Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal question: Is it legal to shoot your bow within the city limits

I live in Dallas, Texas;

Want to know if it is legal to shoot your bow on your private property within the city limits. I have asked the local police station and they said NO it was not legal. I have now researched the city ordinances and found this not to be crystal clear. A fire arm is not the same as a bow and arrow. I have asked some neighbors of mine which are attorneys and they say there is no specific ordinance to prevent you from shooting your bow (target practice) within the city limits of Dallas. As long as you are not shooting it in a threatening manner.

What does everyone else think or know about this? What about other cities out there?

Very confused on this issue....

In Tarrant Co. you gotta be 500ft from a residental dwelling.

Comment

Most cities classifiy a bow as a weapons and it is illegal to discharge a weapon within city limits.

Comment

How did you find that in your county? I have read through the city ordinances but not Dallas County (?). Where do you go to find this type of information.

Thanks!!

Comment

One thing that I have learned is that LEO's don't always know the law. This is not a slight towards them, most of my family are LEO's. It's just that the penal code book is thicker than two bible's. No human could possibly know everything that's in it and it changes often.
          Don't do it unless you know for a fact that you are legal and you better be able to show proof. I would also make sure that there was no way that my arrows could do any harm. If you have a lawyer telling you that it's ok, then make them provide proof and see if they will be willing to represent you pro-Bono if they are wrong.
          Last edited by Geezy Rider; 03-13-2010, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Every City is different, just shoot behind your house and you'll be just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
              One thing that I have learned is that LEO's don't always know the law. This is not a slight towards them, most of my family are LEO's. It's just that the penal code book is thicker than two bible's. No human could possibly know everything that's in it and it changes often.
              Don't do it unless you know for a fact that you are legal and you better be able to show proof. I would also make sure that there was no way that my arrows could do any harm. If you have a lawyer telling you that it's ok, then make them provide proof and see if they will be willing to represent you pro-Bono if they are wrong.
              That is a fact on both counts. As a 26 year officer myself, I don't know all of the laws but know the ones that I commonly deal with. Target shooting arrows is not a commonly dealt with law. I am not even sure of the laws on that in my own city but I know where to look it up.

Lawyers are roughly in the same position. They aren't particularly adept at knowing the law either unless it is a law that they frequently deal with like maybe a lawyer that specializes in DWI. Ask a lawyer a question and more than likely he will pull out a book and start looking it up... which more officers should do rather than answering what they think may be the answer.

I always like to see it in writing before I make a decision or tell someone an answer rather than stick with "I think" or "maybe" kind of answers.

Comment

I'm in Williamson co., city of Austin, so I called the Sheriffs office and he was not completely sure so he asked his supper and called me back that it was ok to discharge a bow but you are 100% responsible for the projectile.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                  Every City is different, just shoot behind your house and you'll be just fine...
                  I did this and had Arlington PD at my house "suggesting" I didn't shoot my bow in the backyard because I might hit something.

Comment

I shoot in my back yard but I have a 10ft fence and my neighbors are cool. I have a backstop and then a 3/4 inch plywood board as the last resort. I don't think it is legal in my city, but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by medic151 View Post
                      I shoot in my back yard but I have a 10ft fence and my neighbors are cool. I have a backstop and then a 3/4 inch plywood board as the last resort. I don't think it is legal in my city, but I don't know.
                      Me 2

Serious back stop is important...

Comment

What do you use for a backstop?

Comment

I spent many years shooting in the back yard when we lived in Dallas........I didn't have a clue that it would have been illegal.

Tbar

Comment

Not allowed in Casper, WY.

Comment

I set up my target in the back end of my garage and have some plywood and foamboard as my backstop. Makes me feel better knowing that if a premature realease happens, the arrow won't fly into my neighbors home.

Comment

Working...
                              X