Child support, does it ever end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child support, does it ever end?

I have started this thread in hopes to help anyone who may find themselves in the unfortunate situation of divorce with children involved.

I have paid child support for the past 14 years. If it is actually used for the child’s benefit and not keeping babies momma in a new car, it is awesome. What is not awesome is the way both the court system and the Texas Attorney General’s office treats all fathers like dead beat dads! Not one of the agencies will tell you, in order to stop child support garnishment after your legal obligation has been met, it is YOUR responsibility to file the proper paperwork.

In the last 14 years I have bought my ex three new cars and financed two cosmetic surgeries (she doesn’t work) and, I have taken my daughter school clothes shopping every year to keep her clothed in ones that fit. I call foul but, there is nothing I could do about it because after all, I am a dead beat dad right? There is a light at the end of the tunnel though and this gravy train has stopped running! My daughter graduated high school this past spring and turns 18 in less than one month so, I have fulfilled my LEGAL obligation. If you find yourself in the same situation all you have to do is complete this form ( https://texaslawhelp.org/sites/defau...port_final.pdf ) and file it at the courthouse. The courts will take it from there and serve your ex with a notice and inform your employer to stop garnishment! Done!!! This must be done within 45 days PRIOR to fulfilling your legal obligation.

Now I can assist my daughter directly in any manner I see fit to assist her with college debt w/o giving her mom one more red cent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I just completed mine in JUNE!!!!!!! had two kids started in 2001 so I paid out way more than I ever want to add up ..

Still getting hit up by the son just starting college . Issue is his mom is behind him on poor life decisions in my opinion Lease a platinum Ford fusion do online out of state college . ??!!!! now he needs a new mac book pro that is almost 2000 ..

Comment

Mine stopped automatically when my boy turned 18. I don't remember having to fill out a form.

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
        Mine stopped automatically when my boy turned 18. I don't remember having to fill out a form.

Your attorney may have taken care of it? All I know for certain is this is the current process.

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
          Same here they just stopped taking it out of my check, no paper work.

Comment

Michael, I only met you once, we talked for a while..... you were a little buzzed, ( just after your back surgery). [emoji51][emoji51][emoji41]

I can assure anyone, you are far,far away from a deadbeat dad. Hope all is well with the back.

Comment

I just finished mine in June as well. Now i can send the $ straight to my son if he needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                Michael, I only met you once, we talked for a while..... you were a little buzzed, ( just after your back surgery). [emoji51][emoji51][emoji41]

I can assure anyone, you are far,far away from a deadbeat dad. Hope all is well with the back.

It is much better now! I no longer self medicate for relief so maybe when we next meet, I will remember 🤣

Comment

Was it not worth it though?

Comment

Originally posted by NBK75 View Post
                    Same here they just stopped taking it out of my check, no paper work.
                    this is how i have mine set up, but we shall see

Comment

Mine was well worth the money ! glad the X don't get any more !!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

Without a doubt!

Comment

My is done also, thank God! In Oregon, if the child decides to go to college, the support continues to go to mama until they are 21 or are no longer enrolled in college. Found this all out the hard way. Oh, and when Oregon decided to put this into place about 6 or 7 years ago, it became retroactive to any and all support orders.

When my daughter quit school and I found out she had quit, I contacted to state and stopped the support. I was then the bad guy because mama couldn't afford her new truck any more.
                          Last edited by dcbrown; 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            Respectfully, that wasn't the point. We all want to take care of our kids, we just don't want to subsidize the habits or whims of an ex. It would be great if there were some kind of mechanism to make sure child support were actually used for the child, unfortunately that is not the case. Been there, done that long ago. It's probably worse now.

Comment

if your a dad in Texas have to pay child support your hosed. try calling up there sometime.....my last conversation went like this,

As you can see my over 1700 for one child gets sent in every month on time for the past 6 years and for some reason you don't see it this month even though my employer sent it in and you can see my check was deducted for the amount......CPS, Prove we received it sir and regardless if it was sent in or not you owe it.

Oh but on the flip side step daughter baby daddy hasn't paid a dime in over 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X