• Show
Clear All

I could tell y'all the short version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You've had 2 hours to rest your fingers

Out with the rest of it man!

Comment

Can this be like high school and college where I read the first 1-2 chapters and then went to the end.

Out with it already...
        Last edited by Tall Tex; 10-22-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Ok Paul Harvey, it's time for the rest of the story.

Comment

Part Two...The Track begins
            THE TRACK

8:25am…ok you try to sit in the stand knowing you got an injured wild animal on the loose. Although I did manage to stay put longer than most by recognizing the shot and tale tale signs of a gut shot as I painfully watched the buck walk away. Not knowing exactly where this wounded gladiator first stopped I figured an hour was long enough to sit before getting up to try and locate the arrow. As if finding the arrow would make a real difference at this point, I was still foolishly hopeful to discover a better outlook if I found the arrow. Maybe the shot wasn’t as bad as I had imagined. Maybe I clipped a little liver and nipped a lung. Animals and arrows sometimes do funny things upon impact. WE WILL NEVER KNOW…the arrow proved to be MIA. Backing that bush at 38yards, at the end of my shooting lane was an unforgivably thick briar patch strengthened by small trees and dense brush. (More of that razor bladed mess to come later). Lets just say it was thick enough I was not that interested in the safe return of that $30 dart even if could see it. Now at least somewhat thankful I did not have a Lumnock on the end to make it an even $40 loss. Top side of the down…finding good in the bad****

8:38am…having already been in contact with my buddy letting him know the challenges God has placed before us. My buddy swearing he now hates his favorite hunting spot since he has not seen a deer in the last couple hunts did not prove too difficult to get out of the stand and on board for the unknown that would lie in wait. The only thing we could not agree on was who was going to get the truck. Neither of us was looking forward to the long walk back. With a little friendly back and forth ribbing of who should go get the truck and why. I being the super duper best buddy kind of friend I am…decided to walk out of my way to his stand in a compromise to enjoy the walk side by side as best buddies do. Now in partial compromise ( he was being lazy and still thought I should get the truck) I made my way to my buddies stand purposefully headed in a direction away from the last known direction of robo-deer. I mean come on…who gets judo chopped in the gut by a laser fast arrow harboring hidden sling blades for side arms that are ready for deployment at impact and just walks away like you got a tummy ache? Thinking now maybe I made the right choice by not jumping from the stand, knife clinched tightly in my teeth. I just might have been “the other white meat”. First satanic fog and now zombie robotic deer…this could be a movie? Which might explain the super slow motion earlier…

8:50am…I tell you kick a guy when he is down!!! What are buddies for? How about to “metaphorically yet friendly kick you all the way back to the truck” Who knows karma “THIS GUY”. I might or might not have in a previous life given him the same treatment on a similar experience. Enough said…

9:15am…at the truck. You know what they say “lock you wife and your dog in the dog box for a couple hours and see who is the happiest to see you”. Never had my dog tell me who is sleeping on the couch. Eagerly pawing at the door begging me to open the gates of freedom. I open the door to quickly let “The dog” stretch her legs and tell her to “go potty”. That is a great command when you don’t have all day to wait for nature slowly to take its course. With four legs stretched and “go potty” complete I call out for the all aboard, “get in the truck” and back in the box it is. At this point the dog still thinks we came back losers with no tracking job opportunities available. Appearing to be just another ride with “dad” since I didn’t break out “the bag”? “The dog” calmly stairs out the vent holes, giving what I know is her best “puppy dog eyes”. As if to ask “let me out just one more time, or I feel sorry for you, you pathetic hunter”. Still not sure…

9:35…show time, we are at the scene of the crime. Things are different now “The dog” can hear me getting “The bag”. With the most energetic ball of energy you can imagine this dog knows it is game time when she hears the bell of her tracking collar ringing….and you thought she was happy to see me earlier…level of happiness doubled! The down side is try holding on to a 130lb domesticated wolf when it is on hyper drive. Then you might get the idea of what it is like holding on to this 38lb lacy lol. Tell me how you can train a dog to “go potty” and “get in the truck” but can not figure out “stand still, stop moving while I get your tracking collar on dang it” Too many word, maybe??? Just the same the tornado has now been harnessed and roped with a lead all ready to go. Swear I have had easier fights with grown men…the only thing left to do now is grab the pistol (not for the dog silly but for the dragon deer if we find him alive, and boy did we)

9:40…finally we have a nose on the ground, and “The dog” still on lead. DISCLAIMER (Actually in a perfect situation I would have rather waited a couple more hours, but “my Buddy” has evening plans and there is no telling how long this could take.) So we unleash the dragon slayer…wait where is the dragon slayer going??? That is not the direction I watched the deer walking just before I lost sight of him. Previous lessons learned…TRUST…”The dog” so as good students do we followed the teacher. Class was now in session! After a few circles and loops she seemed to have it worked out. Sure enough with drops of blood on the ground lighting up the trailhead like a flashing neon sign saying “This way” we followed with excitement. OK PAUSE FOR A SECOND… Do you believe this buck turned and made his way back into the patch of woods he came out of on a different trail to my right that was only 15yards from where I was sitting in my tripod and I never saw him??? Remember I did state that my tripod was in a super stealthy spot, and a perfect ambush spot for corn thieves, which has obvious just proven its downside of limited vision. UNPAUSE…Excitement quickly turned to…lets just say “less excitement” for the viewer rating of this post, as the blood all but appeared to stop and the woods began to grow tangling arms or razors blades. Times like this makes GPS tracking collars worth their weight in gold. Not even a self-proclaimed ninja like myself could keep up with a dog inside the bladed forest. Never the less as true soldiers of fortune we tirelessly push our way behind enemy lines. Surely all of this hard work is not for nothing…right???

10:10am…mind you we only made it approximately 200yards, being cut up and dirty we finally reach “the dragon slayer” mostly in part to her circling back to check on us and working out on different trails as to say she was not 100% sure where this (later to prove incredibly tough) disappearing act of a deer went. I called “The dog” back and leashed her to me. Wanting nothing more to make our way back to the truck to rest the dog (mainly us LOL) and let her start over.

10:35am...rested and with a cold drink of water "dragon slayer" is ready to go again. As expected she tracks the same line to the same trail and into the same bladed forest. This time I know where she is going and meet her there. Opting to avoiding all of the recent pain... nothing again she gets to the same spot and looks just as confused...? Plan of action now...find water sources, walk fence lines and play the wind. A proven strategy in the past lets hope for the best.

...and the best is yet to come...TO BE CONTINUED

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This better only be a 3 part story.

Comment

Great write up, can't wait to read the end

Comment

I just read more in this thread than I did my entire four years in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      I just read more in this thread than I did my entire four years in high school.
                      You shouldn't make a man with bronchitis laugh, dang it

And I'll second AC's comment...dear lord, let part 3 be the end of this

Comment

In

Comment

subscribed!

Comment

was in, but now I'm out. Not waitin' on this.

Comment

Originally posted by antlercollector View Post
                              this better only be a 3 part story.
                              x2! Lol

Comment

And then.......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X