Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #51
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

BoB, those dogs you have are some of the best looking ever put on TBH. I know you are partial to them and I can see why, sort of like me being partial to my Rotties!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #52
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Just saw this and don't have time to read all the replies, hope you're still reading. These dogs need LOTS of exercise AND a job. I saw you said you have property, that's great, but do you have ALOT of time to spend with the dog? My K9 is a Mal. Days I don't work I take him out and RUN him with a toy at least 3 times a day. He will drive me nuts if I don't. The days I do work I still have to take him out and run him once or twice a day. My department pays me an hour a day to care for my dog. I spend that or more EVERY DAY with him. If they don't get enough attention and exercise they can develop very bad habits (digging, chewing, constant barking, etc).

As much as I love my partner, I don't recommend the breed except as a working dog. If you're not into some kind of dog sports (Schutzhund, KNPV, etc) with lots of time on your hands I would go with a German Shepherd (my first K9 was a GSD). Much better family bonding, usually not as destructive, better family dogs in general.

Side note, our other K9 handler's first dog was a Mal, very sensitive to storms (thunder/lightning). My dog is terrified of storms. I used to love watching thunderstorms from the porch. Now I dread them. He will wake me up 45 minutes before a storm gets here just to tell me I'm not allowed to sleep until it's gone. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Same dog will run into gunfire without hesitation, but thunder and fireworks and I'm not sleeping.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #53
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Just saw this and don't have time to read all the replies, hope you're still reading. These dogs need LOTS of exercise AND a job. I saw you said you have property, that's great, but do you have ALOT of time to spend with the dog? My K9 is a Mal. Days I don't work I take him out and RUN him with a toy at least 3 times a day. He will drive me nuts if I don't. The days I do work I still have to take him out and run him once or twice a day. My department pays me an hour a day to care for my dog. I spend that or more EVERY DAY with him. If they don't get enough attention and exercise they can develop very bad habits (digging, chewing, constant barking, etc).

As much as I love my partner, I don't recommend the breed except as a working dog. If you're not into some kind of dog sports (Schutzhund, KNPV, etc) with lots of time on your hands I would go with a German Shepherd (my first K9 was a GSD). Much better family bonding, usually not as destructive, better family dogs in general.

Side note, our other K9 handler's first dog was a Mal, very sensitive to storms (thunder/lightning). My dog is terrified of storms. I used to love watching thunderstorms from the porch. Now I dread them. He will wake me up 45 minutes before a storm gets here just to tell me I'm not allowed to sleep until it's gone. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Same dog will run into gunfire without hesitation, but thunder and fireworks and I'm not sleeping.
I have decided against a Mal. Going with GSD. Thanks for the input though
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #54
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
BoB, those dogs you have are some of the best looking ever put on TBH. I know you are partial to them and I can see why, sort of like me being partial to my Rotties!
Thanks. I like yours too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #55
flyby
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I have decided against a Mal. Going with GSD. Thanks for the input though
Good decision in my opinion. Went back and read the rest of the posts and will agree the GSD is also more intelligent. I was absolutely amazed at how intelligent my GSD was after owning labs/lab mixes all my life. Mals are great working dogs, but are very high maintenance. Breeding lines do make a difference, but getting a puppy you never know what genes that dog actually got until they begin maturing.

I will have another GSD in my lifetime. If I do get another Mal it will only be as a working dog.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #56
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

My dog is the opposite. Obviously he is not trained like your K9. He pays no attention to storms or fireworks but is very gun shy. I did all the loud noise training when he was young.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #57
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

With all that has been said.....
I have been spoiled by Bagley for the last 7 or 8 years.
I take her to work with me and never have a concern about anyone being in the building that does not belong and sleep well at night knowing someone would have their hands full if they tried to break into the house.

I know in a couple of years she will be done.

I will be in the market for another protection dog. I owned a white German Shepard 20 years ago that was afraid of everything and would hide under a trailer if a stranger drove up.

What is a good breed to have around that will bite when you need them to but still safe to take to work?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #58
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
With all that has been said.....
I have been spoiled by Bagley for the last 7 or 8 years.
I take her to work with me and never have a concern about anyone being in the building that does not belong and sleep well at night knowing someone would have their hands full if they tried to break into the house.

I know in a couple of years she will be done.

I will be in the market for another protection dog. I owned a white German Shepard 20 years ago that was afraid of everything and would hide under a trailer if a stranger drove up.

What is a good breed to have around that will bite when you need them to but still safe to take to work?
White GSDs are not good lines. The dog you described was the result of bad nteeding which plagued the breed in the US. I had a freind years ago that had a big one and he would tear your limbs off. Lol. Her friends could not go near him.

The answer to your question is a well bred GSD, Doberman or Rottweiler. However the average dog owner should not have a powerful dog that will bite.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-12-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #59
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Thanks for this thread and input! I have read much of the same and I'm very cautious of breeds like this anymore. I found out very quick much the same with the Akita's, Kuma...

