Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #51
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
hmm
you stated.. and I quote:

I asked:

Pretty straight forward.. you said it was outlawed for a reason.. whats the reason?
I understand what you're asking. That's requesting an objective answer. Where you said why a law is passed is subjective.

Without actually signing the law into place, or being involved in the meetings/discussions all anyone can give is a subjective, rather than objective answer.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #52
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
I'm all about education and improving my own methods and skills, while using this website as a reference. If you actually go through and read my posts with an unbiased opinion you'll see that.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #53
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I have had some good times hunting deer with dogs when I was a kid. I miss it and would jump at the opportunity to do it again. Times have changed, attitudes have changed, and the way we approach hunting has changed....some of it for the better, some of it for the worst. But most of it revolving around the ability for states and manufacturers to generate revenue. Was certainly a lot less BS involved than there is these days. We killed far fewer animals back then, by t no doubt some of my fondest memories were made in a camp full of hounds.

BTW......this is far from a slam dunk method of hunting, and very low likelihood a big buck will be shot, they normally slip out the back door when the commotion started. The bigger deer we killed were normally away from the race as the bucks slinked away from the action, but that did not happen often. No certainty where deer will go when they jump, and the odds of success are akin to spot and stalk hunting. Maybe 1 out of 10 races would result in a shot. Btw.....deer are hard to hit running full speed.
HNT ETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #54
PEC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
Never been a fan of "Hunting" by running dogs. It's an extremely unfair and successful method that I would only think would be needed in a famine or serious survival situation. I know that if I harvested a deer with that method I wouldn't feel too proud or that I accomplished anything. Just my 2 pesos
Oh yeah and shooting them with their head is a feed bucket is so fair!!!! I assure you even with the best hounds there are out there far less deer are killed than sitting over a feeder.

To the OP go and enjoy yourself, it is legal there and should be an enjoyable time for you.

Take a shotgun with #1 or #4 buckshot and enjoy listening to the hounds work.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #55
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
I understand what you're asking. That's requesting an objective answer. Where you said why a law is passed is subjective.

Without actually signing the law into place, or being involved in the meetings/discussions all anyone can give is a subjective, rather than objective answer.
But YOU used it as a point in your argument to prove the practice in your opinion was wrong.....so were you subjectively being wrong...or objectively trolling the OP?.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #56
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNT ETX View Post
I have had some good times hunting deer with dogs when I was a kid. I miss it and would jump at the opportunity to do it again. Times have changed, attitudes have changed, and the way we approach hunting has changed....some of it for the better, some of it for the worst. But most of it revolving around the ability for states and manufacturers to generate revenue. Was certainly a lot less BS involved than there is these days. We killed far fewer animals back then, by t no doubt some of my fondest memories were made in a camp full of hounds.

BTW......this is far from a slam dunk method of hunting, and very low likelihood a big buck will be shot, they normally slip out the back door when the commotion started. The bigger deer we killed were normally away from the race as the bucks slinked away from the action, but that did not happen often. No certainty where deer will go when they jump, and the odds of success are akin to spot and stalk hunting. Maybe 1 out of 10 races would result in a shot. Btw.....deer are hard to hit running full speed.
Spot on.

OP, I think youíll have an absolute blast. Iím jealous!
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #57
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Have fun and let us know how it goes! Something I've never done and probably will never get a chance to do.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #58
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Have fun its legal and hunting with dogs is a blast
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #59
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Quote:
But YOU used it as a point in your argument to prove the practice in your opinion was wrong.....so were you subjectively being wrong...or objectively trolling the OP?.

I used a statistic(objective material) as support my opinion (subjective). You asked for an objective answer, which cannot be given. My subjective answer is that it isn't sporting.

