Bone fishing in hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone fishing in hawaii

Anybody done it? Going to Oahu in two weeks and thinking about taking some rods to try and chase some one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following

Comment

I was born and raised there, same island. Oio (Oh-Ee-Oh) aren’t bad, but there are bigger/better fish to go for there. Even from shore.

You can go for Bonefish closer and cheaper on a much cheaper trip.

Enjoy your trip. Always nice being in paradise.

J
      Last edited by JhuntsAlot; 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I dad did some peacock bass fishin there. Not as big as south america but caught some. With a dude from Texas no less.

Comment

Grew up on Oahu. I don't know if you still can (or if you're military) but we used to wade the flats off the Par 3 course on Hickam AFB and tear em up. There are some monster tiger sharks and hammer heads in the channel over there though and on a high tide you can get some BIG tigers coming in

Mike is a good guy and can hook you up

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            I was born and raised there, same island. Oio (Oh-Ee-Oh) aren’t bad, but there are bigger/better fish to go for there. Even from shore.

You can go for Bonefish closer and cheaper on a much cheaper trip.

Enjoy your trip. Always nice being in paradise.

J

What would be a fish you recommend chasing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
              What would be a fish you recommend chasing?
              Sorry, haven’t been online for a few days.

I know you probably want to wade fish, but I would try finding some cliff area. The water can get pretty deep, pretty fast. Could see a wide variety of fish, from reef fish to deeper water bottom fish that come in to snag some food. Find these areas near North Shore area and some on Waianae side. Waianae might be a little calmer.

There are several different types of Jack Trevally’s. The Papio is a good fighting fish and I feel they aren’t too oily to eat there. When they get larger they are called Ulua and there are several versions of them. Those can get those in the 10-20lbs on regular casting lures. Of course, with bigger poles and live bait you could see them near 150-200.....from shore. The biggie’s are a little more rare.

Probably a lot of useless information here, as the cliff fishing isn’t as relaxing as wade fishing. Haha. This just got me thinking back and telling myself I need to get back to visit my Dad on the Big Island. Just about the whole island is cliff shores. And more getting added every day.

J

Comment

Working...
              X