What has been described reminds me of folks who buy pointers, short hairs and never exercise or hunt them? After Kuma passed we now have a Catahoula that is SO protective (great) but I have to be on "point" when anyone is around that Myla does not know?

I spent a lot of $$ when I first got RIP Kuma...told by several Vets and owners to have him trained. He minded me, would walk beside me and respond to hand/verbal commands but let another "critter" make the mistake and they were DRT.

Just too many folks who get a "high spirited" canine and don't research to their breeding....not much help but as usual my 2cents.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #60
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Akitas are beyond powerful. Lol.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #61
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Who is this person pretending to be BOB?
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #62
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Livingston, Tx

I have one and love that sucker to death. Heís about a year and half old and the only true problem is he tends to still get a little mouthy when he gets too excited. But other than that Iíve hardly met a more intelligent dog
97JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #63
Canoe1
Ten Point

This is my girl, she's a GSD from the Netherlands. She his fairly high drive, but crazy focused on work/play, doesn't mind the puppy (also GSD, from a friend's family litter) jumping on her or anything. Hopefully the pup will catch on how to behave from her and save me some work, lol.

I've got some friends with Mals, crazy dogs, NEED to have a job to do, not just running around.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Canoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #64
Canoe1
Ten Point

This is Maximus, passed away two years ago, but an awesome well behaved dog.
Loved all kids, but wouldn't trust strangers until he saw I was good with them. Then would love them.
With no training, he figured out how to find my deer, and his last season hunting, he even retrieved a duck from the middle of the pond for me.
I will be hard pressed not to only get GSDs.Name:  1935600_112117061436_42122_n(1).jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  43.6 KBName:  216980_10150159461951437_2053287_n(1).jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  89.1 KB

Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #65
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Awesome dogs.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #66
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
Huh?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #67
myway
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Huh?

Just not use to you excepting and complimenting other breeds so nicely. Just a lame attempt at humor.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #68
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
BoB is a man that came out Saturday night with his wife and cheered on Riley at the Wimberley Rodeo and even though she didn't have the greatest run he cheered her on and praised her afterwards. BoB aka Billy is a good man even though he is a butthurt longhorn loyal
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #69
myway
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
BoB is a man that came out Saturday night with his wife and cheered on Riley at the Wimberley Rodeo and even though she didn't have the greatest run he cheered her on and praised her afterwards. BoB aka Billy is a good man even though he is a butthurt longhorn loyal
Again ..just jokes fellas. bob is usually sensitive when it comes to dog talk except in this thread hence the comment. Did not realize it was such serious subject but now I know. Carry on with dog talk.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #70
RF76
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Do not get discourage from getting a Malinois. Understand that most of the LE, Military K9's come from European working lines and go thru a selection process that required for them to have the requisite drives to perform a specific task. That is the reason for some of the comments of guys that are currently working or have experience with LE working Mals.

I am a trainer/instructor for my Agency for detection work. I have the experience of training Malinois, GSD, DDR/Czech, Dutch Shepherd. I am on my third service K9, all of them Mals. Two of them currently live with me at this time, one is 11 years old and retired over a year ago, the other one is 2 years old and is currently my working partner.

One thing to consider between the GSD/DDS-Czech and Malinois is their life span. Malinois tent to live longer with less health issues and hip problems. I seen GSD and DDS-Czech that have to be retired at six years due to hip problems.

You already have the space, and if you have the time talk to some reputable breeders let them know what are you looking for and they should be able to recommend one that is suitable for family and personal protection.
RF76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #71
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Again ..just jokes fellas. bob is usually sensitive when it comes to dog talk except in this thread hence the comment. Did not realize it was such serious subject but now I know. Carry on with dog talk.
Nah. Bob just likes to talk smack and jack with people. Lol. In this case a friend is looking at getting a dog. Not the right time for smack.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #72
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF76 View Post
Do not get discourage from getting a Malinois. Understand that most of the LE, Military K9's come from European working lines and go thru a selection process that required for them to have the requisite drives to perform a specific task. That is the reason for some of the comments of guys that are currently working or have experience with LE working Mals.

I am a trainer/instructor for my Agency for detection work. I have the experience of training Malinois, GSD, DDR/Czech, Dutch Shepherd. I am on my third service K9, all of them Mals. Two of them currently live with me at this time, one is 11 years old and retired over a year ago, the other one is 2 years old and is currently my working partner.

One thing to consider between the GSD/DDS-Czech and Malinois is their life span. Malinois tent to live longer with less health issues and hip problems. I seen GSD and DDS-Czech that have to be retired at six years due to hip problems.

You already have the space, and if you have the time talk to some reputable breeders let them know what are you looking for and they should be able to recommend one that is suitable for family and personal protection.
Hmmmmm, that is usually the case with American lines. Those issues are not normal with pure European lines. They breed specifically for good temperment, health and longevity. No health issues coming from Novotny's lines or DDR.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #73
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

These are some absolutely beautiful dogs you guys have.

