Aging whiskey at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging whiskey at home

My wonderful wife purchased a 1 Liter aging barrel for me for Christmas. I got it all setup with a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Anyone else used one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see them at the fair every year and they look interesting.

Comment

That was a nice and thoughtful gift from your wife. Whiskey at my house does not sit around long enough to age very much.

Comment

I visited the Holladay distillery in Weston, MO. Last week, and they had a small barrel you could buy along with a bottle of white dog (unaged bourbon). They said that the aging process would be much quicker due to the smaller scale vs. a large barrel. Looked cool, but I didn't care to gamble the $50 or whatever. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Whiskey is already aged when you buy it,

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
            That was a nice and thoughtful gift from your wife. Whiskey at my house does not sit around long enough to age very much.
            Agreed. Most of the time I’m in the same boat with whiskey not staying in the house long enough. Gonna wait this out though. From everything I’ve read the first aging will be very oaky. Excited to try it out several times. I have one friend who takes his bottles when they have only about 2 drinks left in them and dumps them into his barrel. Just ends up with a Hodge podge of different whiskies at any given time. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes not so much
            Last edited by WildMatt84; 12-26-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

...unless it is cheap whiskey; then why buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Whiskey is already aged when you buy it,

Yes it is. The concept being you could take a 4 year old bourbon and age it a couple extra years in a matter of months. Maybe turning mediocre bourbon into better bourbon. Or awesome bourbon into awesomer bourbon

Comment

Cool idea! Is that a working tap so you can try it at any given time?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
                    Cool idea! Is that a working tap so you can try it at any given time?
                    It is. The directions say to try it once a week till it tastes the way you want it to

Comment

It works. I’ve had one for 4 or so years. It really will make a bottle of Jim Beam taste like a high end bourbon. It’s fun to age your own.

I hope you swelled it with water before u dumped booze in there or you’re going to have whiskey all over your counter.

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
                        It works. I’ve had one for 4 or so years. It really will make a bottle of Jim Beam taste like a high end bourbon. It’s fun to age your own.

I hope you swelled it with water before u dumped booze in there or you’re going to have whiskey all over your counter.

😂😂. I did. I let it sit per the directions till it stopped leaking

Comment

I got one and I love t. I put Dickel #12 in it for 2-28 days. It doesn’t get it quite as good as the barrel select but it does get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            I got one and I love t. I put Dickel #12 in it for 2-28 days. It doesn’t get it quite as good as the barrel select but it does get better.
                            Interesting. Dickel #12 is my go to, and I love the barrel select, so I may have to give this a try!

Comment

Well if a bottle gets aged around here it's because it got lost........

Carry on....

Comment

Working...
                              X