Need fireplace surround input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody updated their fireplace? Mine used to match the ugly tile floor until we had all flooring replaced with wood-look tile. Now the fireplace looks dated and I think I need to change it before we list the house.
    Any option where I won’t need a tile saw would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our builder’s standard fireplace was similar to that with the tile surround. It looks almost exactly the same size too. We had them do this with stone without having to move the actual fireplace insert. I don’t recall how much we had to pay to upgrade but it wasn’t outrageous.

I personally would have preferred a higher hearth...one you could actually sit on. That said, it turned out ok IMO.

Comment

That looks nice Rascal but more than I’m looking to do right now. I just want to knock out that tile and replace with something like a stacked stone or cover over it. Just had the interior painted so this is one of the last little details I’m hoping ensures we get top $1/sqft.

I really hate the fact that we even have a fireplace. It’s Houston for cryin out loud! The two or three nights a year we light the thing are only for looks anyway. Dang gas log with glass front puts out zero heat.

Last edited by TexaRican; 04-18-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        That looks nice Rascal but more than I’m looking to do right now. I just want to knock out that tile and replace with something like a stacked stone or cover over it. Just had the interior painted so this is one of the last little details I’m hoping ensures we get top $1/sqft.

I really hate the fact that we even have a fireplace. It’s Houston for cryin out loud! The two or three nights a year we light the thing are only for looks anyway. Dang gas log with glass front puts out zero heat.
        That’s exactly what we have....notice the switch on the wall in the pic?

It’s strictly for aesthetics because it doesn’t put out much heat that’s for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post

I did some brick tiles. Turned out pretty good I think

That’s something to consider. The brick link in your original post just goes the the HD landing page now. I assume they were not full size bricks?

Looks good!

Comment

You can do thin brick, or thin veneer stone...that little area wouldn't take much at all.

Comment

I looked at some stick-on stuff at Lowe’s this morning but it’s too cheesy. Found some spare tile in the attic and might experiment with staining it. I doubt the fireplace tile was ever sealed and it seems pretty porous so that might give me a cheap out to at least get it more in line with the color scheme of the house.

Comment

You'll need a mason saw blade either way if you do it yourself. (All non-combustible mat'l)

It's not as bad as you think for a house you intend to list. Buyers can get over a minimal change such as this in my experience.

Comment

Theres a company that sprays some stuff on. Do just about any faux look you want. We had ours bid which is about the size of yours. It was around 1200 bucks and done in one day

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                    That’s something to consider. The brick link in your original post just goes the the HD landing page now. I assume they were not full size bricks?

Looks good!

Yeah they were about 1/2 in thick

Comment

Well I cheaped out and also ran short on time. Wife wanted a color change so I just painted the tile. House goes on the market Friday.

Last edited by TexaRican; 05-08-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Good call IMO

Comment

Well glad I didn’t put more time, money and effort into it. Got a cash offer over asking price 12 hours after my listing went live.
                          (Guess I listed too low)

Comment

Working...
                          X