Impending death in the family- travel route to Sioux City, IA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impending death in the family- travel route to Sioux City, IA

We learned yesterday that my wife’s grandpa is in the ER with acute renal failure. He is 90 and suffers from Alzheimer’s/dementia. Labs are pretty bad, and Dr gave him about 24 hrs. So looks like we are going to make a spur of the moment trip to Sioux City.

Anyone travelled up there from the panhandle? Looks like 2 decent routes. One over to I-35 through OKC up to Wichita and then into Nebraska. The other north through the panhandle to Dodge City and cuttting NE up to Lincoln. Looks like the latter avoids toll roads, but not sure how good the hiways are in rural KS

Prayers Up & Safe travels.

Comment

35 then i29 is a decent way. Lots of country to see

Comment

I would go north towards amarillo, then Liberal to Wichita. Go north on 135 straight to York, NE. Then Omaha to I-29 and up to sioux city.

A lot of the hwy in KS are pretty good. The only thing you will have to contend with right now is I think they are in the middle of wheat harvest......

I made a similar drive from Omaha to Perryton years ago, and don't remember it being brutal

Comment

The tolls on 35 aren't too expensive, I think last time we went through, it was like $8 one way. They don't take card though FYI. I have done that ride more times than I care to remember, and it's about the most boring ride you can imagine.

A friend used to do the back roads from Amarillo to Lincoln. She said it was a better route. Good luck and safe travels.

Comment

The Kansas turnpike is a really nice stretch of highway, and will probably save you some time.

Comment

I went to Lawrence.....
              Tolls not bad at all.....
              But it is booooring……..
              Sorry for the circumstances...….

Comment

75 north is probably your best route.. Just drove it yesterday. I pulled my airboat all the way to Doon to help with a major oil spill. Sorry for your family..

Comment

I'd skip I35

Comment

I've been up there. We go up through Liberal,Garden City and just follow highway 83 basically the whole way.

Comment

Your Texas toll tags work in Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                        Your Texas toll tags work in Kansas.
                        No toll roads in my area of the state, ergo no toll tags....

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          I've been up there. We go up through Liberal,Garden City and just follow highway 83 basically the whole way.
                          83 ain’t a bad way to go. Been from Uvalde to near Canada on it several times.

Comment

Call Southwest and see if they can work with you on plane tickets?

Sorry you are having to make such a trip

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Call Southwest and see if they can work with you on plane tickets?

Sorry you are having to make such a trip
                              This.
                              My wife's father died. He lived in Detroit, Mi.
                              Her sister was a truck driver, they was in LA. She got a bereavement flight for way cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X