Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #1401
Danielb89
Six Point

Well,
my time with Sac has come to an end. I commented earlier on about getting her in "perfect timing" with it being the start of our 2 week Christmas break, but little did I know, the flu would visit me for a total of 5 days and then hit my wife for the same. 10 days of my 14 were gone just like that, so I didn't get to take her out too many times.

My trad journey began as a little boy. I can remember my uncle would buy bingham kits and make laminated bows for anyone who wanted one. He wouldn't ever charge for the actual work, just the materials. So a lot of my younger days were spent walking around the yard shooting arrows at anything that drew my attention. All of that stopped around the age of 10 when he moved and it left me bow-less. In August of 2012, i got married to my beautiful wife and for christmas, I wanted a bingham kit for myself. My uncle and I built the bow. It came out to a 67" 3 piece R/d longbow that went on to give me a few different traditional kills; a few squirrels and eventually a hog(August of 2014). In June of 2015, I purchased a black widow recurve that was 60" long. The longbow I built was nice but, at 67", I had quite a challenge maneuvering it around my climbing stand(I had never hunted a lock on before this time), which is what lead me to searching for a shorter bow. I managed to kill my first whitetail with this bow in November of 15'. I have sense killed 3 white tails and around 15 or so hogs. I will add the photos in when I figure out how to get it off of photobucket.
Danielb89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #1402
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Photobucket sucks. You're better off just using Tapatalk. I had to try three times to get my photos back loaded from them. Once I did I closed it down.

Sorry the flu got you. It will definitely take the wind out of your sails. Good health the rest of the year and God bless what y'all door for our children.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #1403
yleecoyote23
Ten Point

Hope you and your wife are feeling better! Great write up!!
yleecoyote23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #1404
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Nice write up.
Familiar story, except I am the uncle.

Get to feeling better bud.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #1405
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.
Default She made it!

I picked her up at the post office at 8:30 Saturday morning and shot a TBOT shoot with her around 10:00 am. Yeah, she shoots that good. It didn't take long to find out she liked the woods that Jeffro made for my recurve. She is a beautiful bow and hopefully I can kill a pig or two before I have to send her on down the line.

Name:  sac 1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  51.3 KB

About me: Well, I've been a Probation Office since May 1991. I'm married to a lady who understands my hunting and fishing addiction and accepts it. My children grew up like I did, hunting and fishing at a very early age. My dad bought me my first bow when I was around 7 years old. It was a Bear recurve (right hand model). Yes, I shot a right handed bow left handed. I had a hand full of arrows and would walk around in the woods shooting at anything in front of me (lost a lot of arrows) I got lucky one day when one of my dad's employees found an entire box of cedar arrows on the side of the road. There must have been 100 cedar arrows in that big box. A lifetime supply!! Actually within two weeks I was back to NO arrows. I eventually lost interest in shooting the bow until 1989 when I bought my first compound bow. I fell in love with archery at that very moment. I couldn't even imagine shooting any other type of bow. Then, about six years ago a co-worker (TxMark) came to my shop to borrow my arrow saw to "tune some arrows". I watched him during this tuning process and thought "He's actually pretty good with that thing" I had become pretty bored with hunting with my compound and watching him got me to thinking. Man, it would be awesome to hunt with one of those trad bows. The next week I bought a LEFT HANDED Ben Pearson recurve and I shot that thing every evening. I was addicted to shooting this little bow. Prior to deer season that year I bought another recurve (Chekmate) and killed a doe with it. I've been hooked since that evening. I now own 6 bows and am always in the market for another. Hunting with traditional gear is so much more exciting to me. Its like being a kid again where EVERY animal is a hard earned trophy. Traditional archery has introduced me to some very good friends that I would have otherwise never met.
I'll be posting Hunting pics with Sacagawea in the coming weeks.
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #1406
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Good write-up Todd.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #1407
DRT
Pope & Young

Great write up and how great is it to be able to pick up a new to you bow and shoot that well. Looking forward to some dead pigs.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #1408
LMButler
Six Point

Great write up HUNTER TODD!! looks like you two are getting along just fine. Good luck on your hunts with her and cannot wait for some pics.
LMButler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #1409
Bisch
Pope & Young

Have fun with her, Todd!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #1410
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

I just found out that Sac placed 3rd in Longbow Wood Class at last weekend's TBOT shoot in Paris. Lord knows how good she could have placed if the guy behind the bow knew what he was doing......