I wasn't trolling the OP. He legitimately asked for opinions from his peers, because he's seeking validation for what he's about to go do - this is often what we do when we have opposing opinions within ourselves
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #60
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Quote:
I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
Since you wanted to be educated I will make an attempt at answering some of your questions. Yes you have to scout. If you have one dog or a hundred if there is not any deer around they cant run them. Trail cams were not heard of while it was still legal in Texas but I'm sure they would have been used had they been around. Same as question 1. Temp does matter just as it does today. Deer like to move more during cooler weather. More deer movement equals more chance of striking a trail.Wind direction matters same as hunting over a feeder . Just because a deer is running doesn't mean he cant smell. To be successful with dogs takes a lot of planning and forethought. You have to know where to set up, cover as many of the escape routes as possible. Often the deer hear ,see or smell the dogs and driver before they get to the deer. The deer will slip away from them before they strike the trail. A lot of times I was looking left when i should have been looking right. Why it was outlawed has already been answered . It may not be how you choose to hunt and that's ok but don't look down on those that do and some of us who will will still could( at least on more time).
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #61
Bleu
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County - Montague County

I got to go a few times growing up in north Louisiana. The dogs were cool, the anticipation was pretty neat, but the trucks...Dude, that was the best part. Lots of cool old 4x's with dog boxes and Cobra CB's. I'm sure it's all side by sides and wheelers now, and the Cobras are Bluetooth compatible, but I bet it's still a blast.
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #62
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Thank you! Now everyone will get an opportunity to gain knowledge regarding this topic.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #63
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

I never ran deer but we used to run cats all over Mission Valley with walkers it was a blast
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #64
trash2
Six Point

I didn't read the replies but you should go. It's a dying form of hunting and is actually quite exciting. Sure beats staring at a corn pile (which is hard how?). I'm a still Hunter but for the dog clubs that are run correctly I feel bad for dog hunters. You'll never forget the sounds of the hounds! And be ready at all times, the big boys will generally slip out before the hunt really gets going. Enjoy it and go, if you don't like it you won't have to go again
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #65
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Do it! Dogs make everything better!

Sadly its a dying method for several reasons. Most of which are pressure from Anti-groups and division between hunters. As we've seen in this post, ignorance is the biggest problem that creates division between hunters. Narrow minds and misconceptions about hunting methods that YOU don't personally use or know anything about.
Smaller tracts of land do make it difficult to run dogs on any animal. This part of it will only get worse.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #66
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Hopefully waiting on Timberking to chime in.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #67
Preacher Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Sutton Co.

I still have my grand fathers old horn too. I'll get it out and every once in a while.

Haven't hunted like that since I was a very young lad. If I had the opportunity, I'd jump on it.

It's legal up there. Go have a good time!
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #68
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

I think it's great. If yall have the access to enough land, can keep the dogs on the property, and legally can run dogs for a deer hunt, good for you. I hope yall have a great time.

I wouldn't pay any attention to folks that have a problem with it either. How can somebody feed deer, monitor them constantly with trail cams and sit there waiting to whack them when they come to the feed but have a problem with dog hunting?
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #69
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

I was able to do it a few times as a 12 year old kid and thought it was cool as all get out. Definetly not a lay up when compared to sitting at one of my west TX feeders today. It was definetly thought out where they placed hunters and drivers. My memory is out of about 6-8 hunters there were 2 does killed. Was there much management to it? Not at all. But this would have been mid 80s so there wasn't any really especially on timberland in Arkansas. As a kid I probably didnt get the long tradition of it but looking back on it there was a ton of it at that camp. They used there grandfathers old horn as well. On a side note these were $1500 walkers and one came back well after dark with about a 4" deep gore to the throat. He lived but was out of commission for quite awhile and the owner made a 2-3 hour trip to the vet late that night. Looking back on it I was upset the dog got hurt not that I didn't get a deer. Is it my type of hunting? Not really. Would I go do it? Most definitely.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #70
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

That's the way I grew up hunting. My first deer, I think I was 13, was a doe, I was posted on a 2 lane road (I was told to be careful shooting and to make sure no cars were coming), and to be sure not to miss because the dogs would keep running if I did. 12 gauge 00 put her down.

