Bow fishing reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow fishing reel

For those of you that pursue carp and other “regular” size fish, what is your go to reel? I’m in the process of rigging out another set up and want to see what others use - and why.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMS retriever is the way to go. Hand pull in all fish. Fast, easy to get renocked and ready to go. It way more efficient. Now if you like doing extra work then you can use a lot of different reels, just personal preference.

Comment

AMS Retriever is on my goto bow. I also have a Muzzy reel, but much prefer the AMS!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

AMS all the way. Had a push button reel set up. Don’t forget to push the button. Lost several arrows. AMS just shoot

Comment

Muzzy real !

I hate ams. Chunked 2 in lakes and have converted several others after fails.

Zebco ain’t what they once were, but I’d poke the line in my pocket before I ever shot another retriever

Comment

I have a zebco 808 because I am cheap and that is what I already had. I would rather something better and safer like the AMS reels. I have forgotten to push the button and launched arrows into the lake. That is better than it not breaking the string and rebounding the arrow into you.

Comment

Thanks all. I have the Zebco on my current rig, but was curious about the AMS or similar.

Skooter

Comment

Bow fishing reel

Spinners and the retriever are both good setups. It’s all personal preference after that. They all have issues, and you learn to work around them. You asked what we would recommend, and got votes for both. I still say I’d rather use an AMS over a spinner any day!

Also, in my opinion, the AMS is hands down the better option if you are going after really big fish!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shot a retriever for years then switched to zebco for tournaments.the retriever takes some getting used to and tricks to make it work better.I used to sell a line guide that went on the retriever that make it shot 10 time better,and another trick is to clamp the line shut after you shoot and don't let extra line pile out that you have to reel back in.zebco are junk but you just have to have a bucket of them to switch out when they puke their guts out LOL.
                  There is two new reel coming out that look promising RPM reel and the Bigmouth reel,both kinda the same zebco type but has lever you pull only to reel in line so you don't have to worry about the button push.I think like 70 for the rpm and 300 for the bigmouth YIKES but it does come with reel seat and line guide but still.but if it works might be worth it !

Comment

Hey Jeremy, When you get time look at or google "Mega mouth bowfishing reel"
                    They are high dollar but eventually, I may have to try one.

Right now I have both the AMS, and an 808.

Comment

Ams all day every day

Comment

anyone ever use Cajun

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                          anyone ever use Cajun
                          yep don't waste your time

Comment

Thanks all. Some good stuff. I like the looks of the new items.

Bobby,

I found a target rich environment close to home. It’s been a long time since I did any serious bow fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                              yep don't waste your time
                              good info

Comment

Working...
                              X