Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safer Schools

Just a reminder.

School will be starting here soon and your school boards are meeting now to discus heighten security measures at your child's school. You should be there to ensure that subject gets as much, if not more attention than the new football field. Every School board will be doing a risk assessment to allocate budget money. In doing so, they will have to put a dollar value on your child's life in order to plug that into the equation. That number will be way too low if a tragedy takes place at your school. No school will be 100% safe in this day and age, as times they are changing. Its time that our priority change to protecting our most precious assets; our children.

Amen

Comment

Salaries, Athletics and/or Safety are gonna CLASH.........gonna be interesting to see which solo wins the battle!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        Salaries, Athletics and/or Safety are gonna CLASH.........gonna be interesting to see which solo wins the battle!!!

^this

Comment

Hard to re-fight that battle after your child gets shot in school while minding his own business. I like High school football as much as the next guy but I love my kids even more. You can play football in a cow pasture. I know because I did when I was in school.

Comment

I'll bet that at most schools safety is gonna take a backseat to a **** football game.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I'll bet that at most schools safety is gonna take a backseat to a **** football game.
              This.

Comment

Our city tried to pass a "safety and athletics bond". It failed. They then pushed a "safety" bond and it passed. They are building the indoor football field right now. Those football kids will be safe from the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  Hard to re-fight that battle after your child gets shot in school while minding his own business. I like High school football as much as the next guy but I love my kids even more. You can play football in a cow pasture. I know because I did when I was in school.
                  ABSOLUTE and TOTAL agreement sir!!! Our SHORT memory spans are always the issue in these discussions.....and our downfall in decision making. I actually LOVE high school football. Heck my high school won the state championship again this year. I personally don't care if all athletics are abolished to use TAX payers money more wisely to figure out how to fortify these schools. Never a 100% fix for looney tunes but obviously inner city schools have figured out some of this already.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    Our city tried to pass a "safety and athletics bond". It failed. They then pushed a "safety" bond and it passed. They are building the indoor football field right now. Those football kids will be safe from the sun.
                    Ouch!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                      Indoor high school field !? Absurd

Comment

I didn't mean to turn this thread into a high school athletics debate, but since we are here.
                        In just 30 seconds of research on the web, I found this info.
                        Some of the high school football stadiums we've built in recent years.
                        2001 Dragon Stadium, Southlake Carroll $15.3 M ($4.6 M renovation in 2010)
                        Total: $19.9 M
                        2004 C.H. Collins Stadium, Denton ISD $23 M
                        2005 Kincaide Stadium, Dallas ISD $40 M
                        2006 Vernon Newsom Stadium, Mansfield ISD $29.8 M
                        2005 Toyota Stadium, Frisco ISD $80 M ($39 M renovation pending)
                        2012 Eagle Stadium, Allen $60 M
                        2015 Memorial Stadium, Mesquite ISD $11M in renovations
                        2017 Legacy Stadium Katy, TX $62M
                        Under construction McKinney ISD Stadium $69.9 M (cracks in concrete discovered and unclear when it will open)
                        Under construction Prosper ISD $48M

That's almost 1/2 Billion and I'm sure there are tons more.

Last year Clay's School put turf on their field. I bet they wish they had spent that money elsewhere now.

Comment

I am an ex high school coach/teacher and love sports, but there is way to much money put into athletics as far a coaches salaries and equipment and travel, IN MY OPINION!

A lot of this money could be used to build better schools and facilities and to build and protect BETTER the kids in these schools. When you have AD's and Head Coaches making over $100,000 per year, that is just plain dumb. A teacher cannot teach long enough to reach that pay scale! And do not tell me that an AD or Head coach and maybe some other coaches work longer than teachers! That is a
                          BS call! A good/great teacher works well after she leaves school!
                          We will never be able to protect kids at schools 100%, but there are many ways that we can increase their protection without a huge amount of costs period!

Comment

One change that I'd like to see is a Safety audit of our schools. One that is reported to the public just like their academic ratings. The Lower your score, the higher percentage of your budget must go to safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              I am an ex high school coach/teacher and love sports, but there is way to much money put into athletics as far a coaches salaries and equipment and travel, IN MY OPINION!

A lot of this money could be used to build better schools and facilities and to build and protect BETTER the kids in these schools. When you have AD's and Head Coaches making over $100,000 per year, that is just plain dumb. A teacher cannot teach long enough to reach that pay scale! And do not tell me that an AD or Head coach and maybe some other coaches work longer than teachers! That is a
                              BS call! A good/great teacher works well after she leaves school!
                              We will never be able to protect kids at schools 100%, but there are many ways that we can increase their protection without a huge amount of costs period!
                              I have been screaming this for years. Most people look at you like you're two steps below a child molester if you suggest taxpayer money could be better spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X