Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead, but wait till morn.

Comment

If it went in deep enough, it will be too far forward for any lung damage, unless the arrow got knocked around, basically if the shaft was pushed forwards on the outside, so it would swing rearwards inside, then in might get some lung. Guys years ago, used to like for the broad head to get into the chest and stay, so when the deer was running and the arrow hits trees ect. The arrow moves around and cuts up more of the inside of the animal. Now days everyone wants a complete pass through.
      Back to where you hit the deer, if it went deep enough, it should be just over and probably a little forwards of the heart, Which there are multiple arteries coming out of the heart. If it made it into that area, he will be lucky if he lives very long. You probably put it through some thick cartilage or light bone that makes up the shoulder blade, along with shoulder muscle. Possibly got some of the main upper leg bone. Then there are ribs to the inside of the shoulder. When he walks, it should move the shaft of the arrow and move the broad head around. So if it is in the chest cavity, he probably won't last long. You probably won't see a lot of blood externally.
      He is either dead already, or if the broad head is not in his chest, he is going to have problems walking from now on. If it is in his chest and has not cut anything lethal at this point, it's still possible sometime, if he move wrong, that it could cut a artery and kill him quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
        I was trying to tuck it in the arm pit and get the heart.
        I am by no means an expert but if he was quartering away like you said, I'm not sure tucking it in his armpit for a heart shot is the best shot placement.

I always try to aim for my exit and in that case I'd aim for the rib cage to shoot the heart/lungs on exit.

You said he was licking his lips a lot and I bet he was licking his nose from blood from a lung shot. I think you got a lung and hope you have a dead deer.

Bow hunting is tough..

Comment

What county did you shoot him in? Look for a dog in that area and good thing to give it lots of time to die

Comment

I'm on team "dead". Keep us updated. In for LDP's

Comment

I vote no.
              Looks like the arrow skipped off the ribs and stuck in the shoulder

Comment

Sometimes the penetration is difficult to verify in that area, because the shoulder/leg could have knocked the arrow back out some before breaking.

I hope you recover him in the morning.

Good luck.

Comment

I think he's dead but the blood trail will likely be difficult. Good decision to give him time and hopefully not go far before laying down. Follow his tracks if you can and look for tiny blood spots.

Comment

What county was he shot in???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think he’s dead

Comment

He’s dead[emoji106]

Comment

I guess I didn't mention that the arrow broke after he ran about 10 yds. I am missing 4" of arrow so yes he does have a 125gr Ramcats in him still. Looks like I may have gotten a little more penatration than what broke off though. Arrow is solid dark blood on about 4" of what left with some blood spray another 8" or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dark red I say you got an artery may not see much or any blood on the ground but he is on the ground somewhere not too far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

nice thing about ramcat is you got back cut too as it slid back. Good chance that shoulder kicked it around internally creating more havoc.

Comment

Dead but will have to stumble upon him.

Comment

Working...
                                X