• Show
Clear All

Ted Nugent article about Bow Poundage

http://www.fishgame.com/blogs/TNblog/?p=164

He basically promotes Lower Bow poundage

Go Tedd

Ted for President. Very good points.

Comment

I like it.I had a bad injury the second of January and I can't yet pull my bow back(which is currently 56 lbs )I'm thinkin bout turning it down ,sighting it in and shootin some.I've been wondering bout what broadheads would insure good penetration and pass through at lower poundage.

Comment

ted has been preaching lower poundage for years. i can shoot 70#'s with the rest of ya, but i am quite content in the low 50's now. for what i do and the animals i hunt, that's all i personally need.

Comment

I haven't built a bow, recurve or longbow (on purpose) over#50 in almost 10 years.

Comment

Exactly why I have always shot 50-60# bows.

Comment

Yep, my main bow maxes out at 60, and it ain't maxed out.

Comment

I like the 60 range myself. I'll go down when I feel I need to.

I don't blame people for shooting heavy bows. If I could comfortably shoot 100-125 lb bows, I would. But there's no need.

Comment

Wow

Comment

I dropped mine from 70 to 55 and my accuracy went way up

Comment

I used to shoot mine at ~65, then when I had my string replaced and it was set about a turn over all they way down...it sure is a lot more fun to shoot.

Comment

I have my 70lb bow set at 65 because that is what I can pull back comfortably. I do see people on tv a lot who appear to struggle to pull back. Don't understand it myself. Sure, I could pull back 70 but not nearly as smooth as I can at 65. Once I feel 65 isn't as smooth I won't hesitate to drop it further.

Comment

Got a DXT at 65# and an Outback at 58--first 3-4 shots with the DXT are work, but with the Outback, smooth as can be. Got a set of 50-60 limbs for the DXT and will probably have them put on this summer.

Comment

I shoot 72 lbs currently and am thinking about ordering 80lb limbs. I think you should shoot the maximum poundage you can easily pull back and hold and shoot comfortably, and that means shooting for 30minutes to an hour without fatigue or accuracy lost.

It seems it is more manly these days to shoot 40 lbs than 70. But if you are capable to shoot 70 and are shooting 50, it seems something is left on the table. On the flip side, if a shooter is shooting 70 lbs but can't pull it back smoothly and shoot accurately, he is doing himself a disservice.

Comment

Originally posted by cactus kid View Post
                              I shoot 72 lbs currently and am thinking about ordering 80lb limbs. I think you should shoot the maximum poundage you can easily pull back and hold and shoot comfortably, and that means shooting for 30minutes to an hour without fatigue or accuracy lost.

It seems it is more manly these days to shoot 40 lbs than 70. But if you are capable to shoot 70 and are shooting 50, it seems something is left on the table. On the flip side, if a shooter is shooting 70 lbs but can't pull it back smoothly and shoot accurately, he is doing himself a disservice.
                              I feel the same way. I got 70# limbs on my ZXT, and I can shoot 70# just perfectly fine, so why not?

Comment

Working...
                              X