Lease Prices over a decade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Prices over a decade.

I grew up hunting in Rosevelt, Tx from 2000-2009 we then left our lease to join a lease in Sonora, Tx that we lost within 3 years due to the land owner passing and his son inheriting and selling.

I recently started out trying to come in contact with the landowner of the lease in Rosevelt I grew up hunting as a kid/teen. We had 750 acres paying $750 a person for 9 years. After going through many contacts I finally got the landowners number. I reached out to him seeing if he is still leasing out the multiple properties he has and he told me yes and remembered my family from 10 years ago. I asked if he has any openings and he said yes but much has changed that now he charges $3,300 a gun. My mind is absolutely blown on just how much deer lease pricing has changed over the last 10 years.
    It sucks not being able to find a place to hunt anymore simply due to the outrageous pricing of leases now. If I am unable to find a deer lease with a reasonably price it looks like I may be switching to public land and Texas Parks and Wildlife drawn hunts then buying a small property to hunt when I have the money for it.
    Has anybody else seen a property price rise on pricing so extreme as this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
    I grew up hunting in Rosevelt, Tx from 2000-2009 we then left our lease to join a lease in Sonora, Tx that we lost within 3 years due to the land owner passing and his son inheriting and selling.

I recently started out trying to come in contact with the landowner of the lease in Rosevelt I grew up hunting as a kid/teen. We had 750 acres paying $750 a person for 9 years. After going through many contacts I finally got the landowners number. I reached out to him seeing if he is still leasing out the multiple properties he has and he told me yes and remembered my family from 10 years ago. I asked if he has any openings and he said yes but much has changed that now he charges $3,300 a gun. My mind is absolutely blown on just how much deer lease pricing has changed over the last 10 years.
    It sucks not being able to find a place to hunt anymore simply due to the outrageous pricing of leases now. If I am unable to find a deer lease with a reasonably price it looks like I may be switching to public land and Texas Parks and Wildlife drawn hunts then buying a small property to hunt when I have the money for it.
    Has anybody else seen a property price rise on pricing so extreme as this?

Ya.....all of Texas! It's becoming a rich mans sport.

Comment

Supply/Demand with a side order of what improvements have been made (ie. power, water, amenities, feeders, stands, management programs, MLDP, class of deer, etc...)
      Most leases dont stay just a piece of land when occupied for hunting... amenities are usually added and built upon.. which, like putting sheds, pools, etc on your own property, increase its value.

Comment

Pretty sure thats the story everywhere. I too am taking time away until i can find money to buy a place. Sucks since me and my dad always hunt together and we both arent getting any younger. The cost has definitely taken.l a lot of the fun out of it for sure

Comment

In the end, this fact made me buy!

Comment

Only gonna continue to get worse.

Comment

Yup pretty expensive. But I couldn't afford to buy a multi million dollar ranch to run around on and use as my own ever. So for $3-4K a year shared with couple buddies I am able to do that. Its a family decision as well. My wife and kids know that we miss out on a few things so that we can afford to pay that lease fee. But in the end its the best thing for us and what we want to do.

Comment

Yes sir, the lease my dad and I were on just went up 150%, from $2k to $5k, we kindly told them no thanks. When I told them we we’re getting off the lease, they got mad AT US! Ha, I guess they already had that money earmarked for something.
                Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                  In the end, this fact made me buy!
                  Problem is....I need about $750K worth of land in the area I want to hunt in. Not gonna happen for $275 per month.

When I retire and sell my property in Alvin, then buy a bigger property at least 200 miles away from Houston, I'm golden!....until then, I'm just renting happiness!

Comment

I'd be curious to know what the average lease price is as a percentage of average annual income compared for the last 20 years.

It's a fact that lease prices have risen steadily, but so has just about everything else.

I mean, the new truck you ride in on the way to your lease cost at least 2X's as much as it did 20 years ago. Why wouldn't the cost of the deer lease do the same thing?

I'd also tend to believe the huge population influxes to TX has made a significant impact as well. It's not that all of these new residents are hunters, but they sure as heck are buying up some of the land; whether it be out in the country or due to urban sprawl. So on top of inflation, there's simply less land with just as many or more hunters.

Comment

Hey OP....weren't you just inquiring about $60K trucks????

Priorities son!

Comment

Prices are crazy, we have been looking for a lease for a few years and still nothing I want to pay for. Between time and money spent on some leases, it would be cheaper to go pay to shot a deer on a high fence that is guaranteed.

Comment

Not sure what they are getting now but here is some pricing from way back.

Edwards County 1988 $500.00 per family (me and my dad could both fill our tags)
                          Lavaca County 1990 $250.00 per family (me and my dad could both fill our tags)
                          Kinney County 1996 $1,150.00 per gun
                          Leon County 1997 $500.00 per gun
                          Kinney County 2000 $1,250.00 per gun
                          Kinney County 2002 $1,250.00 per gun
                          San Saba County 2003 $2,000.00 per gun

Comment

I'm with Darton, this is why I bought a piece of land to just hunt on. I think if you can find a friend or relative that has the same hunting goals as you why not partner up and buy a place.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Hey OP....weren't you just inquiring about $60K trucks????

Priorities son!

Comment

Working...
                              X