. I have a single axle 4x12 and I get a registration notice every year and pay for a the little sticker that goes at the upper right of the plate.

I may have to check into this.

J

Comment

Yes, you have to register trailer (have to pay for them nice highways somehow).

You will need to fill out a 130U form and bill of sale. Pay the taxes on the trailer (what value you bought it for). Then Pay for plate and registration, most likely will have to register as a home built.

Make sure to put down under 4000 gross weight.

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
          Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong. I have a single axle 4x12 and I get a registration notice every year and pay for a the little sticker that goes at the upper right of the plate.

J

Comment

J
            I think he is confused with trailer inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post

Comment

J
                Does have to be registered annually, just don't have to have a title

Comment

Just reread my post. Sorry for the confusion. Meant inspection, not registration.... face palm

Comment

Most trailers coming from out of state is required to have a weight certificate. This with a 130U & Bill of sale should take care of it. Some counties, if you don't have a copy of previous registration will require you to take it to a DPS office to make sure it is stolen.

Comment

Working...
                    X