Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWalker08 View Post
    Looks good!! What slicer did you buy? I’ve been using a large sharp knife but it gets old.

This one. Made short work of it.

Comment

Finally made some buckboard bacon. That's bacon made with a pork butt and not pork belly. Turned out awesome! It was a big hit for Fathers Day morning breakfast. Cheaper than a pork belly, and I think I like it even more!

Comment

Looks good I have 3 bellies in the fridge now!

Comment

I make it every month or so.

I wet cure mine for 4-5 days (pink salt, salt, brown sugar, water), rinse well, heavily pepper one side, add an hour of smoke in an electric smoker, slice to ~2lb slabs, wrap in foil and plastic wrap, and then put in fridge.

I found wet cure to be more reliable, but it is definitely easier to get it too salty if you leave it much longer.

I work almost next door to the H-Mart, so pork belly is always available.

Comment

I'll have to try this.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to post this a couple weeks ago.

This belly was from HEB. It ha a Lot more fat than the ones I’ve gotten from Costco. So far I prefer the Costco ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Forgot to post this a couple weeks ago.

This belly was from HEB. It ha a Lot more fat than the ones I’ve gotten from Costco. So far I prefer the Costco ones.

What do you use to slice it?

Comment

Originally posted by bfuqua99 View Post
                  What do you use to slice it?

Right now just a very sharp chef knife.

I eventually want to get a slicer because the thickness is pretty inconsistent slicing with a knife.

Comment

Homeade Bacon... mmmm good

Comment

I have 19 lbs of buckboard bacon curing now. Haven't been able to find any pork bellies in several months, so I have been using pork butts instead. They are cheaper anyway and make excellent bacon. Cut the bone out, then you can slice completely through it and get 2 decent slabs of meat. To get a nice slab shape, you do have to trim off some random pieces here and there. Ended up with about 2 lbs of scrap chunks and the 19 lbs to cure. I'll probably throw the random chunk in the crock pot or something. My basic cure consists of the pink curing salt, sea salt, and brown sugar, then give all sides a good dusting of garlic powder. I'll let these cure about 7 days, then rinse and soak in water overnight, then dry for a few hrs on a rack in the fridge, then cold smoke for 4 hrs.

Comment

This is great and all but Costco has sliced bacon for 3.99 lb. That dollar is worth the work. Lol
                        Plus in my house, unfrozen bacon only lasts as long as it takes to cook. I could "make" 40lbs like y'all are, but it would go straight to being fried and eaten before I could freeze it.

Comment

Suddenly I am starving

Comment

Originally posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
                            This is great and all but Costco has sliced bacon for 3.99 lb. That dollar is worth the work. Lol
                            Plus in my house, unfrozen bacon only lasts as long as it takes to cook. I could "make" 40lbs like y'all are, but it would go straight to being fried and eaten before I could freeze it.
                            That's too bad, you're missing out! There's not any store-bought bacon on the shelf that can compare with homemade bacon at all. It really is that much better.

I paid $1.69/lb for the pork butts, so I'm actually saving a little bit of money and coming away with much better bacon. It really isn't much work at all, it just takes time. But I don't do it to save money, I do it because its friggin' delicious. But yeah, I make big batches for the same reasons you mentioned, bacon just doesn't last long in my house either. And I'm always giving a few packages away to friends and family.

Comment

I'll admit that buckboard bacon looks hella tasty. I may be talked into this come winter when my schedule empties by half.

Comment

Kinda bummed I found this thread. It has sent me down a rabbit hole I can return from the last couple nights. Now I’m just deciding what recipe to try first, and how to make spicy bacon

Comment

Working...
                                X