Local School Talks of Arming Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
    Saw on the news a local school district in the East Tx area soliciting feedback from parents on possible arming of teachers. Not overly surprised we are getting to this level of discussion & consideration. I’m sure there will be pros & cons on the subject with different perspectives.
    We should’ve used part of that $90 million dollar school bond on a bulk buy of glocks

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
      The voters of the state didn't have any part in the process unless you are talking about electing their senator and representative.

The law mandates nothing. It “allows” school marshals.

The state law also “allows” school districts to have their own police department yet probably 95% do not.

If the voters want something, they can absolutely have it. Those voters are the ones in the local school districts who elect their school board.
      Yes that's the part I'm referring to. I realize it doesn't mandate arming teachers. Does that mean it shouldn't come with a added responsibility? If you are given a tool you refuse to use are you not exspected to to still get the job done?

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        Yes that's the part I'm referring to. I realize it doesn't mandate arming teachers. (1.) Does that mean it shouldn't come with a added responsibility? (2.) If you are given a tool you refuse to use are you not exspected to to still get the job done?

Hoggslayer
        (1.) Yes.

(2.) No.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          We should’ve used part of that $90 million dollar school bond on a bulk buy of glocks
          Lol. I agree

Comment

I have a good friend that teaches at the school where my kids go & he is not 100% sold on arming teachers. He said some of those kids are bigger & stronger that could take a gun away from a teacher potentially. I see his point & concern. There are many cases where it has been a current student that was the shooter. Knowing you potentially have a student lurking & plotting could be of concern knowing guns are present somewhere. Worse case scenario that kid is able to isolate a teacher that is carrying now you have a self defense situation. I’m curious if there is situational training to address this?
            My wife is a teacher (1st grade) & so far no talks of arming teachers where my kids go but she and I have had many conversations on this subject of whats best options. Sounds like many schools have taken action. That’s good to hear

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              (1.) Yes.

(2.) No.
              Thats a really short answer for a complicated subject. I really look forword to reading most of your post because your answers are usually very thorough. So just to breakdown and clarify the questions.

1) Their choices SHOULD NOT come with additional responsibilities.

Your answer was : Yes it SHOULD NOT?

2) If a person refuses to use tools given to perform thier duties they SHOULD still be required to complete the task.

Your answer was: No they SHOULD NOT?

If this is correct can you please elaborate.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Dont buy into the reasoning of .."shouldnt arm myself because then it can be taken away"...
                Thats a **** poor squeamish coward excuse and he shouldnt be armed anyway.
                It would have been better had he said, "guns scare me".

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  Dont buy into the reasoning of .."shouldnt arm myself because then it can be taken away"...
                  Thats a **** poor squeamish coward excuse and he shouldnt be armed anyway.
                  It would have been better had he said, "guns scare me".
                  I'm confused. Did I miss a post somewhere?

Hoggslayer

Comment

I have a good friend that teaches at the school where my kids go & he is not 100% sold on arming teachers. He said some of those kids are bigger & stronger that could take a gun away from a teacher potentially. I see his point & concern. There are many cases where it has been a current student that was the shooter. Knowing you potentially have a student lurking & plotting could be of concern knowing guns are present somewhere. Worse case scenario that kid is able to isolate a teacher that is carrying now you have a self defense situation. I’m curious if there is situational training to address this?
                    My wife is a teacher (1st grade) & so far no talks of arming teachers where my kids go but she and I have had many conversations on this subject of whats best options. Sounds like many schools have taken action. That’s good to hear
                    I'm confused. Did I miss a post somewhere?

Hoggslayer
                    maybe?

Comment

At Huffman, they said it will be set up to where only a select few will ever know who is and isn't armed. So that would never be an issue. I think most schools that participate are set up this way.

Comment

I believe on line schooling will become " the thing" in years to come. All these shootings are just unbelievable, and don't seem to be ending. If the teachers are carriying, I hope the students don't know wich ones are. Because they will be sought out first, most of these are done by students of that school, or former students. Times are changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          If you are going at him with phrases like "realistic discussion", I'm afraid you are destined to end up disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That sounds logical.
                          Not much logic in this thread yet.

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          I believe on line schooling will become " the thing" in years to come. All these shootings are just unbelievable, and don't seem to be ending. If the teachers are carriying, I hope the students don't know wich ones are. Because they will be sought out first, most of these are done by students of that school, or former students. Times are changing.
                          If a teacher carries the students will know. If you think otherwise you need to go spend time in an overcrowded classroom.

And I will ask this again to everyone. Please show me this huge uptrend in school shootings. All I've seen are the exaggerated media charts that include everything they can fathom to get the numbers up.
                          I want to know per capita the number of kids shot going back 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

If a teacher carries the students will know. If you think otherwise you need to go spend time in an overcrowded classroom.

And I will ask this again to everyone. Please show me this huge uptrend in school shootings. All I've seen are the exaggerated media charts that include everything they can fathom to get the numbers up.
                            If you were shot..would you give a **** how many times it happened in last 30 years?
                            No.
                            obtuse to be obtuse is just moronic

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

How can I put this politely? I can't so I'll be the bigger man and say good day sir. If you have children, I pray that you never have to look them in the eye and tell them you cowered down to society because "there just wasn't enough danger per capita for me to give a ****"

How does this ignore list work?

Comment

Some amazing statements. Be proactive not reactive.

The school system my wife retired from going on 2 years ago HAS designated armed teachers/administrators but their identity is NOT known except for a few in admin. The goal "should be" NO students are aware, make it known there is a "RISK" to any who would do harm at the school. Frankly, in a large population/campus, the presence of "1" resource officer is a deterrent....to a point?

The "Marshal" concept is great in theory and "Training" is the key. I still struggle somewhat with those designated to carry who not law enforcement/military background to confront the assailant so Train, Train, Train! Obviously, keep in mind not everyone who wears the badge has had to use deadly force. You would believe you can and would but never know for sure until the time comes.

To do NOTHING and not prepare, IMO, is like ignoring & conceding it's inevitable. Not the attitude I would want for my family or kids!! ARM THEM!

Comment

Working...
                                X