Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Dkincaid
Eight Point

Default Itís the little things

I hear a lot of folks talking about getting burned out on hobbies like archery. Sure sometimes Iím more motivated than others but itís the little things about traditional that keep me going strong. For instance Iíve always wanted to build a complete wood arrow that comes in around 400 grains. I shoot full length arrows so this is tough. Today I was able to get close enough for me with a set of parallel spruce arrows. Took me almost a year to get enough quality shafts to build 10 arrows. Tomorrow Iíll put the feathers on them and shoot them in my new Lonnie dye bow. Itís like Christmas when it all comes together.

What are the little things that keep you coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Bisch
Pope & Young

One of the little things that would keep me coming back would be if you were to post pics of that Lonnie bow!

I know I love mine!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Dkincaid
Eight Point

Iíll take some tomorrow here is from Fatherís Day tell me if you recognize the location

Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I've loved shooting my bows for 3 decades. For most of them it was compound bows but I shot them often and always found peace and satisfaction in it.
The last 15 years I used my experience to help a couple of young men and a couple of not as young men get into bowhunting and that coaching and help paid off with them learning to enjoy the sport til this day.
The traditional side has challenged me more mentally and physically than archery has in longer than I can remember. Every time I think I'm gaining ground I find out how much more I have to learn. I'm enjoying the shooting, the learning and the people I'm getting to know through it.
I know I've got a long way to go. However I don't think I'll ever "arrive". The journey is too much fun to stop.
The number one thing about it for me is I can shoot at home and in those shooting sessions I find a peace and balance in life regardless of the things in life that may be causing me stress. Building arrows, playing with length, point weights and tuning just adds some personal effort to make it more satisfying.
I used a lot of what I've learned the last two years from y'all to work with those young men at camp last week. Most of them were able to qualify easily using the methods and tips I've learned here. I can't put a price on that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
Dkincaid
Eight Point

Thatís awesome Drt

Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

man i'm glad your injoying it..i love mine...
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
TexKing
Nubbin' Buck

One of the “little things” is the other folk with the same common interests as you... even if you only ‘meet’ them virtually. I can’t imagine that archery would have the same appeal to me that it has, if you never interacted with other archers.
I am sure they are out there, but I have yet to meet a trad archer that was a pure jerk!
TexKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKing View Post
One of the ďlittle thingsĒ is the other folk with the same common interests as you... even if you only Ďmeetí them virtually. I canít imagine that archery would have the same appeal to me that it has, if you never interacted with other archers.
I am sure they are out there, but I have yet to meet a trad archer that was a pure jerk!

Well, You've obviously never net FeatherFlinger! Sorry Jeff, I'm only joking

One of the little things that keeps me shooting is chasing the "perfect shot" Sometimes I walk out to my target and just stack 5 arrows in a 3" circle exactly where I'm looking. The next time I cant put them in a 10" circle. To me, the fun is in trying to become more consistent. This was easy with a compound, which is why I think I got so bored shooting a wheel bow.
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

I spent the better part of 3 hours just shooting here in the yard with my grandsons last evening.

Playing "pick a spot" games, shooting balloons, and other stuff.

It's things like this that keep me going.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
chuckc.
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason

It used to be elk bulging on a frosty morning in the Rockies, or the sight of a mule deer buck, Black Bear, mountain lion, or bighorn sheep in the same mountains. Now that Iím older itís whitetail and turkey just outside the Krivoman.
Itís making pretty wood arrows and occasionally when you do everything right, watching them fly right where you intended them to go.
Itís tbot and the great people who love this sport.
Most of all itís sharing the love of this sport with my son!
Not a hobby itís a passion.
chuckc. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

This keeps me coming back
Attached Images

sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top