Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rounder are you reading?

Comment

Steve it's always a pleasure reading your threads and experiencing these hunts as you tell them. You make hard work, careful planning and patience look so easy.

Comment

Please keep these stories coming! Got me on the edge of my seat each time.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
          Please keep these stories coming! Got me on the edge of my seat each time.
          Me too !! Thanks for the write up

Comment

X3!!!!!!!

Comment

Great tales, well told, Garguy. Thanks for sharing. Was hoping that we'd get the story of that beast in your avatar.

Comment

I'll back in the DCNF this year. We had some good hunts last year. GarGuy, you'll have to let me buy you lunch at the cafe.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Yep I have pics but they are Kodiak instamatic.
                  Very good information and story!

As far as the pictures, take a picture of a picture.....

Comment

I wish we could feed at the public land where I hunt! I'd make a trip there twice a week!

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                      i generally dont have a lot to say, (here at least) but i opened this thread hoping it was a garguy thread. sir i would love to have a cold one and just listen to your stories. it seems you, not the dos equis man, are the most interesting man in the world... haha full of east tx knowledge
                      I think this most every time I open up a garguy thread. Good read sir

Comment

Ol Runner

There was a big wide 10 point with split brows that I hunted hard. His core area was a big weed field and he holed up in there every day. I started hunting him at 5.5 and sneaked around that field every way I could figure. I saw him a couple of times during season three years in a row but every time, he had me busted and was running straight away thus the name.

When he was either 9 or ten, I had hunted him all season again. this was the fifth year I had hunted this particular deer and figured he was 5.5 when I started. One rainy day in December, I decided to take my climbing stand and circle all the way around instead of coming in from the road. there was a skinny pine n the edge that I figured I could climb. I got there and climbed about 30ft up and pulled my gun up with me. I made a swing across the field with my binos and something white caught my attention. It was his throat patch. he was laying in the weeds about 100yds out looking directly at me. I eased the gun up and shot him right at the base of his skull. I would guess that he didn't want to give up his dry spot because he certainly had me pegged again. He was just a shadow of what he had been but I mounted him anyway! He had dropped back to a 9pt typical with only one split brow. He was still 20.5 inside and heavy though.

One more thing....When the gun went off a giant deer jumped up that I didn't know was there. HUGE 8pt with his right ear almost ripped off. I only had one tag left and ol Runner was down. The next year ..Nov 16th I killed that 8pt and he scored 154.

Comment

Ol Freaky

The place I lived at the time bordered National forest and they cut a huge clearcut behind my house and right up to my yard. The next summer there was a crazy bachelor group in that clearcut with 13 mature bucks. In late August, I invited a friend and we went back there to watch for them. They came in and one of them had crazy mass and appeared to be shedding velvet already. there were strips hanging off his massive rack everywhere. I watched him every day for the next couple of weeks and it soon became obvious that it wasn't strips of velvet but velvet covered drop tines! Seven of them! When the group was polished, they split up and he was gone.
                          I didn't see him again until Nov 29th. I was bowhunting behind a big green field less than a mile away from home. I walked up to an offset in the field and there he was eating wheat at 10am! Now he was on private property that belonged to an elderly fellow that had a terrible reputation for being a hermit and mean. That evening, I got my nerve up, grabbed a few packs of back strap and some of Moms jelly before heading to his house. I nocked on the door and he answered gruffly that he was coming. HUGE MAN! He asked what I wanted in no friendly way. I told him I was his neighbor down the road that had just moved there the year before and he invited me in. I gave him the jelly and asked if he liked deer meat before handing him the sliced backstrap.

Man his eyes lit up! Yes he did but hadn't had any in years because of a badly broken ankle that never healed well. Now that brought me to the subject of hunting his property. I told him he would never run out of deer meat if he let me hunt that green field behind his house. Now he thought a minute and said he didn't think there were any deer coming in there. I assured him they were but were using the lay of the land to stay out of sight. No problem!

I didn't have another day off until four days later on Dec 2nd. I walked in down the bottom of a creek and climbed a big sweetgum that gave me a view of the small pocket. Deer poured in. Three bucks and several does. Then another huge doe. All the other deer gave her room. heck even a nice 8pt gave her space. Biggest doe I have ever seen! She was 40yds and facing me when I took another look. I almost fainted. Two big bloody spots on her head! I stopped by the old mans house on the way out and told him what I saw. He said, Oh yeah, I found a big ol ugly horn out there this morning. It was his right side. 8 inch bases and 17 scoreable points. Ill shorten he rest of the story but a cousin found the other side and had them mounted. Scored 220 without spread.

I never saw him again. If he had kept his antlers one more day.....He was ancient and probably running out of gas. Shed Dec 2nd 1984.

Comment

Again, thanks for sharing these stories.

Sometimes all you gotta do is ask, and sometimes you need to take off work a day earlier!!!

Thanks again..

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                              I wish we could feed at the public land where I hunt! I'd make a trip there twice a week!
                              We cant feed DCNF anymore. If you can find a couple acres of private that border your thicket, it would be a golden spot.

Comment

i generally dont have a lot to say, (here at least) but i opened this thread hoping it was a garguy thread. sir i would love to have a cold one and just listen to your stories. it seems you, not the dos equis man, are the most interesting man in the world... haha full of east tx knowledge
                                You have no idea how true this statement is.

Steve and I met about 12 or so years ago at a skeet shoot. He had just started the GarGuy's videos and told me how to get one. He started calling us boys the 870 club poking innocent fun at our cheap shotguns.

Later I recognized the deer in his avatar here and shot him a PM saying I could tell him where he killed that deer and what season it was because I had been hunting him. We struck up PM conversations and later we exchanged numbers because he lives not terribly far from where my current lease is. I work 14/14 and my wife was hunting a lot while I was gone. Steve offered to help if she needed it.

Since then, more accurately over the past year, Steve and I have become good friends. He helped me trail up a fine E. Tx deer this year, and I did the same for him a few times. We've fished together, and recently dug up some arrowheads together.

To say Steve and his dad are interesting people would be a VAST understatement. He's without question one of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of shaking hands with. I have a level of respect for him that I can't really explain. Stories like the one told here will go on for days and days on end in his company.

Sometimes he'd tell one and you'll think, "that deer wasn't that big" or "I'm sure it didn't happen exactly like that" and then he'll produce pictures, video, or eye witness! Now, he could tell me he rode a unicorn and threw the head rope on a black panther while his dad caught the heels riding Bigfoot and I wouldn't question the story.

A finer friend I've never had, and a more interesting man I've never met.

Comment

Working...
                                X