No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The public land I hunt has tons....and I mean tons of thickets. Lots of acorns too. Its bow only and the pressure usually is not too bad but its east Texas and it doesn't take long and they go nocturnal pretty quick. Pinch points are usually my best bet. I find the areas where if they want to stay in the thick stuff and still travel they have to come thru some sort of bottleneck.

Comment

I continued to corn the spot and the deer really started hitting it again. Ten days later I was in the same stand for my first hunt there. My daughter was in preschool and I needed to pick her up at 1130am. Knowing it was a late morning stand, I was still sitting there at 11 and hadn't seen a deer. I caught a glimps of motion at edge of my lane...ANTLERS! He stepped in and it was a 19 inch 8pt with long sweeping beams. BOOM! I shot him in the base of the neck as I didn't want a trail. I drug him out to the road and a passing truck stopped and helped me load him. Big mature buck that scored in the high 130s as an 8pt.

I had to haul butt to make it t school by the time my daughter was out. I had the tailgate down and there were people turning around trying to stop me to see the deer. He was really showy with the width an long beams but not much mass. When I got to school, I was running a few minutes late so I parked and hurried in. Taylor was jabbering about her day as we walked out. When she could see the truck, there was a big crowd around the bed! DID YOU KILL A BIG BUCK DADDY???????? "Yep". Well she took off and elbowed her way up to the tailgate where she was really let down. " I thought you said you killed a big one?" I said, "yeah but look how wide he is!" She replied, "Yes but his horns are kinda spindly". Nothing like getting your chops busted by a 4 year old.

Comment

The next year, dad had been recovering from open heart surgery and hadn't even given any thought to hunting. I had been corning for a flat month and the place just reeked of bucks. I talked him into sitting that same ground blind that evening. I walked him in and went on to hunt another spot. When I got home my wife said I needed to call dad. I called and my Grandmother answered. I asked her if dad had killed a deer and she said he told her he had and she asked how many points. He told her 19!

I headed over there and dad said he shot an 8 point and it fell right in the corn pile. He said he shot it right up the butt. Now I was skeptical of that since there was no reason not to wait on a god shot and then there was the story of the 19pt. When we walked in, I shined my light up the lane and there lay a nice 8pt shot right in the butt with an exit in his chest. We drug him out and loaded him. Dad had been so sick I didn't say much about the shot plus I would have figured he would have waited on a better deer.

We got him tagged and I started getting in the truck when he said we better go back out there and look for his hat. We walked back and down in the bottom of that little creek lay a big ol typical ten with a flyer off his g2. It turns out the 8 was there eating and the big ten came in. Dad rolled him at 25yds and the 8pt broke straight away. Since it was a two buck county, dad busted him too! 19 points just like she said.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
          i generally dont have a lot to say, (here at least) but i opened this thread hoping it was a garguy thread. sir i would love to have a cold one and just listen to your stories. it seems you, not the dos equis man, are the most interesting man in the world... haha full of east tx knowledge
          Im just an ol country boy that GOD has allowed to LIVE LIFE!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            A few of Garguy's East Texas low fence deer.

Youre not serious are you? Wow!

Comment

Great story

Comment

Great stuff. The hard part would be finding a mature buck's core area. Could you explain how you went about this? Lots of preseason sitting?

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Great story's Sir...

Comment

I used to hunt several public spots when I was younger. I always killed my deer by outthinking the other hunters. Deer pattern the hunters much quicker than we pattern them. One place was popular with squirrel hunters. They would all be at the truck by 9 or 9:30. The deer would always start moving about 30 minutes later. I killed many between 10 and 12. Another trick was to find those little thickets where the deer would hole up when they got pressure, and hunt the trails leading there. This was a good opening weekend tactic. Great write up Garguy, love your stories.

Comment

So how do you find the thickets where they hold up without walking though them and possibly pushing the deer off.

Comment

Excellent read! Very true for all areas I have hunted as well!

Comment

Originally posted by dc1211 View Post
                            So how do you find the thickets where they hold up without walking though them and possibly pushing the deer off.
                            Summer time! Over grown tornado paths or clear cuts are best. Im constantly watching for vulnerable spots. A big oak that got left and the thicket growing up around it is ideal. I will cut a lane in June and clear a little spot where the acorns will fall. I only bow hunt now and 30 yds is usually the limit of visibility. No scouting the thicket..EVER. I know that by the time all the out of towners get through walking the open woods, the mature deer will be spending their days in the thicket.

I will cut a small trail to walk in with corn. This is never the trail to my stand. Spray down with vanilla and spray the corn every time. I keep that up for a while and then when the wind is perfect, sneak in and make a day of it.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

My avatar buck

A few years ago, I had one of our favorite thickets corned up for my dad. He has killed several nice bucks there in the past. In Sept, I started getting lots of pics of a big 5.5 year old ten we had passed the two previous years and he was looking good with a 20 plus inside spread and long tines. Opening of bow season and dad hunted him hard for three days. The wind was almost good enough but I was worried that it wasn't perfect. Dad saw several nice deer but never the big ten. In my gut, I knew he had been busted and the camera proved it as the big ten disappeared.
                                I picked the camera up and continued to corn it. Three weeks later, the pre rut was really cranking up. There was a cool front coming and the wind was forecast to be a perfect North West. The front blew in with heavy rain about 6am. About 10am, I walked in to corn. It was cleaned up with big tracks all around since the rain had quit. A 4 inch red oak was shining from being rubbed and there were four fresh worked scrapes that reeked of rutting bucks. I corned, sprayed and got out of there.
                                When I got back to dads I told him that I was sure the big deer was back and told him about that mornings sign. He said it was probably made by the 8pt he passed and wasn't going to hunt that evening. I groaned and told him the conditions we had waited all month for had finally arrived and THIS WAS THE DAY! His reply was.."If you are so sure its him, YOU go kill him". He didn't have to tell me twice.
                                I was sitting on dads couch at 3pm and ask him again. He said he wasn't going to hunt there and that he felt the deer had moved. I grabbed my bow out of the truck and walked out his door at 335. I walked to the stand from his house and as I sneaked in the thicket, I saw a deer walking away from the corn. I got behind the blind and quietly got inside. I took my quiver off and lay it on the ground and then was deciding whether to risk the noise of zipping the flap. I was slowly easing it up when I looked out front and saw a deer coming through the brush. IT WAS HIM!!!! Bow on my lap and arrows laying on the ground with him coming at a fast walk. Miraculously, I managed to get an arrow out of the quiver and get it on the string just as the ten got to the first scrape 22yds out and broad side.

Clip the release, draw, pin low, WHACK! I saw the fletching disappear into the little pocket his shoulder muscle makes at the back. He blew out and I picked up my phone and called Dad. He answered and I told him I had just killed the big ten. He said, " You aint even in the stand yet". It was 342pm. Seven minutes since I walked out his front door! He made about 50yds with both lungs and the top of his heart cut.

The hunt lasted a few seconds but I had carried corn for two months in preparation .

Comment

Working...
                                X