Name:  sac 2.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  167.6 KB
Old 01-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #1411
little john
Ten Point

Hunt In: mostly TX

That is freaking awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
little john is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #1412
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Great write up Todd, and good shooting!! Hope you get to kill a pig or 2 with her.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #1413
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

That must be a miracle bow.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #1414
DRT
Pope & Young

Dang good.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #1415
yleecoyote23
Ten Point

Great shootin!!!
yleecoyote23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #1416
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Practice makes perfect!
I've been feeding two spots behind my house for several weeks in order to get a shot using Sacagawea. It took me two hunts to get it done, but it got done!
Shot a pretty fair group before I headed out to the stand.

Name:  sac4.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  169.0 KB

Name:  sac3.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  128.5 KB
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #1417
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default The Travels Of The Bow Sacagawea

Awesome Todd!!!!

Congrats!

Nice looking pup too! How old is that one? I just got mine about a month ago, and am ready to get him tracking critters!!!

Bisch

Old 02-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #1418
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Awesome Todd!!!!

Congrats!

Nice looking pup too! How old is that one? I just got mine about a month ago, and am ready to get him tracking critters!!!

Bisch

Scout is almost 3 years old and she is a tracking machine! Looks like you got a good one too! They are fun little dogs.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #1419
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Congrats on the pig!!
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #1420
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Well, I guess it's time to send her on down the line. I believe txpitdog is next in line. I'll ship as soon as this is confirmed and I receive his address. I really enjoyed my time with the bow. She is a shooter, for sure.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #1421
Bisch
Pope & Young

Just wanted to bring the current list back up so it will be easier for folks to find!

1) Bluegoose
2) Pigthumper
3) CRM 95
4) TP3
5) SwampGhost
6) Featherflinger
7) yleecoyote23
8) Danielb89
9) Hunter Todd
10) txpitdog
11) Graysonhogs
12) RS3
13) TX CHICKEN
14) Randy Madden
15) PineyWoodsBow
16) Tx Mark
17) DCT
18) DRT
19)bowtechmike
20) spidermonkey
21) Stone Cold Bobby[/B]

Please remember to comment on the Sacajawea sticky thread and tell us a little about yourself and your time with Sacajawea.

Thanks!

Bisch

Old 03-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #1422
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Morning, folks. Sorry for the delay, but Sacajawea is safe and sound. I was out on business when she arrived, put her together and shot her a few times, and then have been out on business since. I really like the way she shoots so far, and Iíll post up a little more info over the next week as I hopefully have more time.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #1423
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Man these 4 weeks have flown by. Iíve been so busy with work that I wasnít able to take Sacajawea on a hunt like Iíd wanted to. But I did enjoy shooting it to unwind. The southpaw side of the arrow rest has a little more mojo in it now.

A little about me. My name is Morgan Johnson. Born in Port Arthur but have lived in Houston the past 20 years. Got three kids, two boys 11 and 10, and a daughter 8. Iím the environmental manager for a large marine transportation company. Even though my dad took me dove and rabbit hunting once or twice as a kid, I donít really think of myself as hunting until later on in life. I did a lot of trial and error and dumb luck for the first few years. I was only about 3-4 years into it when my fiancť gave me my first bow. I would have never even considered bow hunting before then, but practiced with my new bow, applied for a public drawing hunt, and got drawn. I shot a doe on that hunt, and the adrenaline rush had me hooked immediately. The problem was that I didnít have a place to hunt, and I was still figuring the whole hunting thing out as well. That made for some frustrating hunts the next few attempts, so most of my hunting was still with a rifle. The thing I did enjoy though was shooting my bow in the backyard. Canít do that with a rifle in a neighborhood.

