Hog processing in Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by banzai View Post
    One place that I have not eaten feral hog from, but they do really good commercial pork is Smokey Denmark on 7th Street. When I talked to them in person, their price sounded reasonable for a gutted, skinned feral hog.
    FYI - Smokey Denmark doesn't process any wild game anymore. I believe they stopped processing wild game beginning last year, and they sent out letters to all of their customers saying the extra work demanded by processing wild game was causing high staff turnover. They wanted to concentrate on the sausage making aspect of their business only. Shame, as though they were pricey, the place was exceptionally clean, and they didn't comingle your game with the meat from others.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Fill cooler with ice and get someone to check on ice. I have left deer and hogs on ice for about 2 weeks at a time and would leave them longer. I age beef up to 60 days

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
        johnny is my go to now..

after i found out hudsons does not give you your meat back I was looking elsewhere.- not that it bothers some people as the quality of meats are still good, i just prefer my own stuff back

I had 3 deer done at johnny g early this yr and all came out great, good mom n pop type place

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
          I believe that they do not accept wild hog. They only use domestic pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yes hudsons takes wild pigs they are a wild game processor. Bone it out if you want to save $

Comment

Skip Hudson's, and thank me later. Make the drive to Granzin's Meat Market in New Braunfels.

Comment

I won't get sausage made at Hudson's anymore. It is mediocre at best and it is not your animal. They do a decent job of packaging though and it is your animal. JohnnyG does do a pretty good job. But it has been a while since I used a processor. I have heard good things about the guys out 290 W. I can't remember the name but it is across the street from 290 Pawn and Archery.

Comment

Hudson's jalapeno cheese tastes great but I agree with Stoof that not being your animal is lame. Never take an exotic to them unless you like your axis to taste like aoudad.

I'd freeze the quarters and process them myself when I had time. The craft of butchery is probably my favorite part of hunting... is that weird?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  I won't get sausage made at Hudson's anymore. It is mediocre at best and it is not your animal. They do a decent job of packaging though and it is your animal.
                  which is it?

I had a great experience there and all the products are well packaged and delicious! Quick turnaround too.

Comment

go down to New Braunfels and have it done at either Granzines or Rust's. Both do great work.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'm sure there are great places out of town, but I just don't have the time to go there. Fixing to head to Johnny G's.

Will give a follow-up on how it turns out.

Comment

If you've got the time, Stonewall Smokehouse in Stonewall, TX is the best around. I've tried them all for years.

Better call first to see hours this time of year.
                        Phone:
                        830-644-2006

If your going to Hudson's you might as well take your neighbors dog because there is NO chance your getting the meat you dropped off back!

Comment

Hunters creek will do it. They are on 183 just north of highway 29.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                            Yes hudsons takes wild pigs they are a wild game processor. Bone it out if you want to save $
                            This is off their website and is what I was referring to.

"We do not mix wild hog and deer meat. We use domestic pork when making sausage, which is more consistent in flavor and fat content."

Maybe they will do it if kept separate and not mixed with deer.

Comment

Sausage not yours, whole cuts yours.

Comment

We process ours at home, lots of good roasts that left overs can be chopped up for taco meat on the hams. The shoulders can be cooked whole. I wouldn't process the pork chops or inner tenderloins. Next step is getting a good grinder, we are returning the kitchen aid one.

Comment

Working...
                                X