UTV Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTV Wisdom

We had been using an off tractor supply UTV at the farm for years. 9hp, 1 wheel drive, wasn’t fast, got stuck a number of times but was a workhorse for the price. I got the itch to have a Jeep at the ranch to have access to a rough section that was walking access only. Also had AC and Heat, however, with junk to haul, and a dog the Jeep just wasn’t the right fit. So I sold the Jeep and now trying to research what I need.

It seems like a Kawasaki Mule would suit what I need. Bed to haul stuff, supposed to be awfully reliable, locking differential in 2 and 4wd model. Don’t need a speed demon but want something that will just work. Needs to hold up to dust as we are 85% sand and the Tractor Supply UTV was bad about clogging air filters. No mud but a few very rocky spots so 4wd would be nice especially with a low gear. Biggest thing I’m fighting is trying to find something on the cheap.

Without getting into too big of brand loyalty will a Mule 610 or 4010 do what I’ve asked? Will a Ranger do something better for the price(reading that they ride better and my folks will use the UTV as well)? Are there specific models or years to lookout for? What is the realistic life of one of these UTV? I see some with 200 hours and some with 2000 hours.

Any and all advice would be great. If you ever need older Jeep wisdom let me know as I’ve wasted years researching learning but am extremely UTV ignorant.

I've had older mules, a Kubota RTV, and now a Ranger since 2009. I know you'll have 10,00 folks say Rangers are junk, but I've had no problems with mine that weren't caused by rats chewing insulation off wires. The Mules were reliable, but road rough as hell, and were slower than Christmas. That's all I got.

Comment

Went from a lifted gas golf cart to a Polaris ranger 6 seater. Vibrated like crazy, loud, got a ton of dust in driving. Now have a Yamaha rhino. Rides great,not as loud as the ranger, very little dust. My neighbor bought a mule 610. Not a bad little machine, but the best thing I have ridden in is a mule fxt. Ride is great, quiet, go from 6 person to 3 with extended bed room. That will be my next ride

Comment

I like my Kubota RTV 500. It's not bad for $8k. It's slow but small enough to get down tight trails. 4x4 and locking diffs work great. It's a work horse. I've heard good things about the mule's as well.

I had a Jeep XJ with the rear truck bed conversion and that was the best property buggy I ever had if it actually ran.

If I had to go back and do it again I'd get old 4x4 Tacoma, S10, or Ranger. Cheaper to maintain, more room in the bed, AC/Heater, etc.

Comment

I don’t have much to add but agree on the FXT was just driving it around today after the heavy rains, 5 people, never once even came close to getting stuck. Ride is unbeatable.
          I was thinking about getting a 610 as an extra but there is no comparison in ride from when I test drove both.

Comment

When I was searching for a UTV, salesman told me I wouldn't find many used mules for sale because people just don't get rid of them. I asked him directly about Rangers needing service work. He said he makes more money off of servicing them than any other brand. I went with the Honda Pioneer 700-4, and love it. It does everything I need it to, and has extra seating when you need it.

Comment

If you were staying sub $5000 what would you be looking for?

Comment

I think all the big names make decent machines. But, I think the Kawasaki mule will outlive most if not all of them. My Dad has a 2003 mule, either 3010 or 4010, with like 1800 hours+ I think. Ain't fast, pretty, or quiet any more, but still runs and cranks EVERY time. I have a 2014 4010 trans mule and it has been great. I added a lift and bigger wheels and tires to make it stand a little higher. Not saying the others are bad machines, because they aren't, but I know many hunters with all different brands, and don't know anyone that has a UTV as old as my dads that hasn't had a motor or tranny or some major work done. The mule 4010 cost of ownership I think will be much lower over the long haul. Good luck whatever route you choose

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                  If you were staying sub $5000 what would you be looking for?
                  for that price range, used mule 4010 I think would be my first choice. One pops up in the classifieds every so often. I have seen a few really nice ones over the last few years

Comment

If I was buying new I'd say mule fxt, my cousin bought a brand new mule 4010 bone stock for $11k, my dad bought brand new mule fxt with full glass tilt wind shield, and metal roof for $14k. If buying something around 5k I'd get one of the old mules as long as your ok with rough and slow riding.. I've got a 2005 mule that has 1000 hours and no problems.. I have a 2011 ranger 800 with 225 hours that is a lot faster and rides way better but its gone through a few repairs, some minor some major.. After my ranger and my brothers sportsman I won't be buying anything Polaris from now on..

Comment

I've had two mules, a teryx and now own a mule pro fxt. the old mules are workhorses but will rattle your fillings loose. If you stumble upon an old mule, do yourself a favor and buy some tires from Essex mfg online. they're bulletproof and GREATLY improve the ride. their tires run at 7 psi I believe and the stock tires run around 30 if I remember correctly. the lower air pressure tires are like riding on pillows.

the new mules have independent syspension and ride like a Cadillac... absolutely love my pro fxt. they have been out a couple years now so you may be able to find a deal on one.

a lot of people I know own rangers, and have only a few complaints. mainly the belts wear out quick, but if you drive them right and use low gear when you need it they will last a long long time. my buddy just picked up a 2009 ranger for 4000$ and it runs great. can't complain at that deal.

Comment

I have the 2013 4010 Trans w power steering and fuel injection. I feel like its a work horse and has never given me any problems. More than once I have loaded it down with 500 pounds of corn and climbed some very steep terrain.I get smoked by my buddies ranger. I would say if you buy used try to get the fuel injection. Our old 3010 was a beast but did end up with carb issues.

Comment

Son in law has the kawasaki 610 with available 4 wheel drive. Not fast but a real work horse. Have put 400 lbs corn in bed and pulled utility trailer loaded down and no problems. Can get for bout 8500 with roof and windshield.

Comment

Working...
                          X