After hunting for a few years with my compound bow, I picked up a Samick Sage to try traditional archery. That was way more difficult, and I just could never get in a groove with it. Which is really odd, because Sacajawea was much much easier to get comfortable with. Over the last four weeks I went from simply shooting for enjoyment and stress relief to being good enough to hunt at short range, 12-15yds. Really wish Iíd been able to put some blood on the lefty side, but itís all good. After shooting Sacajawea, I want to get a bow from Mr Sarrels.

These days I prefer to hunt with my bow over the better possibility of success with a rifle. I love the challenge and extra work required, and I get a lot more enjoyment from hunting when I hunt with a bow. Each of my kids has their own recurve, and my boys also have compound bows they hunt with. We still enjoy shooting guns, and they enjoy rifle hunting, but my oldest son and I know the thrill of taking an animal with an arrow.

I really appreciate Chunky for setting this up with Sacajawea and Bisch for managing it and keeping it going. Iíve contacted Graysonhogs and will pack Sacajawea up and get her on her way this week!
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #1424
Bisch
Pope & Young

Great write up Morgan! We all wanted to kill a critter with Sacajawea, but it is way more than just that! Itís the experience and exposure we all get for one another that is the most important thing!

Bisch

Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 AM   #1425
SwampGhost
Ten Point

Hunt In: La, Tx, Ks, Ne,Il

I’m just catching up here, Congrats Todd on the nice hog with Sac!
Enjoyed the write ups from everyone. Morgan I wish you would have had time to hunt with her, she has some magical mojo for sure. One of the sweetest if not The sweetest shooting bows I’ve ever shot!
SwampGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #1426
RS3
Ten Point

Sacajawea has made it to Georgetown Texas. My name is Robert Staton and my first experience with archery was when my dad brought home a Ben Pearson longbow when I was in elementary school. All I really remember about that was shooting at a Haybale in the vacant lot across the street. I also remember my grandfather and a cousin helping me look for arrows lost in the grass.

In 1992 while in college I bought a Bear Whitetail II compound, sight unseen for $75 from a roommates buddy back home. In the fall of 93 I began bow hunting on my dad’s game poor place on the Sabine River near Lindale where I grew up. We had very few deer and the hogs were just starting to show up. In the fall of 94 I killed my first archery deer and haven’t looked back. Eventually I bought a new compound and continued to pursue deer and pigs.

When I graduated from college I had two job opportunities. One in Waco where I had attended school, had two sisters living there, my grandparents, an aunt and three cousins, not to mention numerous buddies. I knew the area well and was comfortable with the surroundings. The other job opportunity was in Georgetown. I knew nobody in Georgetown but the last thing I remember hearing before I made my decision was my dad saying, “Georgetown is closer to better deer hunting”.

In over 25 years of bow hunting I’ve been blessed to take numerous game animals including five on the dark continent during which time I was hunting with the likes of Tom Miranda and Greg Ritz.Tom included us in an episode of his show Adventures Wild.

I gained an interest in traditional archery around 2014 when my dad gave me a red wing hunter recurve that a widow lady had given to him. In 2016, I made my first traditional kill on a whitetail doe in Kansas, hunting with a guy named Bisch, and managed to take a gray fox this last season.

Thanks to those of you that made this idea possible!
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #1427
little john
Ten Point

Hunt In: mostly TX

Nice write-up brother I wish you the best of luck with her

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
little john is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #1428
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Good write-up Robert.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #1429
DRT
Pope & Young

Nice write up. I killed my first 5 archery deer with a Whitetail 2. Good old bows. Sounds like you've hunted in good company in some nice places.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #1430
Bisch
Pope & Young

Grasshopper, your getting there!!! Haha!! Nice bio Robert. Iíll never forget your face when we met up that night that you shot that KS doe!! Btw, Iím headed back up there this year if I get drawn!

Bisch

Old 05-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #1431
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Grasshopper, your getting there!!! Haha!! Nice bio Robert. Iíll never forget your face when we met up that night that you shot that KS doe!! Btw, Iím headed back up there this year if I get drawn!

