2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Both of his G3s are long. they just lay on the beam so you cant see them. his 2s arent bad either. they just point straight back. Almost like he ran into a wall and bent his points down.

Thats an old timer you posted.
    Shrek looks fairly old too. In one pic he looks young, then in another he looks mature.

We think Sloopy Joe...thats his name...is close to 10 years old

Comment

Shrek is old. Three off the other bucks i posted are older. Longbeam is ten. Lowbeam is ten, Hytop is nine. Lucky is 8-10. Shrek is probably 8. Airhead is 7. Colt is 5. Postoak is 7. NineBall is probably 6 but could be 5. That old seven with the drop has been ancient for four or five years.

Comment

To play or not to play... Thats the question!

Comment

Back in the day a 3yr old was old.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Back in the day a 3yr old was old.
            Yeah... noone in East tx had a freakn clue how old a deer was. Without history, its still that way.. The gurus on this forum are good at west tx deer but they cant get mature east tx deer. To tell you the truth, i cant either. its amazing how history on these deer contradicts what the gurus teach. you could post your deer with no history and get lots of 5 yr old guesses when he is actually twice that old.

That junker I posted named Lucky? I have pics of him that i would swear he is a two year old. i know better though because he was fully mature and maybe post mature two years ago when Jooger shot an arrow through him. he survived but his horns went down hill. Thats why i call him "Lucky".

Comment

The history is kind of cool nowadays. I remember back in the day the lease would run a contest on oldest doe & buck winning you free lease dues the following year. Lots of tie breakers on first one killed aged at 7+ bc that's all SFA would go to on jawbones.

The ones I've been shooting 5+and even7+ really aren't showing a ton of toothwear.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                The history is kind of cool nowadays. I remember back in the day the lease would run a contest on oldest doe & buck winning you free lease dues the following year. Lots of tie breakers on first one killed aged at 7+ bc that's all SFA would go to on jawbones.

The ones I've been shooting 5+and even7+ really aren't showing a ton of toothwear.
                Absolutely correct. That tooth wear deal is based on south or west tx deer too. Having tons of history on these deer blow me away. i still look at their teeth but with the understanding that diet drastically effects tooth wear.

Comment

Clearly a fine little two year old????
                  Attached Files

Comment

Clearly a fine little two year old????
                    I have a honest question that is derived straight from curiosity. If a new buck shows up during a sit, how do you make the call to shoot or not? With old deer looking young, what do you personally look for? By no means am I questioning this deer, I know you know your deer. I'm looking to pick your brain. I'm just curious that if you were hunting a new spot, without score being a factor, why would you, or wouldn't you, shoot this deer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                      I have a honest question that is derived straight from curiosity. If a new buck shows up during a sit, how do you make the call to shoot or not? With old deer looking young, what do you personally look for? By no means am I questioning this deer, I know you know your deer. I'm looking to pick your brain. I'm just curious that if you were hunting a new spot, without score being a factor, why would you, or wouldn't you, shoot this deer?

Some old deer look old. Actually that deer looks old as Moses. just not in that pic. Thats the same deer i posted on the previous page with pics taken two weeks later. No doubt i have passed old deer that looked young. i have also killed young deer. I can generally tell immature, mature, post mature pretty well. I do realize though that there are serious outlyers.

Comment

Some old deer look old. Actually that deer looks old as Moses. just not in that pic. Thats the same deer i posted on the previous page with pics taken two weeks later. No doubt i have passed old deer that looked young. i have also killed young deer. I can generally tell immature, mature, post mature pretty well. I do realize though that there are serious outlyers.
                        Good deal. First set of pics I thought ancient as well. Just didn't know if you had a trick or 2 up your sleeve! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                          Good deal. First set of pics I thought ancient as well. Just didn't know if you had a trick or 2 up your sleeve! Thanks

Over the past couple years i have posted several old deer that get younger at 10,11,12. without history, i would never have guessed it on a couple of them.

The vast majority though just show immature, mature,, post mature. I can tell you though, if a big deer shows up with no history and one of my folks want him, Im generally going to make sausage out of that sucker. Its the known age whoppers that I just cant let them shoot until... well until i decide too!

Comment

Yeah... noone in East tx had a freakn clue how old a deer was. Without history, its still that way.. The gurus on this forum are good at west tx deer but they cant get mature east tx deer. To tell you the truth, i cant either. its amazing how history on these deer contradicts what the gurus teach. you could post your deer with no history and get lots of 5 yr old guesses when he is actually twice that old.

That junker I posted named Lucky? I have pics of him that i would swear he is a two year old. i know better though because he was fully mature and maybe post mature two years ago when Jooger shot an arrow through him. he survived but his horns went down hill. Thats why i call him "Lucky".
                            Agree totally. Im convinced that SETx browse is very soft and now with lots of people putting in plots there is even more nutrition with less tooth wear. So unless you have history you really have no idea of age

Comment

Over the past couple years i have posted several old deer that get younger at 10,11,12. without history, i would never have guessed it on a couple of them.

The vast majority though just show immature, mature,, post mature. I can tell you though, if a big deer shows up with no history and one of my folks want him, Im generally going to make sausage out of that sucker. Its the known age whoppers that I just cant let them shoot until... well until i decide too!
                              That's why I like following your posts. You keep hunting as hunting should be and don't get too caught up with giant deer though you do grow them!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-20 22-19-04 M 2_5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	24511177

Just for grins, take a guess how old this deer is.

He was taken last year on our lease. Ive got a pretty good idea how old he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X