I was leaning towards a GSD for our next dog, but have struggled with whether or not I'll even have the time to play with one of those enough each day. We don't live on a big lot, but have a lot of parks around us where people run dogs.

I guess I'll have to really sit down and think. Or move. Or get a Yorkie Poo. Whatever.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #74
flyby
Ten Point

Quote:

Agree on breeding/European lines, but when getting a puppy you never know what genetics you are getting in that particular dog. We have had two calls in the past month from people who purchased American bred Mals and want to get rid of them because they can't handle them and don't have the time to work them or train them.

I've been I k9 for over 10 years now.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #75
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

You wanna see some crazy folks go on working dog forumns and facebook groups. Man they take that stuff seriously. Lol.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #76
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

There is a K9 unit black GSD here in Houston that we had out to our brewery for a fundraiser to buy bulletproof vests for local LEs. It's somewhat of a celebrity dog at this point and is just an amazing, amazing dog to behold in person.

This is him:

http://www.hpdblog.com/2010/11/hpd-k-9.html

Was talking to his partner and he said when they release Gunnar on a would-be criminal, the surrender rate is 100% and almost instant. They're not scared of tear gas, they're not scared of getting shot, they're not scared of being tazed. Release a dog? Forget it.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #77
abilliott
Four Point

If you have never heard about or been around an Akbash, please look them up. We absolutely love this breed. They are a LGD (livestock guardian) but are phenomenal pets along with their instinctive "guardian" nature. They are big dogs who lay around waiting on you, or something they present as danger and then spring to action.
abilliott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #78
flyby
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
There is a K9 unit black GSD here in Houston that we had out to our brewery for a fundraiser to buy bulletproof vests for local LEs. It's somewhat of a celebrity dog at this point and is just an amazing, amazing dog to behold in person.

This is him:

http://www.hpdblog.com/2010/11/hpd-k-9.html

Was talking to his partner and he said when they release Gunnar on a would-be criminal, the surrender rate is 100% and almost instant. They're not scared of tear gas, they're not scared of getting shot, they're not scared of being tazed. Release a dog? Forget it.
Yep, amazing how many people will fight or run from an armed COP or three, but my cute little 70lb Mal shows up and they're done!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #79
RF76
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Hmmmmm, that is usually the case with American lines. Those issues are not normal with pure European lines. They breed specifically for good temperment, health and longevity. No health issues coming from Novotny's lines or DDR.

All the canines my agency acquires are European imports with European working lines. It is necessary for the type of work that we do. Not even Novotny's line are exempt from health issues. I am telling you from first hand experience, my friend used to work with Novonty's when he lived in Czech Republic. He brought two canines in 2010 straight from their kennel. He breed the pair once and some of my friends acquired some of the puppies. One of those puppies was put down at six years due to hip problems.

Not even the Malinois are exempt from hip problems, I have seen some with hip problems at eight years old. My point is that if he want a Malinois, he can still get one with European bloodlines that is suitable for family protection. I gave my parents one that met all their requirements, no issues with him and he is six years old now.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #80
Canoe1
Ten Point

Quote:
All the canines my agency acquires are European imports with European working lines. It is necessary for the type of work that we do. Not even Novotny's line are exempt from health issues. I am telling you from first hand experience, my friend used to work with Novonty's when he lived in Czech Republic. He brought two canines in 2010 straight from their kennel. He breed the pair once and some of my friends acquired some of the puppies. One of those puppies was put down at six years due to hip problems.

Not even the Malinois are exempt from hip problems, I have seen some with hip problems at eight years old. My point is that if he want a Malinois, he can still get one with European bloodlines that is suitable for family protection. I gave my parents one that met all their requirements, no issues with him and he is six years old now.
I think we might know some of the same people.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #81
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

That's awesome. I would love to hear some stories from your friend.

I was only making sure people didnt confuse health issues of European lines with their American counterparts.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-13-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #82
RF76
Eight Point

Quote:
Agree on breeding/European lines, but when getting a puppy you never know what genetics you are getting in that particular dog. We have had two calls in the past month from people who purchased American bred Mals and want to get rid of them because they can't handle them and don't have the time to work them or train them.

I've been I k9 for over 10 years now.
You are 100% correct on not knowing what type of genetics you are getting when getting a puppy. My agency used to get them at 2 or 2 1/2 years old, now we get them at 12 thru 18 months.

My first K9 was a Malinois from Netherlands- He was 2 1/2 years old when I started training with him. Ten months after deployment he was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in one of his hind legs. Died during surgery when the vet was trying to amputate his leg.

Second K9 a Mal from Netherlands- He was 2 years old when I started with him. Retired him when he was 10 years old. He is 11 and a half year old and still living with me. No health issues so far but age is catching up to me at this point.

Third K9 a Mal from Czech Republic- He was a year and three months when I got him last summer. He is a monster at 83 lbs of pure muscle with too much drive when he is at work. Once he gets home, he is a totally different dog.