Miss some of that swamp hunting with dogs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #71
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

OP, I don't know how much freedom you will have while hunting this place, but the big bucks won't run long from those hounds. By freedom I mean, if you can sit back a while after the dogs hit a hot trail, mature bucks almost always circle back to the area they were flushed out of. The younger deer will keep running and the dogs will give chase. I remember setting up along a push road waiting with the shotgun for the deer to cross. My Pawpaw would trail behind the dogs and just sit under a tree and wait after they "got on a deer" ( you could tell by their bark if they were after a deer or not). Many times my Pawpaw sat still and shot good bucks sneaking back in behind the dogs who were half a mile away by then.

To answer the question of why it's illegal now...

1. It worked! The deer population in East Texas was extremely low in the 70's where we lived.
2. Lots of complaints from landowners who didn't want dogs trespassing on their land.

While I do miss hunting like that, the deer population has never been better in East Texas in my life than it is right now.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #72
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

In Virginia and NC dog hunting is allowed in the eastern half of the state. We have and have always had our largest population in the eastern half of the 2 states.

It's been many years since I've been on a dog hunt, maybe I need to hunt up some of my old buddies.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #73
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I'm jealous. Something I've never done. Sounds like fun to me.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #74
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

OP: I'm sure the folks you will be hunting with will give you the information you need to have a successful hunt, but depending on the dogs, terrain, weather, size of tracts of woods, ... and about a million other things, there are some things you can do yourself to increase your odds in getting a deer.

The advice AntlerCollector gave you is VERY GOOD advice, and likely the hunter that has the closest relationship to the dog handler(s) may be the one who will hang back, and he's likely one of the more successful hunters in the group. I'd also recommend taking yourself a 12 gauge and 3" 00 buckshot if you'll be hunting in thick bottoms and other woods where long shots are not likely. When you're out hunting, especially if you're hunting with a bunch of folks you don't know well, be VERY careful... You have read the responses from those of us who have hunted this way, and from those posts you can clearly see that it can be very exciting... exciting to the point, inexperienced hunters may be careless in taking a shot at a fast moving target... Be very aware of your surroundings and where EVERYONE that may be around you is located... For YOUR safety and theirs. If long shots are likely, you might want to go with a heavy caliber rifle with either open iron sights or a quick pointing holographic sight or similar... Lots of deer have been killed running ahead of dogs with rifles too. If you've never taken a running shot at a deer, don't be surprised if you miss... it takes practice to take out a running deer with a good clean kill shot.... If the deer is running hard, I was always taught to put the gun on the deer's nose as best as you can. It's always worked for me pretty well. If it was an old time deer camp, you could tell the bad shots... They'd have shirts with the tails cut off... Often times when the dogs are "hot" they'll be sight running the deer and they'll be barkin' like crazy... that'll tell you the deer is close when the dogs are close so be ready. If the dogs are not "hot", they'll be barking intermittently. If you hear this and it sounds like they are coming toward you, be ready early. The deer is likely far out ahead of the dogs... maybe several hundred yards ahead of the dogs. Often, these are the easiest deer to kill if you stay hidden and still. They're concentrating on getting away from the dogs, and may not even be running hard, even walking/stopping and such. They will be concerned with the dogs and not pay you any attention making for an easy close shot. Man, it's exciting just thinking about you getting to do this. Good luck!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #75
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Quote:
Unless someone is hunting naked and strangling deer with his bare hands, they can't say **** about any legal tool choice someone else uses.

And as far as I know, Leon and maybe Burnadell are the only ones on the TBH that can do that...
so .. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Both them guys are sissyís. I hunt with a loin cloth...

If you have an opening I have vacation saved!!. Do it, have fun and post as you can.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #76
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lol, you got your old condescending panties in a wad when I went after your what you feel is a time honored tradition because you're emotionally attached to those memories. Now you're making an excuse for your own laziness and even trying to belittle me as if that puts you higher on the pedestal.

