Rockport Fishing Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rockport Fishing Newbie

I just bought a new to me Pathfinder. The family and I are headed to Rockport for spring break (first time ever). Not looking for anyone's fishing spots, Just looking for any general information. We're staying in the Key Allegro area. Thanks for any info....

Pm AtTheWall.

Comment

I drug my boat down there last summer and just fished some of the hot spots on my maps. We did well in Copano Bay. We also fished on the Copano Bay pier and you can catch all the trout you want, they're just not keepers.

Comment

East and a little north of Key Allegro is Paul's Mott. I'd work the area between there and Jaybird and Jaybird to Spaulding looking for area drains and bait. Long Reef is right off Paul's Mott and other Aransas mid bay reefs will hold fish if it isn't too rough.

Comment

Shoot across the bay and fish Long Reef.

Comment

First of all, congrats on the boat. Second...you couldn't have picked a worse time to get it out in Rockport. lol

It's gonna be chaotic so be patient. Personally I would drag it down to Cove Harbor and fish Redfish and Aransas Bay. Estes Flats is huge and holds lots of fish. Just drift the sand pockets with some live shrimp and you'll be golden. The outside of Traylor Island can be productive if the winds are too bad. Lots of areas to drift there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
              First of all, congrats on the boat. Second...you couldn't have picked a worse time to get it out in Rockport. lol

It's gonna be chaotic so be patient. Personally I would drag it down to Cove Harbor and fish Redfish and Aransas Bay. Estes Flats is huge and holds lots of fish. Just drift the sand pockets with some live shrimp and you'll be golden. The outside of Traylor Island can be productive if the winds are too bad. Lots of areas to drift there as well.
              I was just about to say exactly this. Steadmans is very good as well. Shrimp and popping corks.

Comment

Rockport is crowed. On a pretty days there may be 2 dozen boats on the above mentioned reefs. There is often lots of testosterone flowing on busy weekends. Plenty of 'likes to fight' guy in Rockport.

Estes can be really good, much of it is no prop zone- so be careful where you run. The back side of St Joes has miles of fishable area. If you choose to drift and catch a solid red in a sand pocket- odds are there is a school in the area. Anchor and fish slowly through that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a fishing gear shop on the main road going thru town, the guys in there have always been helpful, sent us to places to put the grandkids on fish.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                    Rockport is crowed. On a pretty days there may be 2 dozen boats on the above mentioned reefs. There is often lots of testosterone flowing on busy weekends. Plenty of 'likes to fight' guy in Rockport.

Estes can be really good, much of it is no prop zone- so be careful where you run. The back side of St Joes has miles of fishable area. If you choose to drift and catch a solid red in a sand pocket- odds are there is a school in the area. Anchor and fish slowly through that area.

This is good advice and works for the trouts too.

Comment

I lived there for 10+ years and we always fished Port Bay and St. Charles Bay to get out of the crowds. Always caught really good fish wading grass lines and pot holes. This was 10 years ago. I feel old now...

Comment

Originally posted by Z7X View Post
                        I was just about to say exactly this. Steadmans is very good as well. Shrimp and popping corks.
                        Hey...no giving up spots like that until he reaches the P&Y club...

Steadmans is an awesome place to fish. Can be a little tricky getting in between the reefs.

Comment

North has reefs. If u don't know where u are going don't without someone that does. Fish just South & SE of key allegro. Mud island & traylor island areas. Easy to get to and fish.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Put in at goose island and fish San Antonio bay reefs trout ,drum sheepshead, reds. Chicken foot reef and other reefs I can't remember right now

Comment

Working...
                              X