Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #51
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
If I'm starting fresh in the cattle business what would be a good ratio number of head (cows heiffers) to go with?
I have 80 acres but only 25 are used for hay production today.

I'm thinking of going with (Br)Angus to start with

And should I do registered?

0% heifers 100% cows, non registered....either way youíre probably not going to make money with that small of a herd. Not trying to be pessimistic, itís just the reality.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #52
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
0% heifers 100% cows, non registered....either way youíre probably not going to make money with that small of a herd. Not trying to be pessimistic, itís just the reality.

Correct. We had 25 head on 100 acres for the last 6 years.
It just cost too much to maintain a herd that small with the limited income they produce. We sold out and ended up in the hole for thousands. Only thing they were good for is Agg exemption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #53
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
We are selling off our herd. DONT go to Buffalo. Their vet dont know what he is doing. Our long bred cows were not palpated or were marked unbred when they obviously bred. Somebody got some dang good cows on the cheap.

Or in your case, go buy from the Buffalo auction. You might get bred cows for better prices

Did you tell the auction barn to pregnancy check your cattle? Also what age were they? I've seen people complain about what they get for their cattle but they don't tell the cow is 9 or 10 years old with a thin rear end. A few years back I had a 5 year old cow that got thin for whatever reason. I stuck her in a pen for a month with good worm medicine, syrup tub, and daily cattle cubes. Shoot a few months later I got top dollar for her. She was a slick looking cow. I should of kept her but I needed the money.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #54
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
Did you tell the auction barn to pregnancy check your cattle? Also what age were they? I've seen people complain about what they get for their cattle but they don't tell the cow is 9 or 10 years old with a thin rear end. A few years back I had a 5 year old cow that got thin for whatever reason. I stuck her in a pen for a month with good worm medicine, syrup tub, and daily cattle cubes. Shoot a few months later I got top dollar for her. She was a slick looking cow. I should of kept her but I needed the money.

Yes, we let them know to palpate every female in the trailer. We had several first time mommas and one older very healthy 6 year old. They were all plump and were with our bull for 100 days. They absolutely should have palpated.

The auction said sorry, their vet is dislexic and they had a hard time reading his numbers on the sheet. He didnt even check half of them according to the records. We got hosed. Big time

Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #55
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
If I'm starting fresh in the cattle business what would be a good ratio number of head (cows heiffers) to go with?
I have 80 acres but only 25 are used for hay production today.

I'm thinking of going with (Br)Angus to start with

And should I do registered?
Starting fresh I would buy bred cows out of a field from a reputable cattleman locally that you know well. Have them preg checked and if there all bread you wonít have to invest in a bull for several months.

Plenty of cows out there to be bought in groups of 20-50 head all synced up and palpated.

Just make sure you have some kind of history on them
Or you know the seller.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #56
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Yes, we let them know to palpate every female in the trailer. We had several first time mommas and one older very healthy 6 year old. They were all plump and were with our bull for 100 days. They absolutely should have palpated.

The auction said sorry, their vet is dislexic and they had a hard time reading his numbers on the sheet. He didnt even check half of them according to the records. We got hosed. Big time

You need to be in that auction bar owners face ASAP making sure he makes things right. What barn was it ? Itís some shady ones out there. Any chance you have photos of the catttle ?
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #57
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
You need to be in that auction bar owners face ASAP making sure he makes things right. What barn was it ? Itís some shady ones out there. Any chance you have photos of the catttle ?

Buffalo. As a matter of fact, they were the ones i had for sale in the classifieds. We never got any bites on them so dropped them at the auction.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #58
jefandaward
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachine View Post
Are you going to offer day hunts?

(sorry....my bad)
Ha!
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top