If you haven't noticed, this is a public forum with the opportunity for many eyes to see and would be an excellent opportunity for you to educate the viewers on the ins/outs of using dogs as a method of hunting. Don't get so offended at an opposing opinion on this controversial method, especially when the opinion is warranted (whether it be for or against)
You know sonny boy, you are sure good at using big words and putting them together in a real blather. You see, you don't get it. I don't care one bit what you think. You began your post by knocking the sport and you gave totally unfounded opinions about the hunting with dogs being unfair and unsuccessful. Your ignorance is evident. You even prefaced your ridiculous statement by placing hunting in quotation marks as if to convey your belief that hunting deer with dogs is not hunting... further demonstrating your ignorance. After your baseless opinions of how unsuccessful you had determined this type of hunting would be, then you offered up the assumption that to hunt this way would only be OK if it were in a time of great need and famine... IF it is so unsuccessful, why would it be a good way to hunt in a time of famine... by your own opinion that would seem to be a total waste of valuable time and energy and resources...

Your initial post has no questions or requests for information in it. Your initial post was meant to belittle, and create a negative thought of the OP's request. You only asked questions after your ignorance was called out. Your sincerity is about as false as can be. I was not addressing YOU in my posts. I was countering your totally false and negative statements in your ORIGINAL post. My posts were directed to the OP. I was not and am still not interested in addressing any of your questions, because you clearly have no intention of "learning" anything. Again, my posts other than this one were directed to the OP. Your posts are not worthy of attention and I will not address them or you further.

Maybe some day you will use all your "smarts" and apparent education to gain wisdom but you sure have some maturing to do boy.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #77
Rodney Bauer
Four Point

Hunt In: Juno crossing Tx, Granada Ms, anywhere

Have fun, I love hearing a good chase we had 35000 we ran dogs on when I was a kid. My lease in Louisiana backs up to a fox pen sometimes I can hear them run while I am deer hunting. Good luck.
Rodney Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #78
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Get ya some! Looking forward to your report!
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #79
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I grew up in La chasing deer with dogs. Nothing wrong with it at all. There were places back then that the only way to get a deer to move was with a dog. I always thought it was funny how the deer hunters in Texas trash talked people that hunted with dogs. But, would sit in front of a feeder and shoot deer.

There was a lot of camaraderie among dog hunters. Especially about who had the best jump dog and pack. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Most that do have never been exposed to it.

Base your opinion on being there and watching the preperation. Not what you hear people say that have not even been around it.

Try to setup in an area where you think the deer will cross. Especially a slough or creek where they will try to lose the dogs in water. And remember.... the deer will be a lot further ahead of the dogs than you think. Sometimes there will be multiple deer jump up when the dogs pick up a hot trail. My old weapon of choice was a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster that had a 30" barrel loaded with 00 or 000 buckshot.

Wear orange and put your back up to a tree.

Good luck.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #80
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
Those dogs do not train themselves. Ever hunt in front of a feeder or throw feed out for the deer or pigs to come eat while you shoot them? What is extremely sporting about that?

Hunters have used dogs for hunting various animals for centuries.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #81
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

Best memories of my Uncle were from hunting with him and his dogs in Arkansas. It was a blast, and I will never forget all the years I did it. I still have his favorite shotgun he always used on these hunts. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
gonehuntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #82
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
I grew up in La chasing deer with dogs. Nothing wrong with it at all. There were places back then that the only way to get a deer to move was with a dog. I always thought it was funny how the deer hunters in Texas trash talked people that hunted with dogs. But, would sit in front of a feeder and shoot deer.

There was a lot of camaraderie among dog hunters. Especially about who had the best jump dog and pack. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Most that do have never been exposed to it.

Base your opinion on being there and watching the preperation. Not what you hear people say that have not even been around it.

Try to setup in an area where you think the deer will cross. Especially a slough or creek where they will try to lose the dogs in water. And remember.... the deer will be a lot further ahead of the dogs than you think. Sometimes there will be multiple deer jump up when the dogs pick up a hot trail. My old weapon of choice was a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster that had a 30" barrel loaded with 00 or 000 buckshot.