Bisch

Well did you?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #1432
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Todd View Post
Practice makes perfect!
I've been feeding two spots behind my house for several weeks in order to get a shot using Sacagawea. It took me two hunts to get it done, but it got done!
Shot a pretty fair group before I headed out to the stand.

Attachment 897682

Attachment 897683
I got way behind on this thread... Way to go Todd!
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #1433
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Well did you?

No!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I they still have not refunded my money either!

Bisch

Old 06-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #1434
DRT
Pope & Young

That stinks.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #1435
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Hey guys, I got Sac the other day. She’s a pretty unique bow for sure!
I am heading out tomorrow am for a quick scouting trip on my favorite piece of public land to put up a couple trail cams for the summer. I’m going to take her with me because hogs are open year around on this particular piece of land. If nothing else I will get some stump shooting in!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #1436
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Pics to come!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #1437
Bisch
Pope & Young

Just wanted to bring the current list back up so it will be easier for folks to find!

1) Bluegoose
2) Pigthumper
3) CRM 95
4) TP3
5) SwampGhost
6) Featherflinger
7) yleecoyote23
8) Danielb89
9) Hunter Todd
10) txpitdog
11) Graysonhogs
12) RS3
13) TX CHICKEN
14) Randy Madden
15) PineyWoodsBow
16) Tx Mark
17) DCT
18) DRT
19)bowtechmike
20) spidermonkey
21) Stone Cold Bobby

Please remember to comment on the Sacajawea sticky thread and tell us a little about yourself and your time with Sacajawea.

Thanks!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 06-26-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #1438
TXMark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

I got Sacajawea about 5 min. ago via USPS. Gonna work up some arrows today and test her out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXMark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #1439
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Sorry guys, I’ve been crazy busy and havnt posted about my time with Sac yet.
I was so busy that I didn’t even open the box for several days after I got her.
First shot I could instantly tell the brace height was low. ( I used to own a 60” blue ridge)
So I brought the bh up to about 7 3/4” and here was my first group at about 17 yrds.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #1440
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #1441
Randy Madden
Ten Point

I could tell right away that she was going to be deadly if I got the chance !!

So after a few days I decided to go put up a trail camera at my favorite piece of public land and would take Sac along in hopes that I would bump into some hogs.
I always walk past this tree on my way in.
I think a couple of hogs have been here a few times!!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #1442
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Unfortunately I did not encounter any hogs but it was a good walk and I got some stumping in along the way!
I didnít get a chance to shoot her much the following weeks however i did go back to check the trail cam the other day and took her along again just Incase an opportunity was presented.
I decided to hang another trail cam close to a slough that I walk around and I found this trac of a gator close to the edge.
Not as big as the one last year but I hope I get a pic of him!!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #1443
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Unfortunately my time ran out and I had to pass her along to the next player! Hopefully their time with her will be filled with success!!

Ps.. if anyone is considering a bow from Bob you can be sure you will be getting a bow that is not only well made but is also a great performer!!
Bob is one of the best!!

Last edited by Randy Madden; 07-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #1444
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Any specific location to get your name on the list for the Sac bow? I know it is probably a long list, but Iím considering transitioning to trad at some point in the next few years and figured it would be a good introduction.

IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #1445
Randy Madden
Ten Point

I’m pretty sure they will do another sign up when this one gets towards the end.
Bisch??
Old 07-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #1446
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMark View Post
I got Sacajawea about 5 min. ago via USPS. Gonna work up some arrows today and test her out.

Hey, Mark, whatís happening with you and Sacajawea???

Bisch

Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #1447
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Any specific location to get your name on the list for the Sac bow? I know it is probably a long list, but Iím considering transitioning to trad at some point in the next few years and figured it would be a good introduction.

When we get down to the last couple folks on this list, a new thread will be started for a new signup list.

Bisch

Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #1448
TXMark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

Well I have been shooting Sacajawea some in the afternoons. Man its hot!! Got my arrows shooting pretty good and plan to take her to a 3d shoot this weekend. Not a lot of live targets this time of year so I will try and kill some foam. Will let yall know how things went.
TXMark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top