No announcement yet.

Local School Talks of Arming Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure we need to address the causes but I've never understood the logic that preventing responsible gun owners closest to the situation from defending themselves and their kids somehow isn't anything other than the BEST option.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      good list.. where would you start and how to do enforce changes?
      Where does the medical community fall in this?
      Do they have a responsibility with the over diagnosing of issues and overuse of psycho/mood altering drugs?
      How do you curb that?
      How about parenting and single parent households.. is that a contributor? How do you address that?

Do you see any of these even remotely possible for realistic discussion, let alone change, given the state of progression this country and the world has taken in past 3 decades?

yeh me either... meanwhile lets put effective measures in place to help protect kids from what is being produced by society.
      Of course you're right. But it's also safe to say that if schools pass bonds or raise taxes to "protect our children" they will make horrible decisions and squander the money.

If you take the money it will take to stop school shootings and apply it elsewhere you will save a lot more lives. I'm not listing them...Just google how kids die.

Comment

Do they have a responsibility with the over diagnosing of issues and overuse of psycho/mood altering drugs?

How do you curb that?

How about parenting and single parent households.. is that a contributor? How do you address that?

Do you see any of these even remotely possible for realistic discussion, let alone change, given the state of progression this country and the world has taken in past 3 decades?

yeh me either... meanwhile lets put effective measures in place to help protect kids from what is being produced by society.

If you are going at him with phrases like "realistic discussion", I'm afraid you are destined to end up disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          If you are going at him with phrases like "realistic discussion", I'm afraid you are destined to end up disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

That sounds logical.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              Saw on the news a local school district in the East Tx area soliciting feedback from parents on possible arming of teachers. Not overly surprised we are getting to this level of discussion & consideration. I’m sure there will be pros & cons on the subject with different perspectives.
              Which school in East Texas is it?

Comment

How do you curb that?

Valid points. However, that’s a lengthy process to make this level of change. Not saying to not go there but doesn’t hurt in the short term mitigate some risks with increased security/protection. These are children’s lives we are talking about. In general, I’m in support of arming teachers just curious the best method to roll it out

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Which school in East Texas is it?
                  Mineola ISD was in recent talks about it

Comment

The law, effective June 14, 2013, allows school districts to arm school employees and created an additional category of a certified peace officer known as a "school marshal" who can conceal carry a handgun. Districts can appoint one marshal per 200 students at a campus or one marshal per building in which students received regular instruction.
                    TRAINING REQUIRED
                    Before becoming a marshal the employee must undergo a psychological exam. The law also requires 80 hours of specialized training. The instruction includes how to prevent school shootings and keep potential victims safe, the use of deadly force, handgun training and other peace officer duties.
                    ARE GUNS IN CLASSROOMS
                    Under the law, if the primary duty of the school marshal involves "regular, direct contact with students" the marshal cannot carry the handgun but may have it "in a locked and secured safe" within the marshal's immediate reach.
                    WHEN WEAPON CAN BE ACCESSED
                    A school marshal may only access a handgun under circumstances that would justify the use of deadly force under the penal code.
                    OTHER OPTIONS
                    Some districts have opted to use what's been dubbed the "Guardian Plan," which allows school boards to consider authorizing greater access to firearms on campuses.
                    Under the Guardian Plan, a district can grant anyone, including employees, permission to carry firearms on campuses through a contract.

Question is, what happens if your school district chooses to go against the voters of our state. This law has been around for some time. The majority of voters support it, but a district can choose to not use it with no consequences. At present a district can make any choice they want and not take on one ounce responsibility for that choice. A choice that goes against the states majority should come with a certain amount of liability. This liability will force districts to put additional measures in place to limit their exposure to this liability; in turn creating the safer environment that was the original intent of the law.

Comment

I work construction and most of the summer we spend working on ISD’s. Today I had a school official in a pre construction meeting tell me that we could leave our chl weapons in our vehicles while on school property. That a big change from previous answers.

Comment

Comment

Been on our campus for two years now. Only staff that want to and go to several training classes are allowed to carry a weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                            Will the librarians get silencers?
                            Lol

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                              I’m a teacher and would gladly complete any requirements my district asked me to if I could carry. Doesn’t look like it’ll happen, though.
                              I would say the odds in your district are about as good as Nancy Pelosi joining Trump’s cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

........Question is, what happens if your school district chooses to go against the voters of our state. This law has been around for some time. The majority of voters support it, but a district can choose to not use it with no consequences. At present a district can make any choice they want and not take on one ounce responsibility for that choice. A choice that goes against the states majority should come with a certain amount of liability. This liability will force districts to put additional measures in place to limit their exposure to this liability; in turn creating the safer environment that was the original intent of the law.
                                The voters of the state didn't have any part in the process unless you are talking about electing their senator and representative.

The law mandates nothing. It “allows” school marshals.

The state law also “allows” school districts to have their own police department yet probably 95% do not.

If the voters want something, they can absolutely have it. Those voters are the ones in the local school districts who elect their school board.

Comment

Working...
                                X