Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do's/Don'ts of Rigging a Floundering Boat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do's/Don'ts of Rigging a Floundering Boat??

I bought a small beginner 16' by 60" flat bottom center console boat. Already has aluminum rack for lights on front as well as aluminum rack for air motor.

Having some welding being done on some stress cracks just to be on the safe side. After that we will begin rigging.

- 1994 Yamaha 40HP Outboard

- 13HP PREDATOR Horizontal Shaft Electric Start Motor for air motor with 2 year full replacement warranty

- 105 AMP Alternator

- 32" LED Light Bar

- 8 Jerry LED 3500 Lumen Flounder Light (anyone know of a cheaper option?)

- All new 1/2" Fir Plywood Floor

- New LED Trailer Lights

Going to get all of the steering, air motor throttle controls, and motor mount from Sonny's marine in POC.

Any one have some suggestions on must haves for a floundering rig?

The Do's and don'ts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do take me when it's ready, don't ever pay for beer/gas when taking friends. Other than that only thing I can think of is not overloading the boat. I was just speaking with an old commercial flounder guy, he said worse thing you could do is over load the boat with people. The air motor/boat will not perform well making for a long night of gigging if you are guiding trips.

Comment

Get some led strip lights installed on the inside of the boat. Makes a world of difference. Also add a pisser light. A small led light that shines on the outboard water outlet to make sure it's stil working in the dark. Spare prop, so when you find a crab trap in the dark you can still make it home.....

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
        Get some led strip lights installed on the inside of the boat. Makes a world of difference. Also add a pisser light. A small led light that shines on the outboard water outlet to make sure it's stil working in the dark. Spare prop, so when you find a crab trap in the dark you can still make it home.....

I like the tattle tale light idea how does one go about rigging it up?

Comment

Get some amber automotive tape or amber light bar covers for the light bar. That white light is only going to reflect, not penetrate the water like the warmer colored orange lighting will do. You can rig up cheap light bars of various sizes along the sides for cheap flounder lights, just put some sort of amber tint on it.

Comment

Good info guys keep it coming!!!

Comment

I see lots of them without shrouds on the fan. I wouldn't of ran mine without a shroud because stuff happens
              You probably already have but do some searching about the crank shearing off at the block on those predator engines. They need to be ran with a reduction. Be safe

Comment

Following.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                  I see lots of them without shrouds on the fan. I wouldn't of ran mine without a shroud because stuff happens
                  You probably already have but do some searching about the crank shearing off at the block on those predator engines. They need to be ran with a reduction. Be safe
                  No fist hand experience but I have done a ton of research. The bearings around the shaft can't take the constant forward thrust and give out. Reduction does 2 things. Removes the thrust and changes the gear ratio allowing for different sized props that can increase the amount of pushing power the fan produces. Also I was told to stay away from hascon props. They like to break apart.

Most costal rigs don't have shrouds because there is nothing to hang them on like lake fishing. Still makes me nervous!!

Comment

Also a shroud MIGHT add some containment if the prop decided to turn into a million fiberglass toothpicks. I have saw two do this..

Comment

Don't let this scare you though. That exact rig is ran on 100's of boats across the entire gulf and has been the end of many a flounder.

Comment

Where would I get a shroud and how do I run a reduction on that engine

Comment

Go to bowfishingcountry.com there is more info here than you will ever need!!

Comment

I think you are on a good start. Jerry's leds are definitely the way to go. I've tried lots of setups with different lights.
                            I'm sure sonnys will set you up right. Make sure you get as much turning radius out of your air motor as possible. Makes a world of difference in handling. A built in or strapped down sturdy flounder box is a must. And don't forget good driving lights on top of your gigging lights.

Comment

Thanks guys keep it coming

Comment

Working...
                              X