Safer Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
    Yeh.. funny.. if perimeter fences and security are not an effective measure, explain what exactly the basic fundamental design of a prison is.

He just likes playing a consummate devils advocate 100% of the time to every ****ing topic .. he cant really be this ****in inept at rational thought...

I recall he's buddies with the Mensa President Jhill.

You don't have to look too far from the flies to find the pile of ****.

Back on topic. Columbine was 30 years ago. As a nation we have done relatively nothing in any federal/state/local capacity to make an attempt to derail these cowards from these massacres. Lots of talk, zero action.

Saying something won't work for whatever reason is why nothing has been done. It's pathetic.

Comment

I believe on line schooling will become a lot more popular in the future. Would be far less expensive, and much safer. No need for as many teachers, administrators, schools ( property). I know a few of our friends kids are trying it, and some others are electing to home school.
      I don't believe Columbine was 30 years ago, I think it was 19, as our cat was being born while it was going on. And I know she's not 30, although it seems like we have had her forever.
      Last edited by critter69; 07-14-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Yeh.. funny.. if perimeter fences and security are not an effective measure, explain what exactly the basic fundamental design of a prison is.

He just likes playing a consummate devils advocate 100% of the time to every ****ing topic .. he cant really be this ****in inept at rational thought...
        I never understood a person's mindset that feels the need to play devil's advocate for the sake of what they feel is a cool post. I wonder if somebody starts a thread about wearing a safety harness while your in a tree stand if they argue the fact that you can hang there and die of starvation if you were to fall.

Hoggslayer

Comment

He can, he is.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
            I recall he's buddies with the Mensa President Jhill.

You don't have to look too far from the flies to find the pile of ****.

Back on topic. Columbine was 30 years ago. As a nation we have done relatively nothing in any federal/state/local capacity to make an attempt to derail these cowards from these massacres. Lots of talk, zero action.

Saying something won't work for whatever reason is why nothing has been done. It's pathetic.
            You don't even know the half of it. From the local district all the way to federal level nothing gets done and everyone just sits there and looks at the next guy. Pathetic is the politest word I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              Unfortunately and getting away from emotions, you are correct.

According to the version that I read of the Santa Fe shooting, at least 3 officers on scene confronted the shooter or engaged him in gunfire. Several other officers arrived within four minutes.
              This part of your statement has been bugging me for a few days.

If you are basing your opinion solely on what you've read, then I can see why you might feel this way; however, these reports are false and misleading.

The accounts that I'm getting from People that were there, is that this ordeal went on for 15 to 20 minutes until the first officer was shot. Then others officers started to respond. It's still not clear when this 4 minute clock started but it wasn't when the bullet entered my sons left arm.

Accounts I'm hearing are teachers were trying to contact someone for several minutes with no response. One of them finally pulled the fire alarm as a last resort to evacuate the building. It wasn't until then did anyone respond. This 4 minute time is a sugar coating of the true timeline
              Last edited by Hoggslayer; 07-17-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Once you figure out a way to protect the schools... How are you going to protect all the school buses full of kids? Harden one target and they will just on to another soft target.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                  Once you figure out a way to protect the schools... How are you going to protect all the school buses full of kids? Harden one target and they will just on to another soft target.
                  I have brought a couple of such scenarios in this forums previously.

Police with metal detectors on every bus.......

Comment

Would something as simple as metal detectors at limited entry points not cut down on some of this stuff? I mean, it sure seems like a logical place for EVERY school of EVER size in EVERY town to start.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                      Would something as simple as metal detectors at limited entry points not cut down on some of this stuff? I mean, it sure seems like a logical place for EVERY school of EVER size in EVERY town to start.
                      It would. Remember... all these ideas cost money. Not a lot of districts have the type of money it takes to fund this type of stuff. It would take grants and federal funds. Then, there are the ones that scream their civil rights are being violated.
                      No doubt it is a huge undertaking.

Comment

Glad to see you have a burr in your saddle now, please keep up the fight long after your children have graduated.

Comment

It would. Remember... all these ideas cost money. Not a lot of districts have the type of money it takes to fund this type of stuff. It would take grants and federal funds. Then, there are the ones that scream their civil rights are being violated.
                          No doubt it is a huge undertaking.
                          My $0.02 is that this SHOULD be a priority for all school boards, besides keeping teachers employed and paid decent. And since the federal government likes handing money out so much, how has this not been shoved down our throats whether it "violates your civil rights" or not?(I know you weren't alluding to that, just making a statement).

Comment

This and the kids piled up at the front door waiting on the doors to unlock from the office or a central location, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders coming from the gym to enter the building in the morning or when the last bell rings and all the kids pile out of a bunch of doors heading to busses, cars or to walk home.
                            We do need to harden the main schools now more that what is being done today. I have yet to see one since I got back into the teaching profession in 2012 that was safe period.
                            Yes the doors are locked and you have to have a badge or ring the bell to get in, but the cameras are not very good at seeing faces and if the office even looks at the people entering I would be amazed. All you have to say is "I am here to see my son, daughter, bring their books or whatever and you are in".

I see this episode everyday and there is no sure cure for safety in this type of scenario short of building a facility where ALL the kids are driven or bused into a secure building attached to the main school and let out, but then again this requires a lot of money but it still does not protect the kids that walk and it would be a headache for all those vehicles to come into a building in a short period of time.

No easy answers but there are some things that would not cost much to help in each area.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              I have brought a couple of such scenarios in this forums previously.

Police with metal detectors on every bus.......
                              Yep you sure did. You swoop in like a buzzard and **** on everything and just leave. Bring some suggestions with you next time instead of just criticism. Obviously we can't fix everything so we just dont do anything?

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                                My $0.02 is that this SHOULD be a priority for all school boards, besides keeping teachers employed and paid decent. And since the federal government likes handing money out so much, how has this not been shoved down our throats whether it "violates your civil rights" or not?(I know you weren't alluding to that, just making a statement).
                                One major thing is to force government to direct funds towards kids safety and not frivolous programs. I know people may disagree with this thought. But, look at the template they use in Israel to protect schools and buses. They may have some good ideas that can be cherry picked.

Comment

Working...
                                X