No announcement yet.

Spartan GoCam: solar panel & battery help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait - I'm running a 12v wth panel and a step down transformer to 6v. I get about 2 month but what I hate is the $30 investment in energizer AA lithiums every 2 months.

Comment

I'm running a 10 watt solar panel and a 12 volt feeder battery with the 12 volt reducer and battery tender charge controller. Haven't touched this Spartan since June and the battery is still full and it's taken thousands of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        I'm running a 10 watt solar panel and a 12 volt feeder battery with the 12 volt reducer and battery tender charge controller. Haven't touched this Spartan since June and the battery is still full and it's taken thousands of pictures.

Pics and parts list?

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
          Can't wait - I'm running a 12v wth panel and a step down transformer to 6v. I get about 2 month but what I hate is the $30 investment in energizer AA lithiums every 2 months.

Either you're not getting enough sunlight or your panel is too small. How many pictures a day do you get? Have you ever tried with alkalines instead of lithiums to see how long it last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post

Are you using the covert reducer cable?

Comment

I would not use the Covert reducer cable. Folks have used them for years without issue, but they've had issues with them this year. Usually it was just the converter going up in smoke as soon as you plugged in the battery. I had one I had been using for several months "fail" and allow 12v to go to my 6v camera...killed it. I'm not enough of an electrician to know what happened, but when I put meter on cable it was showing 12v instead of 6.

Comment

I asked the guy who owns Spartan when he thought the new battery boxes would be available for purchase. He said sometime in March. As soon as I get my hands on one I'll post up some pics & details about the final product.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                  I asked the guy who owns Spartan when he thought the new battery boxes would be available for purchase. He said sometime in March. As soon as I get my hands on one I'll post up some pics & details about the final product.

Please do. I like my new Covert battery system with the panel and rechargeable Eneloops AAs so far but I'd look into a Spartan if they could get one to work without having to jump through hoops for the better IR and HD pic. It would be nice if they could bypass the AAs and go straight to the external.
                  Last edited by Smart; 01-27-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

From what I saw of the prototype it will come with wires out to camera and to solar panel. Wires are housed in a small diameter flexible coated "conduit." Inside the box it looked the voltage converter and overcharge protection were in one device mounted on one end of box. LCD screen where I would assume you would tell unit whether you were using 6v or 12v power source.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post

Thanks Roscoe - great info, really looking forward to seeing this product hit the shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Please do. I like my new Covert battery system with the panel and rechargeable Eneloops AAs so far but I'd look into a Spartan if they could get one to work without having to jump through hoops for the better IR and HD pic. It would be nice if they could bypass the AAs and go straight to the external.
                        You can run the Spartan on external only if you want, doesn't need AA's.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          You can run the Spartan on external only if you want, doesn't need AA's.
                          You can, but I still like having batteries in the camera as backup in case something happens to the external setup. A dozen alkaline batteries is cheap backup.

Comment

My 10W panel is working flawlessly with 12-6v convertor cord. But yes I have been thru 3 of the cords in smoke.....They sent me 3 more for free

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              My 10W panel is working flawlessly with 12-6v convertor cord. But yes I have been thru 3 of the cords in smoke.....They sent me 3 more for free
                              Anyone aware of a converter cord made by someone other than Covert?

Comment

My battery is an electric fence battery, Zareba 6V, 14AMP Model #0045146001R. I have the camera hooked directly to the battery right now using the Covert converter cable. The battery has been running the camera for about a month so far but I would like to add a solar panel. Just trying to find a panel that will work with this setup?

Comment

Working...
                                X