Wear orange and put your back up to a tree.

Good luck.
Love those old Wingmaster Magnums!! I still have my dad's old model 12 Winchester Magnum... 30" full choke. That sucker loved those old Peter's Blue Whistler 00 buckshot... I liked the Remington because it was so much lighter than that old Winchester.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #83
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyWayne View Post
wow...I'm surprised at the responses so far, and REALLY appreciate the encouragement. I'm 50 years old, and have been hunting in Texas my whole life.

I am having a hard time with this, but the positive feedback really does take some of the stress off of my decision.

Good luck to you all, and keep the comments coming, as I'm interested in hearing the opinions.
What's to have a hard time about? Hunting anything with dogs makes it more fun to me. Love hearing dogs work. Go have fun and post up how it goes!
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #84
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Wind can still matter. Strategy, dog training.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #85
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Love those old Wingmaster Magnums!! I still have my dad's old model 12 Winchester Magnum... 30" full choke. That sucker loved those old Peter's Blue Whistler 00 buckshot... I liked the Remington because it was so much lighter than that old Winchester.
Isn't a tree high enough for a squirrel to get away from that old pump. Also, put a lot of swamp rabbits, ducks, and deer in the freezer with it.

That was back in the day when we were just wealthy enough to own one gun each in the family. It had to work for everything.

I collect Wingmasters and 1100's. Two of my fav older guns.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #86
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Both them guys are sissy’s. I hunt with a loin cloth...

If you have an opening I have vacation saved!!. Do it, have fun and post as you can.
That's it. You're off the lease. At least wear your panties so I don't have to see your little pinkie danglin.

Back to the OP question. I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's hunting the Big Thicket with my family between Sour Lake and Lumberton off FM 421. My Grandpa ran redbone hounds. Somebody killed his dogs running a deer one time. His best friend found out who it was but would never tell Grandpa because he knew there might be a killing.

It was a lot of fun and brings back many fond memories. I killed my first buck slipping out away from hounds running another deer. After my Grandpa passed in 62, I ran deer with beagles as a teenager. I had one named Dilbert that turned out to be a great deer dog. We would get the family set up for the drive and I would take him into the palmetto flats. When he jumped, he would only run a deer about 5-10 minutes and then come back to where he jumped to find me. Sometimes I'd run along with him and bark just for the fun of it. That made for some great memorable hunts. My family still laughs and teases me about that. If a buck was killed or slipped by we could easily set up in another area and start another drive. Does were illegal to shoot back then. Anyone who doesn't think it's sporting has never been hunting behind hounds.

According to one unnamed poster on here I guess I should give up running rabbits with beagles because it's not a fair chase.

OP please take some video and pics of your hunt and campfire to share with the rest of us sportsmen.

Last edited by Froggy; 11-10-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #87
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

LennyW, waiting on updates!
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #88
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

I don't have a problem with running dogs, even though it doesn't align with my personal hunting ethics. Neither does using bait or hunting over a feeder, so I just choose not to do it. I do appreciate the tradition and realize it brings back lots of good memories, especially as a "once a year" thing.

It does make me a little sick seeing a pickup truck with 12-14 dead deer in the back from a single morning's hunt. Killing almost every deer on a piece of property with regularity isn't sustainable.

What most people don't seem to realize is that you don't have to shoot every deer that is jumped. I understand 100 years ago in Arkansas, they needed to put food on the table however they could.

I don't even expect to see a deer on every single hunt, and I typically pass up half a dozen or more because they aren't what I want to shoot.

Have a dozen guys go run dogs for the fun and tradition of it, and shoot three deer. Let a kid take his first one, let somebody really wanting some meat shoot one, and take one nice buck if given the chance.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #89
HR3
Ten Point

Hunt In: AR,LA,MS,AL,TX,IN....

