New/Used Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New/Used Advice

We've recently started looking at vehicles to replace my wife's 2013 Honda Pilot. We want to finance whatever we buy for no more than two years and that puts us in used car category.

The short version to the long story is that we were initially looking at compacts SUVs (Rav4, Rogue, CRV, etc) but quickly realized they were too small for us.

We've narrowed it down to a 2017/2018 Ford Edge, Nissan Pathfinder or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since it will be my wife's vehicle for 3 years, then passed on to my daughter, I don't have much of an opinion.

My dilemma is that I can get a 2015 Lexus RX350, with low miles, for about the same as the above three vehicles.

Looking for thoughts, opinions are the vehicles above. Thanks, Mike

I kind of want the Lexus but do have some reservations about financing a three year old vehicle.
    Last edited by mikebyrge; 07-16-2018, 06:50 AM.

We recently bought my wife the Nissan Pathfinder (used). We like It but she liked her Highlander better. She wrecked the Toyota right after Harvey and we were forced to take our second choice, the Pathfinder because there were no V6 Highlanders anywhere. We also recently drove the Mitsubishi Outlander and where very impressed.

Comment

If you want opinions on new vs used, I am a firm believer in buying late model, low mileage used when buying a car or SUV. I bought my last pickup new because people want insane prices for used ones. If u look at how a car has been cared for, you can be safe buying used. I have never had a bad experience and you save a lot of money. But u also have to be flexible on color and options.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        If you want opinions on new vs used, I am a firm believer in buying late model, low mileage used when buying a car or SUV. I bought my last pickup new because people want insane prices for used ones. If u look at how a car has been cared for, you can be safe buying used. I have never had a bad experience and you save a lot of money. But u also have to be flexible on color and options.
        What he said x2!

Comment

May have higher maintenance expense on the Lexus.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
            May have higher maintenance expense on the Lexus.

This^ I would look into what the maintenance costs are going to be on both vehicles. My wife bought a 2 year old Infiniti FX45 back when those were the hot vehicles and Lord Almighty it was expensive whenever something went wrong. She had the extended warranty so I would suggest that at a minimum.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. My dad owns a Lexus and warned me about the high maintenance cost. Honda's are not cheap to maintain either....

The Ford Edge wasn't on our radar until I rented one a few weeks back. Nice vehicle with a lot of room for that class.

Comment

Don't give up on the Pilot. The new body style in 2016 are really nice.
                My wife got a 2017 with the 8 speed transmission.
                Oil changes are free.

Comment

My experience with Toyota's is they have fairly low maintenance cost because I have had really good luck with them. From what I remember that is the comparison you'll find on most car web site such as Edmund's.

Comment

IF the lexus has higher maint costs, you will still get that much or more back on resale value compared to a ford. you really need to research total cost of ownership (don't focus on $ per oil change or anything too specific). pay for the consumer reports membership - i think the online version is $25 bucks or so? well worth it in my opinion (and not just for cars).

Comment

A couple years ago we bought a two year old, off-lease Lexus RX350 with 25k miles on it. We have been very happy with the purchase - nice vehicle and should last many years. If you go back to the Lexus dealership for maintenance it will get expensive. We found an independent shop started by a guy who used to work for a dealership so he is a certified Toyota/Lexus mechanic. He is real good about telling us which of the routine maintenance items Lexus recommends at various mileage are necessary and which can wait. He is also probably 20-25% cheaper. He doesn't offer "free" loaners and freshly baked cookies like the fancy Lexus house does but I'll take the savings any day.

Comment

Working...
                      X