Safer Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    One change that I'd like to see is a Safety audit of our schools. One that is reported to the public just like their academic ratings. The Lower your score, the higher percentage of your budget must go to safety.
    Guess we gotta have some type of metrics to develop the safety audit. Is there a GOLD standard? It appears security is all over the board in this county, state, heck ……..nationally!

Comment

TTT.

If you have children in public schools you should be more involved. Geezzz.....If I shot a button buck out of season I would get a bigger rise out of y'all.

Hoggslayer

Comment

After the Santa Fe shooting our school (Burnet) met with the City of Burnet, School Board and PD and decided to have a full-time officer on each campus and 2 at the highschool. They also revamped security and from my understanding doing active drills this summer. More is needed but its a start.

Comment

I have gone to my kids schools with them and walked around explaining what to do if on lockdown. I still think there should be nice athletic facilities- split them up and have one per District and break up play- Football does not have to be Friday night. Have all day Saturday and Saturday night. The sports themselves should be booster. You want your kid to play in a good program move to that area that has strong booster program. This would free up money for security

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            I have gone to my kids schools with them and walked around explaining what to do if on lockdown. I still think there should be nice athletic facilities- split them up and have one per District and break up play- Football does not have to be Friday night. Have all day Saturday and Saturday night. The sports themselves should be booster. You want your kid to play in a good program move to that area that has strong booster program. This would free up money for security
            I think a nice football field is great. Santa fe spent money last year putting in turf. Money well spent up until May 18th. Now, not such a great investment. My point is we need to wake up and prioritize our children's safety. If your school district fails to meet a safety standard then the law should say they are required to prioritize safety when allocating budget. What is your schools safety rating? Is there a standard they are exspected to meet? If they dont meet it who knows? I was guilty of thinking it couldn't happen to me.

Hoggslayer

Comment

We should all agree we already pay too much in taxes to the ISD's

The public needs to demand they reform schools and stop wasting or stealing money and spend it wiser.

Personally I don't think spending millions or billions at schools will make the kids any safer. Shooters will find the loophole. And beside that there's not much evidence that shootings have increased per capita. It just feels that way because the media blows everything up instantly no matter where in the world it happens.

I will agree that if/when money is spent on safety it should come from athletics or money squandered elsewhere. Definitely not from new bonds or raised taxes. We don't need to be like the liberals that always say "it's about the children" I mean it is but there is (wether you like it or not) a limit/value on life.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

The public needs to demand they reform schools and stop wasting or stealing money and spend it wiser.

Personally I don't think spending millions or billions at schools will make the kids any safer. Shooters will find the loophole. And beside that there's not much evidence that shootings have increased per capita. It just feels that way because the media blows everything up instantly no matter where in the world it happens.

I will agree that if/when money is spent on safety it should come from athletics or money squandered elsewhere. Definitely not from new bonds or raised taxes. We don't need to be like the liberals that always say "it's about the children" I mean it is but there is (wether you like it or not) a limit/value on life.
                You can put a value on you child's life? What would that number be? Here are a few pics of my son, please tell me what his value is?
                Attached Files

Comment

I know for a fact that our school district is completely wasteful with money. They installed flat screen TV’s in a high school cafeteria to show a lunch menu! What was wrong with the piece of paper in the wall they used to have?

I also know they spend a ton of money on an AD that does hardly anything.

I’ve given some thought about running for school board and expose to the public how much waste is in our ISD. Then try to fix it. I’m still a few years away from that, but if I thought I could pull it off, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no limit/ or value that I would put on my childs life or my wife's life. Im sorry but what wrote is totally wrong. I would die for my children or wife and not think twice about it!

Comment

Indeed, very interesting thread

Comment

No comment back? I guess he's still crunching the numbers trying to come up with that value.

Comment

As I sit here in the principal's chair at my campus (lunch break!), I agree with everything you said. Schools need to be completely reformed to prioritize safety. That reform has to start at the top - with the legislature and TEA. Local school districts cant just re-arrange their funds to cover all the costs because of all the unfunded mandates that the state already requires of them. Not all districts have millions to spend at their own discretion. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent each year on state testing above and beyond what is required by the federal government. Reduce the testing (and the required funding) and use that savings on security. Put a % cap on funds for athletics. Safety audits already exist, but they are a joke. Tighten them up and include minimum requirements for all schools and tie it to their state funding. Eliminate unfunded mandates.
                          The money is already there to do all these things but the state has to change its priorities.
                          I was at a school board meeting this week where they couldn't agree to put a security fence around a school because of the appearance of a prison. Everyone's idea of school has to change.

Comment

edited...
                            Last edited by GrapeApe; 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                              edited...
                              I agree 100%, but I didn't want to get my own thread axed for name calling.

Thanks for your discretion. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                                As I sit here in the principal's chair at my campus (lunch break!), I agree with everything you said. Schools need to be completely reformed to prioritize safety. That reform has to start at the top - with the legislature and TEA. Local school districts cant just re-arrange their funds to cover all the costs because of all the unfunded mandates that the state already requires of them. Not all districts have millions to spend at their own discretion. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent each year on state testing above and beyond what is required by the federal government. Reduce the testing (and the required funding) and use that savings on security. Put a % cap on funds for athletics. Safety audits already exist, but they are a joke. Tighten them up and include minimum requirements for all schools and tie it to their state funding. Eliminate unfunded mandates.
                                The money is already there to do all these things but the state has to change its priorities.
                                I was at a school board meeting this week where they couldn't agree to put a security fence around a school because of the appearance of a prison. Everyone's idea of school has to change.
                                This is what I'm talking about. Are the Safety audits done by the state or just the districts insurance company? Its not really a Safety audit but a risk assessment. The state needs to do more.
                                Last edited by Hoggslayer; 07-11-2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X