What county? Grew up hunting with dogs in Mississippi and while it's not how I prefer to hunt, I don't have a problem with it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
HR3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #90
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

What was the outcome of this adventure? A follow up would be nice.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #91
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Unless someone is hunting naked and strangling deer with his bare hands, they can't say **** about any legal tool choice someone else uses.
wouldn't that person be hunting by illegal means themselves?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #92
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

In for a report on outcomes???
Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #93
CEO
Ten Point

Did not see this thread the first time around and would like to hear how it all turned out. I went along on a hog hunt with dogs once, and while it wasn't my style, I can see the draw to it. I used to love hearing my grandpa tell stories of hunting deer on horseback with dogs. He told me my great grandfather once said, sitting on your butt waiting for a deer to come by is like a buzzard waiting around to be fed.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #94
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

How did the hunt go?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #95
scoutman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tx,ok,Co,sc

You are assuming it is easy or a sure thing, it is not.
scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #96
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyWayne View Post
Deeeer Greenscreen.....

I am leaving this evening to meet a group at my deer lease (2nd year member) to hunt deer with Walker Beagle hunting dogs on Saturday morning, the opening day of gun season in Arkansas (where I am part of a hunting club).

I am extremely torn, and feel that I recognize the ethical boundary of this type of hunting, but also understand that this is when most of the "meat" deer are taken each year.

I have already decided that I will be participatiing this year, and I am not asking to be chastised, but more interested in the general opinion of this type of hunting. The dog owner is 65 y/o, and has been breeding this string of dogs since he was a 10 y/o Arkansas boy (his words....).

What does the green screen think about hunting deer over a pack of dogs, that have been bred (for 3 generations) to not only chase deer but drive them towards the hunting party stationed out in front of hounds.
I wish I was going with you!

Who cares what these chumps think...go and have fun. 3/4 of the guys on TBH have never ran deer with dogs, they have no idea. Enjoy a dying sport while you still can.

Just for the record, I preferred Beagles vs big hounds. A lot easier on the deer and will give you a better shot

Have fun, give us a daily update if you can and take lots of pics. Its an sport worth experiencing. I hate the tpwd took that right away from us.

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 11-26-2017 at 08:05 PM.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #97
LennyWayne
Six Point

Hunt In: DeQueen, AR

“Deer Greenscreen”…….

I’d like to apologize for the delay in me reporting back on my “dawg hunt”, but I started a new job and time has been bit precious lately.

