Insect ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insect ID

So I think these are Mexican honey wasp from what I’ve researched. Can anyone tell what these are? Smaller than honey bees, the hive is a size of a blow up beach ball. Located in Pleasanton, Texas. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	25152207Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	25152208Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	25152209Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	25152210

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Torch em!!

Comment

We saw a hive similar to that on campus in Laredo at the Texas A&M International University. The people we talked to said the entomologist said they were harmless and to leave them alone, but did not specifically identify them.

Comment

They may be paper wasps. The only way to tell for sure is to get a short stick and poke the hive.

Comment

Found a hive, though much smaller, in my shop last year and believe me. They are not harmless.

Comment

Don't know what they are but I would leave them alone unless I just had to be rid of them

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              Don't know what they are but I would leave them alone unless I just had to be rid of them

Not gonna mess with them, they are far enough away to do any harm. If they are Mexican honey wasps, they say they are beneficial like the honey bee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you can get the hive out in one piece, I will buy it from you! In the winter.

Comment

1 qt. of gasoline + enough Styrofoam cups to make it thick = napalm
                  then shoot it with a flair gun

Comment

You should hit it with a stick. Please set up a camera first. You'll want the video to send into AFV.

Comment

Make a smoke torch, run off the wasps with it, take it out of the tree, if it has honey in it, its a Honey Wasp. Probably just Hornets. I have seen them kind of nests in the woods before. Uh harmless? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                      X