No announcement yet.

Safer Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School districts are required to complete a safety audit from the state every three years. Its a simple form to fill out and a written report to include with it. No accountability involved. I'm sure they are all in a big warehouse in Austin where nobody has ever looked a them.

Comment

It will only get fixed from the ground up. Communities will bear the brunt of the responsibility for making change happen.

Be at those meetings. DEMAND that security become top priority or you will school your kids at home.

We as individuals, then as a like-minded group, focused on the cause can make change happen.

Never give up. Never give in. Complacency is what got us here. Act!

Comment

So far, everything I've read is talking about money. Yes, I do realize that's what most of it boils down to but what are some specific ideas to push on our school boards? Not just say you need to put more money on safety. They can pump up the budget but if it's not used for effective measures, than it's just a waste too.

Comment

It is just my opinion that there isn't any money to be made by making our schools safe. I have one going into 9th and 2 going into 7th and every year it makes me sick to see what the public schools waste all their money on/ uh oh a budget short again, we blew it all too quick. We need more money. Again.

It is also my opinion that this is more of a political debate rather than a rational one. Neither side wants to give an inch on any solid approach to fixing the problem.

I am so sick of the "we don't want the schools to look like prisons."

My children have never spent anytime in jail or prison yet. Yet they are perfectly ok with going to sporting events/airports where they go through security and have a really good time while doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
            It will only get fixed from the ground up. Communities will bear the brunt of the responsibility for making change happen.

Be at those meetings. DEMAND that security become top priority or you will school your kids at home.

We as individuals, then as a like-minded group, focused on the cause can make change happen.

Never give up. Never give in. Complacency is what got us here. Act!
            We need parents holding their administrators accountable and voters holding our official accountable.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Anyone who wants to make a change to schools should run for election to their local school board. Run on the platform of prioritizing school safety. Win the election. Make the changes. In 2-3 years every school board in Texas would controlled by safety-first members. Simple plan, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                I didn't mean to turn this thread into a high school athletics debate, but since we are here.
                In just 30 seconds of research on the web, I found this info.
                Some of the high school football stadiums we've built in recent years.
                2001 Dragon Stadium, Southlake Carroll $15.3 M ($4.6 M renovation in 2010)
                Total: $19.9 M
                2004 C.H. Collins Stadium, Denton ISD $23 M
                2005 Kincaide Stadium, Dallas ISD $40 M
                2006 Vernon Newsom Stadium, Mansfield ISD $29.8 M
                2005 Toyota Stadium, Frisco ISD $80 M ($39 M renovation pending)
                2012 Eagle Stadium, Allen $60 M
                2015 Memorial Stadium, Mesquite ISD $11M in renovations
                2017 Legacy Stadium Katy, TX $62M
                Under construction McKinney ISD Stadium $69.9 M (cracks in concrete discovered and unclear when it will open)
                Under construction Prosper ISD $48M

That's almost 1/2 Billion and I'm sure there are tons more.

Last year Clay's School put turf on their field. I bet they wish they had spent that money elsewhere now.
                Talk about a complete waste of money, this seems like the root of the dumbing down of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                  Anyone who wants to make a change to schools should run for election to their local school board. Run on the platform of prioritizing school safety. Win the election. Make the changes. In 2-3 years every school board in Texas would controlled by safety-first members. Simple plan, right?
                  Should be but I know its not that easy. It's not always peaches and cream when you get off in it knee deep.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Almost 70 million for a high school stadium!!
                    Wow

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                      Almost 70 million for a high school stadium!!
                      Wow
                      You should see how many $15M - $20M indoor practice facilities Texas High schools have now a days. If a District can spend that kind of money so little Johnny doesn't have to brake a sweat while he's playing football, you'd think they could spend $1M on maybe a few extras campus police. Heck, maybe even a few extra teachers or just a little more pay for the ones they do have.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                        Talk about a complete waste of money, this seems like the root of the dumbing down of the population.
                        Please expand on this.
                        You think.. facilities that provide the latest technologies, equipment, atmosphere, and programs are the 'root of the dumbing down of the population'.... not the liberal, everyone gets a medal, everyone passes, no discipline allowed, state ran tests, and teaching methods that are absolutely the most ludicrous **** on the planet ..... the stadiums built with bond money which the community supplies....are.....
                        really?
                        thats what you're goin with?

Security funding should be state provided for a standard - any extra be municipal/bonded.

Comment

Hoggslayer- First off I have said many prayers for your family. I will say that HS athletics keeps many kids in school. I was one of them. With that said for football I would reccomend. 1 stadium for the district. Put security measures in place. Make all teams share this facility and not everyone plays on Friday night. Alot easier to staff security and put things in place for safety at one venue over multiple days at one place than everything one night. Make the actual sports funded by booster. Parents support the teams. Take the saved money and put it into school safety.
                          Last edited by glen; 07-12-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                            There is no limit/ or value that I would put on my childs life or my wife's life. Im sorry but what wrote is totally wrong. I would die for my children or wife and not think twice about it!
                            Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            No comment back? I guess he's still crunching the numbers trying to come up with that value.
                            In fairy tale land there is no limit. In real life there is. If you're child (or mine) is worth 10 million then every child is worth 10 mil. There's simply not that much money out there.
                            Most people would die for their family. Put you can put a value on life. There's statistical data in each Country that has this value. Google it.

If you can't be at least a little logical for this portion of this discussion I'll bow out.

As for schools wasting money..I've said that for years so I agree 100%. I have plenty of posts on here complaining about school waste and scams.

As mentioned before if you think just telling the schools the kids need to be safer will solve the problem IMO you're mistaken. Schools seem to never made good decisions with money or anything really. What is it you want schools to do exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              Hoggslayer- First off I have said many prayers for your family. I will say that HS athletics keeps many kids in school. I was one of them. With that said for football I would reccomend. 1 stadium for the district. Put security measures in place. Make all teams share this facility and not everyone plays on Friday night. Alot easier to staff security and put things in place for safety at one venue over multiple days at one place than everything one night. Make the actual sports funded by booster. Parents support the teams. Take the saved money and put it into school safety.
                              Sort of like marching band. And this is a good idea. I thought that's what they were doing in Round Rock Kelly Reeves Stadium. That thing is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                                Under Texas law local districts can vote on bonds for athletics, but cannot vote on a bond for improving security, specifically if those funds would pay a person such as a security officer.

We have to keep things a level playing field per school finance laws, except athletics. The logic is the state controls funding of basic needs so no school or district has disproportionate funds, more simply so wealthy areas do not have an advantage over low income districts

You want things to change, that is where it needs to happen. Districts should have the latitude to fund security and non-educator staffing for security purposes

Comment

Working...
                                X