4 wheeler help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 wheeler help

Thinking of buying a 4 wheeler before hunting season. Will only be driven to retrieve down game from bottom of canyons and draws. How much would I have to spend to get a dependable 4 wheeler for this application? I don't know if I want to spend 3-4k for something driven couple times a year. Am I asking for something that doesn't exist?(Dependable) I'm think a 400 4x4 would be plenty for me. Thoughts??

Also what brands to stay away from?

Comment

Depending on what you weigh. But the 400cc +/- range will work fine. Should be able to find a base model rancher or foreman for $2500 or so.

In the price of machine with probably some age on it Yamaha or Honda will be the ones that would be best (imho)

I wouldn't take a Polaris in that price/condition range at any price. If you do get some comfortable walking shoes

Comment

Yamaha grizzly and big bear would be two great bikes as well for your needs

Comment

I paid $1800 for a 2005 Honda Rancher a year ago. It needed a new carburetor. That cost me $160. It runs like a brand new one. It's very reliable and I'm less than $2k into it. Also, a 2x4 four wheeler can be had a a cheaper price and will get you just about anywhere you want to go for hunting purposes, especially if you throw a winch on there for the just in case moments.

Oh, I also added new tires for $280 and winch for $100. But, those were wants, not a needs.

Comment

No need for 2x4 utility atv to even be manufactured. A 4x4 with bald tires will do more than a 2 wd with $300 worth on the rear. And while I have a winch, I've never needed it for my own retrieval. I use it working more than anything

If you stick a 4wd atv.... you shouldn't have been there lol. 2wd makes you hit things too fast and when you get them loaded then you can't steer them.

Comment

I am thinking I could get it done with $2000. I would want a winch. How do the machines hold up? What kind of hours/miles would be okay? I would stay with yamaha or honda for sure.

Comment

They are really tough machines. So unless it looks trashed or smokes. It's probably fine for what your describing. As far as mileage and hours you probably won't know in that price range due to no meter. But I have a Yamaha now with almost 8k on it and a few anchor with over 7k..... you won't put that many on it lol

Comment

Check brakes too. Most overlook them and they can get expensive to repair. Honda brakes have sucked even new. But last if now rode in mud to often

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I gave $1800 for an 06 Yamaha 360 4x4 4 years ago. I took that thing all over ID, CO, and UT and it never gave me any issues. It was solid as hell, and started first crank everytime. Bought on 06 Honda 400 4x4 the next year, and sold the Yamaha. The Honda was great, BUT it had a slow fuel line leak that could never be cured. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel lines, and flushed everything to no avail. I sent it in to the shop 3 different times, and it never cured the issue. The ATV ran GREAT after all the work, but still the same slow leak. Apparently it's a pretty common theme, as I've spoke with 4-5 other guys with the same gen Honda that had the exact same issue. I gave $2500 for it, then spent another $1200 trying to track down the gremlin, and replacing the seat and headlights. Gave up and sold it last year for $2300. I bought a Can Am Commander 1000 right before the Honda, so it didn't get used too much anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter68 View Post
                        I am thinking I could get it done with $2000. I would want a winch. How do the machines hold up? What kind of hours/miles would be okay? I would stay with yamaha or honda for sure.
                        I paid 2k for a low hour and mileage 2007 Honda foreman a year or so ago, maybe 2 by now.

They can be had. Just have to be patient and wait, or just start making offers on ones you find available.

Comment

Honda. Bought a Rincon in 2009 and no problems at all. Still in very good/new shape today and it has been in/on the mud/trails a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a Honda

Comment

Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X