Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #101
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

I'm not a hippie, but nice try with the assumption. If you'd like to talk ****, why not do it in my PM? Why be "That guy" that just aims to belittle behind a keyboard in the main thread?. If you don't like my opinions that's fine. I won't ask for yours. The OP did request thoughts, which is why I shared mine.
TexasArchery_27 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #102
Mr Sid
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by the marshall View Post
You are biggest sour **** hippie I have run into on the GS!

This made me smile.

Mr Sid
Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #103
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Awesome write up
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #104
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
That's it. You're off the lease. At least wear your panties so I don't have to see your little pinkie danglin.

Back to the OP question. I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's hunting the Big Thicket with my family between Sour Lake and Lumberton off FM 421. My Grandpa ran redbone hounds. Somebody killed his dogs running a deer one time. His best friend found out who it was but would never tell Grandpa because he knew there might be a killing.

It was a lot of fun and brings back many fond memories. I killed my first buck slipping out away from hounds running another deer. After my Grandpa passed in 62, I ran deer with beagles as a teenager. I had one named Dilbert that turned out to be a great deer dog. We would get the family set up for the drive and I would take him into the palmetto flats. When he jumped, he would only run a deer about 5-10 minutes and then come back to where he jumped to find me. Sometimes I'd run along with him and bark just for the fun of it. That made for some great memorable hunts. My family still laughs and teases me about that. If a buck was killed or slipped by we could easily set up in another area and start another drive. Does were illegal to shoot back then. Anyone who doesn't think it's sporting has never been hunting behind hounds.

According to one unnamed poster on here I guess I should give up running rabbits with beagles because it's not a fair chase.

Beagles - YouTube

OP please take some video and pics of your hunt and campfire to share with the rest of us sportsmen.
Aaaaaaawww yeah!! Now we are talkin!! Thank you for that video! It's been 14-15 years since I've listened to that! Sure ain't nothing like it...quickly took me back down memory lane...thanks
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #105
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

And thank you, Lenny...excellent write up that had me grinning from ear to ear, I could see my grandpa jumping out of his old Dodge pickup, getting ready to let the .308 bark. Simply awesome read
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #106
LennyWayne
Six Point

Hunt In: DeQueen, AR

You're welcome TXDispatcher....it was my pleasure to share the experience.

The experience was a pleasure too!
LennyWayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #107
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Thanks Lenny, that took me back to the 70's in the Saline river bottoms outside Leola Arkansas, with the exception of the GPS!
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #108
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
I'm not a hippie, but nice try with the assumption. If you'd like to talk ****, why not do it in my PM? Why be "That guy" that just aims to belittle behind a keyboard in the main thread?. If you don't like my opinions that's fine. I won't ask for yours. The OP did request thoughts, which is why I shared mine.
Your being "that guy".
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #109
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

And thanks to the op for the report! I want to give it a shot one day
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #110
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Ibe been offered to go in Arkansas. I will prolly go next year. You will enjoy it
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #111
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Great write up Lenny!! Seen that happen a bunch of times!!! ... the newbie is where the deer seems to go... Used to think it was some magical influence that caused that, but more likely, it was the old timers and dog handlers placing the newbies in the primo spots so they'd get a shot... I know I've been fortunate enough to be that "newbie" a time or two, and got my first "big" buck that way with my brand new Browning "humpback" magnum that my dad got me for Christmas... I see now that it was probably not an accident that the first race of the morning I just happened to be in THE spot... My dad and uncle insisted I "sit right there on that stump and get ready"... .

thanks again for the great write up sir!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #112
LennyWayne
Six Point

Hunt In: DeQueen, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Great write up Lenny!! Seen that happen a bunch of times!!! ... the newbie is where the deer seems to go... Used to think it was some magical influence that caused that, but more likely, it was the old timers and dog handlers placing the newbies in the primo spots so they'd get a shot... I know I've been fortunate enough to be that "newbie" a time or two, and got my first "big" buck that way with my brand new Browning "humpback" magnum that my dad got me for Christmas... I see now that it was probably not an accident that the first race of the morning I just happened to be in THE spot... My dad and uncle insisted I "sit right there on that stump and get ready"... .

thanks again for the great write up sir!
Thank you sir... I believe you are exactly right. Tommy knew where that deer was going to come out, and he directed me to "the spot", knowing I'd see something special, and I did.
LennyWayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #113
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Glad u had a good time. A good race can get your blood boiling
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #114
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Thanks for the update. Glad you had a good time. Now you can see why many of us enjoyed this type of hunting. It's not as easy as some make it out to be.
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #115
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Good times. I miss it a lot.
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #116
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I grew up in South Carolina running deer with dogs. I miss the hell out of it. Shooting a deer that's moving at a steady clip with buckshot is awesome. Listening to dogs on a trail is even better. And the comraderie is second to none.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #117
J-DUB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Batson, Sonora, Africa, North Dakota, Saskatchewan

