Tanning rattlesnakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanning rattlesnakes

What is the best way to tan a rattlesnake? I have been putting glycerine and alcohol on them but it doesn't seem to soften them up that much. Does anyone else have an alternative?

check with huntress on here, she has done many I think and had a simple method.

Comment

Lippy,

Maybe someone can help....I bought a product that I have not been able to find some years ago at the San Antonio Texas Trophy Hunting Expo.

It was some sort of snake tanning juice and worked like a charm. This 7 footer came out like leather!!
      Attached Files

Comment

I have used anti-freeze for 3-4 days letting it dry between sets....worked well for me...have you been pinning the skin down to a board...? paint on anti-freeze, let dry for 24 hrs then paint again for 3-4 days....

Comment

That's the same thing I have been doing but a buddy of mine recomended Glycerine instead. I'll try that this weekend when I get another. They're everywhere. Nice snake Artos

Comment

Antifreeze is NOT a tanning agent.
            It might work (half ***) as a homebrew method but if you want it done right order a snake tanning kit from a taxidermy supplier.

Comment

Mossyoak princess knows how as well. Search for rattlesnake or tanning and there is alot of different opinions in that thread

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                Antifreeze is NOT a tanning agent.
                It might work (half ***) as a homebrew method but if you want it done right order a snake tanning kit from a taxidermy supplier.
                That is what I use......I have a coral snake I need to get done soon.....

Comment

Working...
                X