San Angelo area hunting reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Angelo area hunting reports

Just curious if feeder activity is picking up yet. Our place is just west of Robert Lee and like most we had decent early Oct movement. The rains came and slowed things way down. We have seen a couple shooters in the last two weekends just not seeing good numbers.

I hope this cold front helps. My phone says it was 30 degrees this morning. Can anyone in the area confirm what the temp was?

Usually hunting hand corn away from feeders pays off during slow times like this. Those spots are slow too.

Anyone try just hunting water during these times? They have to move to get a drink.

Good luck guys and gals!!

Temp was 29 according to my truck. Deer movement is still rediculous slow. I killed a meat doe yesterday morning. She walked under the feeder headed down the trail and never dropped her head to nibble. Only deer I saw. Hopefully this cold snap will speed things along. The problem is, it won't kill any of their natural food.

Comment

Yea we have 5 feeders and we have never had corn pile up. Corn is piling up at 3 of our feeders right now. I'm glad the temp got down. Anything should help a little.

Comment

Chad, we hunted our lease just south of there . Worst hunt we've ever had. Nothing eating corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
          Chad, we hunted our lease just south of there . Worst hunt we've ever had. Nothing eating corn.
          Any of the evening crew have an update? Brett when y'all going back?

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
            Any of the evening crew have an update? Brett when y'all going back?
            We will probably go back Thanksgiving week sometime.

Comment

All three members from our place this weekend said deer on corn was next to non-existent. One killed an 8 point management buck this AM that followed a doe into the feedpen but did not have corn on his mind. The doe coming in was a surprise in itself. Very poor for a place where we are used to seeing 8-10 deer a sit on average.

The clover is unbelievable on our place right now and the deer when you see them are munching down on it out in the fields. People spend big money to have 5-10 acre foodplots like we have growing naturally right now on 2400 acres. After 4 years of not being skunked in my favorite blind averaging 20+ sits a year in it, I have been skunked this year twice in 5 sits and my buddy sat it in three times last weekend and didn't see a deer. Add in the acorns and other green goodies and it is poor, poor, poor on corn.

I can also confirm that it was 28 this AM per the thermometer at our lease in Christoval when he checked it. He said there was a nice frost on the ground.I just hope it is a start in the right direction.

Comment

Driving home from San Angelo this evening I counted 51 deer, 4 being bucks. All but 4 of them
                were in 2 fields. I knew I should have taken off early to hunt this evening. They were definately out this evening but the bucks werent chasing at all, just part of the herd.

Comment

Seen 2 small bucks 2 doe and 2 fawns this evening. That's a slow slow day for that feeder spot. Got good bucks on camera but they come in randomly during the week.
                  Like some have said we had a freeze and hopefully another one tonight. Within the next two weeks it should pick back up on feed. One of my better bucks just showed back up on my feeder that's been gone since late September.

Comment

It's good to know I'm not alone but I sure hate everyone is having the same issues. I'm hard headed and have almost hunted our water hole several times but decided to hunt a hand corn instead. I think my next trip I will hunt the water. I have to try something and they have to drink. My throw a little hand corn down at the water in hopes it keeps them there long enough for a good shot angle.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                      It's good to know I'm not alone but I sure hate everyone is having the same issues. I'm hard headed and have almost hunted our water hole several times but decided to hunt a hand corn instead. I think my next trip I will hunt the water. I have to try something and they have to drink. My throw a little hand corn down at the water in hopes it keeps them there long enough for a good shot angle.

Its even hard to hunt water at our place when it was still pooled up in the road and low lying areas. Hopefully with having a dry two weeks most of it is gone. We need them to start moving to get water and maybe they will stop by the pens. We got two nights of below freezing so we're hoping it starts to turn around..

Comment

Deer are hitting my feeders, just 3.5yo young ones though....seeing many more deer but they are grazing by. This report is from 10days ago, but cameras are still showing the same.

Comment

Last week was terrible. December IMO will be good this year. Only problem is finding one that ain't broke.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                            Last week was terrible. December IMO will be good this year. Only problem is finding one that ain't broke.
                            Yea we have one deer that is alway broke on opening day. He is a corn hog so I figure he is protecting his food source. He is probably seven or eight years old. I can't judge worth a dang once they get older.

Any one else get to hunt the last couple of days.

Comment

I hunt in Menard south of Angelo and can report that the feeder hunting is SLOW at best. (my observations and what I am hearing from the gun hunters on my place) I have hunted 19 times to date and all but 3 have been away from feeders. On Sunday evening, I had a doe stop and start to eat on some hand feed. I went to get my bow looking for a shot, but by the time I looked back up, she was slowly walking away. Most of the deer just seem to be browsing natural feed. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X