I love hunting deer with dogs, if it was still legal in Texas, i would still be doing it. If you have never done this, you are in for a treat, granted it's not for everyone on the GS, some may have had bad experiences in years past, but for me it is by far my favorite way to hunt deer. anytime i am invited to hunt deer with dogs where it is legal, i make a special point to make it on that hunt. I hope you enjoy the fellowship of the deer drive with dogs, and the sound of a good race.
J-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #118
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Each hunter only has so many tags. That number of tags is decided upon by the state who has wildlife biologists who determine how many deer can be taken in a given area. Why does it matter by which method those deer are taken? All of my deer hunting growing up was done in northern Mississippi. They run dogs out there like crazy. Nobody in my family does and I've never been a part of a hiring party that was running dogs. It's just not my family's style, so to speak. But, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. To each his own. The main reason I don't care for it has nothing to do with whether or not it's ethical. I just really enjoy the quiet of a morning in the woods and watching all that God has created coming alive with the sunrise. It's a little more difficult to enjoy that when you have a pack of hounds hot on a trail making all kinds of racquet all morning long. It's especially obnoxious on a really cold calm morning. You can hear those dogs from forever away. Just gets on my nerves. But, again, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #119
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Great read LennyWayne.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #120
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Great story Lenny, thanks for sharing. I've hunted with dogs around Star City AR and it's quite a rush!!
There's a dog hunter in our area and I always enjoy hearing them when he runs em......
No sound sweeter than a hound on the hunt, especially a Walker Dog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #121
Clay C
Ten Point

Great write up OP. Glad you got to experience it. I've done it once in Virginia about 12 years ago. It was nothing like I expected and the entire experience from meeting up at the club house in the morning to meeting back up in the afternoon is one I will never forget.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #122
417scott
Spike

New to the forum (from Canada) and this is an interesting thread. Where I grew up in northern Ontario, baiting/feed piles are illegal. Up there most people use dogs. It tends to be thick forest (smaller pines, spruce, birch, etc..). Without dog's you'd often be hard pressed to see deer and even with them I'm sure everyone knows how hard they are to get a clean shot on in the thick trees.

Now moose on the other hand, just go wait by the nearest muskeg field and one will show up eventually. Word to the wise, put it down clean and before it get's to the middle of a muskeg field.
417scott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #123
breadman
Eight Point

as a teenager in south Mississippi we hunted with dogs it was fun and its what everyone knew and done . never gave it much thought till I moved to texas at 18 and could not belive you could bait deer with corn here . youd go to jail in miss. doing that . but it was illegal to use dogs . very confusioning at the time . in my opion to each his own ! as long as we still get to hunt u just gotta roll with the laws in each state if not we`d be a federal government controlled 1 state union . that would be baaaaaaaad .
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #124
MadHatter
Ten Point

Grew up doing this in Ar, every yr, and mostly all yr. My uncles raised the tallest long legged redbones you ever seen for running deer. From the bottoms to the mountains, them things could run for days, and I mean days. I was a kid, they were drunk, and the dogs were always ready, some of the best memories I have. They also had a Walker named Judd, out of Hillbilly Mack, and he was one the baddest coon dogs to ever run the Quachita Mts. IMO deer hunting, ain't got sheet on coon hunting, when it comes to working dogs.
One thing nobody has mentioned, is running the dogs down. Sometimes you spend more time trying to find the crazy sob's than you do hunting. There were no gps collars back then, google maps, garmin, etc.. You had wore out county rd map, and half the county rds had no signs. Sometimes you walked 20+ miles in a day, trying to find them, sometimes it felt like you drove 400 miles of county rds to find them. The best of times for sure.
Good write up OP.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #125
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyWayne View Post
Thank you sir... I believe you are exactly right. Tommy knew where that deer was going to come out, and he directed me to "the spot", knowing I'd see something special, and I did.

Thanks for the wonderful write up Lenny. It reminded me of a lot of fun times spent in the woods hunting just the way you did on your trip.

I think I would still go just to listen to the hounds
the marshall is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #126
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

I killed my first buck in Alabama this way in the early 80s. Lots of fun and I'd do it again. Never killed many deer that way though. Much easier to kill a deer watching a travel route or feeding area IMO.
rjtkdplus is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #127
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

oh MAN!!! I AM LATE TO THE PARTY, glad you enjoyed the experience!!! When dogs chase deer it is INCREDIBLE...….us south Louisiana folks only knew this as a method when we grew up. Talk about great times. I definitely understand the private property concerns as dogs don't see property lines and dogs should not go on others property without permission. But in areas that it is wide open and customary it is a total non issue...……..sweeeeeeeet hound music!!! In my opinion, I kill waaaaay more deer sitting on a stand or over a trail. Sad that folks cant find commonality in something so grounded in our hunting roots.
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #128
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Yes it was allot of fun back in the day. I know old timers that quit hunting when they couldn’t hear that sweet hound music to them. There are a couple fellows around here that hunt exclusively in AR because of the dogs.

On the other side of that coin making it illegal to run dogs in this neck of the pines helped increasing the deer population IMO. At the same time sadly it is still illegal to even using tracking dogs in this county.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #129
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I sure miss it.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #130
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Just now seeing this thread. And great write-up Lenny! I've been behind a pack for coon, and for rabbits. But never deer. Thanks for bringing this story back about a dying sport.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top