223 vs 7.62x39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

223 vs 7.62x39

If you were shooting steel, pigs, and varmints under 100 yds (iron sights), would you rather have a 223 (1:9 twist) or a 7.62x39?

...in regards to this gun if you're curious: http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

7.62x39 if you're throwing hogs into the mix. I've shot hogs in the body with a .223 and it didn't even slow them down.

Comment

Thse work pretty well at 55 graiins. Seems like the 70s would be a nice increase

Click image for larger version

Name:	4BCE8357-0703-4740-BB77-FAEE71C9E133.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	24539647

Comment

223 for ammo variety alone. Killed hundreds with that caliber

Comment

7.62x39! Blast some pigs

Comment

From reading the specs I would go with the .233 since it states it wont perform properly with brass ammo on the 7.62. Why limit yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was all about the 7.62 before I read .311 bore.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                From reading the specs I would go with the .233 since it states it wont perform properly with brass ammo on the 7.62. Why limit yourself.

That’s a valid point! Maybe someone has some real world experience with ammo selection.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post

I noticed that but there are a ton of reviews on Midway and everyone seems to have good luck with their CZ's on steel and brass cartridges.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    Thse work pretty well at 55 graiins. Seems like the 70s would be a nice increase

[ATTACH]908521[/ATTACH]

Except those do best when shot lite and fast for caliber, I would expect 55’s to do better that 70’s in 223

Comment

7.62 x 39 for hogs and cheap plinking!

Comment

Wolf makes a steel cased 154 grain soft point that is a pig death ray. I shoot it in ar that I put together. Killed 2 big hogs, a coyote, and a few other varmints in the last two weeks. It expànds on the small stuff but hold together on the pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
                          . It expànds on the small stuff but hold together on the pigs.
                          Please explain how that works?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Please explain how that works?
                            Expanding and "holding together" are not mutually exclusive. I believe Mr. Nosler started that trend in the '40s and others have been "improving" on it ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
                              Wolf makes a steel cased 154 grain soft point that is a pig death ray. I shoot it in ar that I put together. Killed 2 big hogs, a coyote, and a few other varmints in the last two weeks. It expànds on the small stuff but hold together on the pigs.
                              Thanks for the heads up

Comment

Working...
                              X