Cmon Academy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cmon Academy ???

Manager stops a thief from leaving the store with a firearm and is fired for violating policy of putting hands on a “customer” ???

A sporting goods store employee, who last month helped catch a suspect allegedly trying to swipe a weapon, was suspended and later lost his job at the Florida business following the incident, his lawyer said.
    Last edited by txwhitetail; 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM.

Dang that is pretty sorry

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Manager stops a thief from leaving the store with a firearm and is fired for violating policy of putting hands on a “customer” ??? Anyone know if this is the same Academy stores we have in Texas?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/11...wyer-says.html
      Almost all retail stores have this exact policy

We were told (at gander back in the day) if you see a thief and try to stop them you will be fired immediately.

It’s due to possibly being sued by the thief (Murica!)

Comment

It was store policy when I worked there to not confront theives.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m pretty sure that is for all if not most stores. When I worked for Cabelas loss prevention/security team, we were instructed time and time again to not touch a person no matter what they did. We had to ask them to return to the store so we could question them. Saw many people just make a run for it but the cops were usually there before we tried to stop the thief.

Worse thing was, we would sit and watch the 200 plus cameras and see the person steal red handed. If they attempted to get physical we had to just let them go.

Comment

I’m guessing it is. I do know when I worked there in college employees could literally watch someone steal something, but couldn’t intervene in it. Just had to go tell the off duty cop or security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Things have definitely changed! Back in the day this wasn’t the rule.

Now God forbid an employee that wants to protect the store !

Comment

Academy would rather the guy leave with the gun and ammo and shoot up a school or no telling what. I’m not doubting it’s the policy. BS

Comment

On the plus side, I have a feeling this guy will be getting some job offers from a few private companies that think more highly of his actions than Academy did.

Comment

Imagine this - Academy has no official policy about not attempting to detain shoplifters. An employee gets shot while trying to stop said shoplifter. Family of shot employee sues Academy for a zillion and wins. In the world of retail loss prevention, losing a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise is the lower risk option

Comment

That's what wrong again

Comment

Have a friend that used to work at Lowes in Cypress. Said folks would load a cart with tools and just waltz out the door because of this policy

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          Imagine this - Academy has no official policy about not attempting to detain shoplifters. An employee gets shot while trying to stop said shoplifter. Family of shot employee sues Academy for a zillion and wins. In the world of retail loss prevention, losing a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise is the lower risk option
                          I understand the policy. What I don’t understand is not ooking at the totality of the circumstances when assessing punishment. The guy had already stolen other firearms earlier that morning. He wasn’t headed out for a rabbit hunt.

Comment

yep it happens...

saw a kid at the League City Kroger's get fired, because he pushed his big rack of shopping carts in front of a car parked out front, while their buddy was inside stealing a huge blue tote full of allergy medicine...

manager said company policy with zero tolerance...

I have not been back to that **** store since...

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              I understand the policy. What I don’t understand is not ooking at the totality of the circumstances when assessing punishment. The guy had already stolen other firearms earlier that morning. He wasn’t headed out for a rabbit hunt.
                              I am certain they did and that is part of the problem. He stopped him without even knowing what was going on. You have been into Academy do you think they want the employees determining who should be stopped? I am not saying it’s right but I definetly understand there logic. I am sure as mentioned it’s a zero tolerance policy and the last thing they want is to set that presidence for other employees.

Comment

Working...
                              X