Will I find this deer in the morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I find this deer in the morning?

Alright guys, I shot an old 8 point tonight. He was at 20 yds quartering away. I was shooting 125gr Ramcats but somehow only got about 5-6" of penatration. He ran about 50 yds then stopped for probably 7-8 minutes. I couldn't see if he laid down or stood. He was with another buck. After those minutes, I saw a deer right where I saw him last and it was that other buck who started walking off. I was excited, thinking he was standing by my dead buck for awhile, until I saw my buck behind him. He was licking his lips a lot, possibly cuaghing, and shaking his head and tail. He slowly walked off. About 4" of my arrow and BH broke off ok inside of him and there was dark blood sprayed about 14" onto what was left of the arrow. I didn't really look for blood where I hit him but there nothing obvious. I'm going to give him until morning. I am going to try to attach a few pics of the hit which I think is too far farword but should have caught one lung. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 44mAG; 10-22-2017, 07:56 PM.

Looks like he should be dead to me

Comment

I vote no with so little penetration. I would guess thats not enough to kill him quick enough and spill enough blood to find him. Plus that angle puts it barely in anything vital. Hopefully thats not the case
      Last edited by Felix40; 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Hard to say but my guess is this buck makes it. Don't let my opinion stop you from searching. Quartering away it's awful forward shot. Angle leads me to believe that even if you got enough penetration (which I don't believe is a good sign either) the arrow missed vitals. Just my opinion however.

Comment

If blood sprayed out, I'm sure he is dead.

Comment

I would say 1 lung hit. Tough animals and he may shake it off. Hope I'm wrong and you find him. If arrow broke off then hopefully more damage occurred as he walked/ran.

Comment

from where I see it looks like a good hit, thru the shoulder. if it went straight thru you should be ok, if it went forward and came out in front of the other shoulder then idk.
              hopefully you will find him. give it some time. good luck.

Comment

Shoulder is bad spot. I have seen many deer lost due to the shoulder. If you don't find him you will get him on camera again.

Comment

I say he will die for sure. Not alot of penetration like you said but id say he goes down
                  Last edited by HunterU; 10-22-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I think you caught a lung, but man their tough with one lung. I'd call a dog. Tracked and bayed one over a mile last season on the same situation one lung poor penetration bow shot. Wouldn't have got him without a dog.

Comment

I was trying to tuck it in the arm pit and get the heart. He dropped a couple inches which resulted in it hitting him almost dead center body right behind the shoulder. Ideally I would have hit him about 4" back. Man this bow hunting stuff drives me crazy! I hate wounding deer.

Comment

Placement isn't terrible but the lack of penetration makes me wonder. Good decision to pull out and let him lay down. If he's gonna die he won't go far.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                          If blood sprayed out, I'm sure he is dead.
                          ^^^agreed... especially if it is 14 inches up the arrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

looks like a dead deer walking to me...follow your gut and wait till morning and continue track.

good luck!

Comment

I think he is dead

Comment

Working...
                              X