No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't had a chance to hunt east Texas but I enjoy following the thread. Good luck this year to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can hardly wait. Need to get my crossbow restrung and I'll be ready for the season. Before you jump me, I've had shoulder surgery on one shoulder and have had to do physical therapy on both multiple times lol.

Can't wait to check cameras this weekend. Also, since taking down my spin feeder I built a PVC pipe feeder and am looking forward to putting that up this weekend.

Comment

I hunt east of Palestine on the neches river and south of Marshall off hwy 43

Lots of doe and fawns. No target buck yet

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
          I'm in. Can't wait to read all the reports. I'm just starting on my fall food plots over in Leon county near Oakwood.

Are y'all seeing much in the way of acorns? I have one tree over my camp that's pretty thick in acorns but out in the field I'm not seeing much. I don't know if I just can't see them or if they aren't there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          I fertilized an area of white oaks...they are LOADED. Got a stand strategically placed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
            I've never hunted public land. To be honest I'm not sure where to begin.

No different than anyplace else, minus the feeder and permanent stand and the people.

No, really the public land is some good hunting. I have 2 leases and still find time to hunt public. grab a tree climber and get after it.

Comment

We have about 4 bucks around 130", a mature buck around 140", and a 3.5 yr old that looks to be 150+. Gonna be a good year in east Texas

Comment

Anderson and Trinity Counties here. No bucks on the Anderson County place yet, but that's par for the course. They don't start showing up till mid-October, plus a reforestation of the place last year did away with about 20 acres of bedding area. It'll pay dividends in a few years when there's a lot more timber than there had been, but gotta pay the price for a few years now.

All in all I have fairly high hopes for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                  It's a pretty safe bet that if I post pics this year it's of something I have no intention of shooting. One of my stands has a 21pt (what I can make out) NT showing up...but I got a buddy on that place and he's hunting my stands this year. Hoping he groundchecks him.
                  I believe you worked enough with your buddy this summer to warrant a few sits in "his" stand.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    I fertilized an area of white oaks...they are LOADED. Got a stand strategically placed.

I wish I would have done that, but I feel like I was overwhelmed by trying to decide which oaks to pay attention to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      I believe you worked enough with your buddy this summer to warrant a few sits in "his" stand.

Yeah....no, I need to be somewhere else every minute I have to hunt.

Comment

Hunting public land this year after giving up the lease two seasons ago, and completely sitting out last year. Have a few promising sites and about to put a camera or two out.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                          I hunt east of Palestine on the neches river and south of Marshall off hwy 43

Lots of doe and fawns. No target buck yet

Some of the best hunting in the county is behind your shop!!! Those silos behind my plant make great vantage points. [emoji23]

Comment

Henderson County here. Will be hunting hard Sep 30-October. After that my season will be focused on our baby! Purchased an additional 88 acres this past May next door and really liking what's showing up on camera. Couple mature bucks and a sighting in person of 2 larger bucks. 1 has shown up on cam and the other seems to be camera shy. Hope to put some bone on the ground opening week!

Good luck to all this season! Should be a great one.

Comment

Rusk CO here, just outside of Henderson, Put cameras up last week and will be back next week to mow and setup

Comment

Checking in from Wood Co. Should be a good year, cool temps, lots of rain. The bad thing the hog population is way up also. Persimmons are about the size of golf balls and acorns the size of a dime.

Comment

Working...
                                X