No announcement yet.

Survey - 1st Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am an NM fan, but if you don't draw a tag, you can spend more on the tag than you will on the outfitter in most cases. DIY in CO will be extremely difficult, and you might not even hear an elk bugle. Set your budget then do your research, if I can help send me a PM

Comment

I am going on my first elk hunt in Wyoming next year. Wyoming and Montana may be my first choice for you since you can still buy a preference point in those states this summer. My goal before I die is to kill an elk in Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
        I am an NM fan, but if you don't draw a tag, you can spend more on the tag than you will on the outfitter in most cases. DIY in CO will be extremely difficult, and you might not even hear an elk bugle. Set your budget then do your research, if I can help send me a PM
        Pretty much sums it up. NM is Managered for quality vs opportunity. As far as OTC, Idaho ranks above CO but that extra drive time cuts out almost two days worth of hunting

Comment

If it’s your first hunt for elk, I’d recommend you seriously consider a guided hunt
          You can save yourself a lot of headaches and mistakes going this route. Call and talk to a few outfitters and ask about where they guide, amount of acres they have access to and what has their success rate been in the past. Also ask how many years experience they have guiding as well as how many years of that experience is in the area you will be hunting with them. Going this route can teach you a lot about how to hunt elk as well as how to chose you hunting tactics, calling when and where, etc.
          I’d recommend you look at New Mexico I think you would prob have a higher success chance there over Colorado.
          Important = get in shape ! Be prepared to walk, a lot , be mobile during your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
            If it’s your first hunt for elk, I’d recommend you seriously consider a guided hunt
            You can save yourself a lot of headaches and mistakes going this route. Call and talk to a few outfitters and ask about where they guide, amount of acres they have access to and what has their success rate been in the past. Also ask how many years experience they have guiding as well as how many years of that experience is in the area you will be hunting with them. Going this route can teach you a lot about how to hunt elk as well as how to chose you hunting tactics, calling when and where, etc.
            I’d recommend you look at New Mexico I think you would prob have a higher success chance there over Colorado.
            Important = get in shape ! Be prepared to walk, a lot , be mobile during your hunt.
            Great information, thank you. Probably about a year out on trip and that is why I wanted to start gathering info and start a training regiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
              Great information, thank you. Probably about a year out on trip and that is why I wanted to start gathering info and start a training regiment.
              Are you going alone or with a group ?

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                Are you going alone or with a group ?
                will probably end up being 2-3 group

Comment

I am going on the contrary to everyone else and say skip the guide, and plan and do everything yourself. You will learn 10x more than if you are following around a guide. Even if you find a great guide, willing to point out exactly what he's doing and why, I still think you learn more doing it on your own. That starts with e-scouting now, learning how to use a mouth call, learning elk calls, reading up on elk biology this summer, contacting local fish and game folks, following rainfall totals, finding local forums to follow, and taking a summer trip to your spots if you can swing it.

Don't let others slow you down if you want to go unguided.

Comment

I would get a guide and make sure it is 1x1. I have been on one elk hunt in New Mexico and it was right in your price range. (I did draw a tag though.) We were in elk every hunt. Pull up in the truck in the morning, get out and you hear elk bugling. I did my hunt with Brian Newel with Top Notch Outfitters.

Whatever you decide, just go do it!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      I am going on the contrary to everyone else and say skip the guide, and plan and do everything yourself. You will learn 10x more than if you are following around a guide. Even if you find a great guide, willing to point out exactly what he's doing and why, I still think you learn more doing it on your own. That starts with e-scouting now, learning how to use a mouth call, learning elk calls, reading up on elk biology this summer, contacting local fish and game folks, following rainfall totals, finding local forums to follow, and taking a summer trip to your spots if you can swing it.

Don't let others slow you down if you want to go unguided.
                      I've kind of been leaning this way since the beginning, and have always been DIY outdoors. But that's why I also wanted to get the general input of the GS and Texas hunters. Taking general knowledge/strategies from Texas might be a large leap to another species/ecosystem, and it may not end up in a harvest, but that is ok with me. That just means I'll get to try again!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig into this, and I just wanted to start focusing in on what region to pursue.

Honestly I would love to get drawn for AZ, we lived in Flagstaff for (2) years and I never got drawn on a permit, but enjoyed watching the herds out camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                        I would get a guide and make sure it is 1x1. I have been on one elk hunt in New Mexico and it was right in your price range. (I did draw a tag though.) We were in elk every hunt. Pull up in the truck in the morning, get out and you hear elk bugling. I did my hunt with Brian Newel with Top Notch Outfitters.

Whatever you decide, just go do it!
                        I'll check it out, thanks!

Comment

Start building points for AZ,because no matter where you go for your first trip,you will want to go again

Comment

Contrary

Contrary to people who love hunting elk , I am not a high country lover
                            When I went , every body in our group got altitude sickness(base camp was 8500) everybody was successful in harvesting a nice bull but one guy who was to sick to hunt ,
                            We hunted private land in south central Colorado, west of Trinidad
                            It was a bucket list hunt for me so we went with a guide . And was really glad we did as having 4 sick guys in one camp was tough
                            I have hunted and fished up high before and elk hunting was the toughest hunt ever!
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-18-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

If you are only going to go once, I think getting a guide is reasonable. If you are going to try to go every year or every other year, then go DIY in my opinion.

5-6K is enough for a unit wide landowner tag in New Mexico in a good unit.
                              Last edited by El General; 05-18-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

My Montana elk combo license came in the mail yesterday. Buy a good pack, load it to 30# with gear and bricks and start hiking up the biggest hills you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X