R22 or new a/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R22 or new a/c

Ac coils are leaking and I'm on old refrigerant. Whats the cost of a new system? My current system is 14 seer 4 ton. Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

I paid $4200 for a new 14 seer 4 ton 410A system 4 years ago. Been happy with it. Go with the new 410A. R22 has gotten so dang expensive and I think they dont even make aystems for it anymore.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

I pay $300 per year to add R22 to my moms unit. I could do that for many years and still be money ahead even though it will only go higher each year. Legally if the service guy knows it is a significant leak he's supposed to repair it prior to charging system. Not sure how many adhere to that.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
        I pay $300 per year to add R22 to my moms unit. I could do that for many years and still be money ahead even though it will only go higher each year. Legally if the service guy knows it is a significant leak he's supposed to repair it prior to charging system. Not sure how many adhere to that.
        My A/C guy says you can add a leak stop and it works. I did not go that route as I have chosen to replace the coil but he says he has good luck with it and can sometime put off fixing it for 6 years or more. but mine is 410A so don't know about R22

RD

Comment

I have been having A/C troubles this year and our unit has been down since last Thursday due to a leak in the evaporator coil. My unit is 19 years old. I guess the going rate is about $4700 for a new complete 4 ton 14 seer system (minus furnace). That is what I have been quoted by 2 companies. They tried to put the sealer in my unit and it did not work

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
            Ac coils are leaking and I'm on old refrigerant. Whats the cost of a new system? My current system is 14 seer 4 ton. Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike
            Don't see too many 14 seer r-22 units.

Without knowing the age and condition of the system, I have to say replace.
            If it's less than 10 years old and in decent shape it could be worth it to replace a coil or whatever is leaking. Just know that you are gambling that something else major doesn't happen causing you to need to replace it in the near future. You won't get that repair $ back.

Comment

I just replaced our downstairs 4Ton R22 system with 16 seer 4 Ton 410 system. $4500 for everything. The unit was 18yrs old. I'm happy with the new system, help on the elec bill. bad part is ill have to do the upstairs system sooner or later..

Comment

I was quoted $7,600.00 for Trane 410 16 seer 4 ton Condenser and Evap Coil a few weeks ago.

Comment

consider...order a system a find a reliable trusted person to install. I can get a 3 ton trane system delivered for 2500 and installed for 1k

had a friend just drop 12k with Elmer's for a new 3 ton system (facepalm) "but it came with 10 year warranty"

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                    consider...order a system a find a reliable trusted person to install. I can get a 3 ton trane system delivered for 2500 and installed for 1k

had a friend just drop 12k with Elmer's for a new 3 ton system (facepalm) "but it came with 10 year warranty"
                    Curious. How can you get a Trane system delivered? Can you order online? Can you register it and have the warranty that comes with it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                      Curious. How can you get a Trane system delivered? Can you order online? Can you register it and have the warranty that comes with it? Thanks.
                      Cant answer all those. Just google it and buy from a reliable source. The guy that bought my last house ordered a goodman system off ebay and both units came delivered on pallets

Comment

Cant answer all those. Just google it and buy from a reliable source. The guy that bought my last house ordered a goodman system off ebay and both units came delivered on pallets
                        Gotcha. Yes the online sales are there but no one will register and warranty it with Trane. Only way to do that is being a Trane authorized company. If a company does do that then they are breaching the contract and could be in more trouble then just not being able to sell Trane any longer.

Comment

I would be interested in knowing how to do this

Comment

R-22 will no longer be able to be used in couple of years. So if you just have to add freon, you will have to buy anew unit. Go ahead and change now.

Launching in 2010, the production and import of R22 was prohibited and by 2020, R22 will essentially no longer be allowed. HIGHLIGHTS: R22 refrigerant is no longer manufactured in North America. ... The cost of R22 is rising because of the decreasing supply, and will no longer be accessible for use at all by 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                              R-22 will no longer be able to be used in couple of years. So if you just have to add freon, you will have to buy anew unit. Go ahead and change now.

Launching in 2010, the production and import of R22 was prohibited and by 2020, R22 will essentially no longer be allowed. HIGHLIGHTS: R22 refrigerant is no longer manufactured in North America. ... The cost of R22 is rising because of the decreasing supply, and will no longer be accessible for use at all by 2020
                              Yep, my AC guy won't buy it now which is what my system took. What he did when I needed a charge last summer (leaky coils, 17 yr old system) was drain whatever R22 that was left in my unit and used a replacement for R22 which is MO99. I have to charge mine once a year. He just came out last week and set me up...right at $100. Yes I need a new system but this is a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X