No announcement yet.

Trophy Hog Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s disturbing how many of you are so quick to condemn a man for what he does legally on private property.

Sound like a bunch of ****ed liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of y'all need to lighten up

Not like someone trapping a trailer full of intact hogs and turning them loose to have some to hunt (that is part of the way we are in the shape we are now)

Like 30-30 stated, more harm in pouring the corn and protein freely to them than turning a cut boar or 2 loose

Comment

Have you done this in the past? Any pics?

I’ve only caught a couple Barred hogs with dogs. Man those were some brutes.

Comment

Appreciate the responses

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
          Have you done this in the past? Any pics?

I’ve only caught a couple Barred hogs with dogs. Man those were some brutes.
          Yes I've done it before. DM me your number and I'd be happy to share some pics, just tell me what you want to see/know. That was the plan here, but apparently TBH has some naive quick to judge members that don't know how to hit the back button.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            It’s disturbing how many of you are so quick to condemn a man for what he does legally on private property.

Sound like a bunch of ****ed liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yep! I'd be interested to see how many pigs the whiners actually kill. I bet the OP does a whole lot more for cutting down the pig numbers than they do! I'm sorry I missed the original post I've never seen it done!

Comment

1sr turning any hig loose anywhere in Texas(i presume you in Texas) IS illegal.... barr hog or not..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

castrated boar hogs still create a lot of damage. I still trap domestic hogs that have been turned loose or got out. Ill spend at least 60 hours fixing wallows on 120 acres this year. Hopefully I won't break a tractor axel in the process.

Personally I'd never willingly let a live hog out of a trap. You want good eating? Castrate that sucker and put him in your own hog proof pen. Feed him there.

Comment

We did it years ago. Would catch, castrate and dock tails and an ear and turn them loose. We shot a couple later on and they were butterballs. Never saw as many as we turned out. They became shy without their nuts. Heck, some could have died from infection.

Comment

post some pics of ones you've worked on and killed later

Comment

Post up the process - would love to see it. I don't believe I've ever shot or trapped a barr hog. Would like to though!

Comment

Um... the correct term is Barrow...

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
                          1sr turning any hig loose anywhere in Texas(i presume you in Texas) IS illegal.... barr hog or not..

Where’d you find that info?

Comment

There's a reason we have different hunting zones in Texas. Some of you complaining have a COMPLETELY different hog experience than we do. Either you have a hog problem or you dont. On our family land, we don't. We view them as another game animal to hunt throughout the year. We can count on seeing a small group of hogs at a couple feeders on any given night but we are not overrun by any means. No huge sounders destroying feeders, roads, and whatnot. We trap 10 or so in any given weekend and will only release larger boars that we'd like to hunt in the future. Worth mentioning, most guys doing this are killing 50+ pigs for every barrow they release. A huge point i feel is overlooked by the nay-sayers.

I think people fail to realize that THEIR experience is not everybody's... that some people DONT have a hog problem in their surrounding area. Some people trap because its a fun thing to do throughout the weekend and an easy way to try to grow an individual pig for later hunting. Not to mention all the donated meat that goes to needy families throughout the week as our hand traps non stop.

Point is, i think there is a time/place for it and it is not inherently "BAD" as some are implying. Never seen so many people get upset over what a man is doing on his own dang property. Sound like gun grabbers.

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                            First question, how often do you trap cockroaches in your home, or other homes for that matter, and then turn them loose back into your home. Or
                            Mice, or rats, or ants, you get the picture...

Not sure where you are at, but if it’s private property you don’t own, your butt would be GONE if I found out you were turning pigs loose to destroy more property.
                            Though I assume it is similar, I'm not exactly sure of OP's situation so I'll only speak to my own. You are operating under the presumption that we are "overrun" and that the property isn't ours. Neither are true.

1) How often do you bait cockroaches, mice, etc for the purpose of hunting? I'm on the lookout for a few hippos on my ranch with ear notches this year. In fact, I'm driving 12 hours round trip this weekend for just that. I can only think of a single mouse-hunting thread in the history of TBH but it was pretty hilarious.

2) It IS private property so if you are telling me how to operate, it is your butt that would be "GONE." Lol Really though, someone doing this in an area where they've been hired to remove ALL pigs in order to preserve someone's livelihood is a diff story. Not what OP or myself are describing.

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Personally I'd never willingly let a live hog out of a trap.
                            With all due respect, ma'am... they aren't doing any more damage than the hogs you "unwillingly" release AKA "escapees"... These barrows, though, won't reproduce at least.

Carry on, OP.

Comment

information about wild pigs control from Ecology and Management of Wild Pigs. John C. Kinsey, CWB. 2020.

Should I stock feral hogs?
                              No, feral hogs are prolific breeders and can cause considerable damage. They can destroy habitat, and compete directly or indirectly with all other species of wildlife. While many hunters might like hogs as part of the lease, the adverse effects often counter any potential economic incentives. TPWD considers feral hogs nuisance animals and does not support the introduction of feral hogs. Feral hogs are considered an under-utilized resource on many Texas ranges.

The Texas Animal Health Commission has enacted regulations requiring all feral hogs in Texas to be tested and certified to be disease free before being released into the wild for whatever purposes. They may however, be legally transported to slaughter or livestock sale for slaughter. If stocking is desired, only castrated males (barrows) should be considered. Because they cannot reproduce, they will grow larger, fatter and often produce larger tusks.

Nothing illegal about it.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                                Where’d you find that info?
                                From TPWD......
                                As I work for.....why do you think trap/transport not allowed to be released.

Comment

Working...
                                X