If you are reading this, you already know that I had questioned the ethics of hunting deer with dogs, and I am now prepared to share my thoughts.
The tradition of this event is remarkable, and the energy in the air on the morning of the first “race” could even better be described as intimidating.
The dogs barked uncontrollably, with each dog seemingly begging to be selected for the first hunt. The owner of the dogs, Tommy Huddleston, stood at the trailer kennel and carefully studied the personality of each dog. Eventually he muttered something inaudible, and while standing beside him, I asked what he said. He responded, “I said a prayer for these dogs. Wilma, well she’s my best dog, but this year she turn’s 10, and I sure don’t want to run her in the ground.” He continued, and explained a little history on each of the nine dogs that would race that day. It seemed that each animal had a “story”, and with that story was a personality that seemed pivotal in the group that it was selected to run with.
The first group of dogs were moved to the 1984 Jeep Scrambler’s catch pen, and in that group will be the leader, Wilma, the 10y/o Walker-Beagle. Tommy proceeded to load his dogs, petting each animal just enough to give it a bit of personal attention, but with a command of authority, implying control upon the dogs. Without pause, he explained to those watching, that he grouped this race to insure that we would see some action. It was his confidence in their ability that he was trying to implore on those of us that were new to the sport (and that was only the two of us, who were there from Texas), and his expectation that we would see deer that day.
As Tommy loaded the dogs, his nephew (Doug Mobbs) assigned each dog their GPS collar specific to their name, and handed out 2-way radio’s to those of us that would be joining in the race.
The energy of the event began to rise as the barking of those not chosen seemed to consume the universe, and it was contagiously exciting, and soon it was as if they were “screaming” so loudly to be let loose…. that it almost became eerie.
I was given a GPS dog collar to tie to the rack on my Jeep, radio in hand, and given a specific spot to “stand” for the first hunt. So I drove to this spot on the lease, and unloaded from the Jeep and took my stance at the specific spot where I was told to stop. Tommy and Doug had my coordinates, via the dog collar on the Jeep, and they radio’d me to stop when I was at the crossing.
I’m standing, holding my AR15 on a mono-stick, looking down a logging road, where I have 150yrds of vision in each direction. Looking through my bino’s, I notice an opening into the trees that was about 70yrds away, and I continued to scan the area. Eventually, I hear the dogs working their way through the Pine farm trees. I could hear them as they barked, but they seemed so far away that this novice assumed they must have gone a different direction.
Suddenly I was spooked by the crackle of my radio, and I could faintly hear Tommy calling my name….
“Lenny, they are headed right to you. Keep your head on a swivel, and WATCH that opening!”
It dawned on me, that the opening was that spot I saw 70yrds away, and I dismissed it a little (more involuntary, than voluntary), as I thought to myself, “He doesn’t know where these deer are going to come from, it’s the dogs that are chasing the deer, and they are going the wrong way”.
As I listened, I continue to watch both directions of the logging road, and as the sounds got louder, I noticed that my heartbeat was rising, and my chest began to tighten, and the excitement became practically unbearable.
I could hear the lead hound, later learning it to be Wilma, with a deep voiced vocal change, and something completely different than that I’d been hearing for the previous 10-15 minutes. It changed into a sound similar of that of a dog that has run a cat up a tree. This deep throated “cahooling”, followed by the yapping of the trailing hounds, seemed to now be going away.
My heartbeat began to slow, and the energy that had practically consumed me, also began to fade. I thought the hunt was over, when suddenly I look to my left, and what appeared to have been a ghost, darker than any deer I’d seen on this property, seemingly built like an NFL linebacker, and was sliding out of the opening in the trees. The creature only paused long enough to focus on my Jeep in the distance, and then quickly transitioned across the logging road, and into another set of trees.
I was stunned. I honestly could not have imagined that anything that dark, that thick, and that massive was living in the trees that I’d now hunted more than 10x. I will be honest and say that I have NO IDEA if it was a buck, a doe, or Sasquatch, but what I do know is that seeing “it” sent a shiver though my soul. It was such a severe surprise, I didn’t even think to look for the rack, and I didn’t remember to look through my scope, because what I saw, was unquestionably the alpha animal in the area, and worth every moment of that weekend.
As quick as that deer crossed the road, the race was over. Thus also was my initiation into the entire “dawg huntin’” experience. I will tell you that there isn’t anything that I can remember, that was as dynamically intense as hearing those dogs howl as they chased that majestic creature from its place of sanctuary and into the world that we hunters live in. I am certain that the animal that I saw was very special, and I know that it wasn’t taken the weekend of our hunt, and it is what brings me back into those woods every weekend, since that day.
In closing, I will say that I now understand the long held tradition of hunting deer with dogs, and will explain that it didn’t seem to guarantee that deer would be harvested, but enlightened me on the magic that happens when an animal becomes predatory and their prey becomes invisible. I enjoyed it, but I’m not sure that it is a preferred method of hunting for me, but it was something that I enjoyed, and feel that I shared in something that will soon become a “thing of the past”.
Wilma, an animal that is 70 years old, in a dog’s life, ran for more than 45 minutes without pause. She eventually came out and onto the logging road, when quickly I hear that Jeep Scrambler lumbering up the road with Tommy echoing a “Whooooooop” into the wind, calling the other hounds to the road and eventually collecting themselves beside Wilma.
It was something straight out of a Remington picture, an “almost” 70 year old man, lifting a 70 year old dog…. with both seemingly glowing with pride, and looking very special to me.
LennyWayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #98
LennyWayne
Six Point

Hunt In: DeQueen, AR

LennyWayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #99
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Great write-up Lenny.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #100
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

Quote:

You are biggest sour **** hippie I have run into on the GS!
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top