I can finally post in the trad section!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made it into the dark world of traditional archery this weekend. I made a friend of a gentleman named Charlie Beaman here in Austin. He lives across the street from my daughters BF. Little did I know he is in cahoots with Mr. Sarrels and they go way back making bows together. Well, Charlie put together a longbow that nobody he knew could easily draw. 64" and 66 pounds at 28. Well I can pull it and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I picked up the bow. I have been wanting a longbow for quite some time but have been waiting trying to save up for something nice. Well as far as I can tell, this thing is nice! Now I know what you are thinking. Newbie to a stick bow, shooting 66 pounds might not be the best place to start and I agree. But like I said, he made me an offer I could not refuse. I made it through about ten arrows on Sunday afternoon and that's all my fingers could handle. I am looking forward to shooting more with this and toughening up the hands. My wheel bows will still get most of the love but I am excited non the less. Pics to follow.

-------------------------------
    Violence never settles anything
    -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Goncalo (tigerwood), rosewood and maple strip with a bamboo core.

Comment

Welcome to the trad side. Yea, you might want to get something with about half that draw weight to learn with. You really don't need to be struggling to pull the bow at first, in fact, pulling the string back and wear and tear on the fingers are a couple of the last things that you need to think about while building your form.

Comment

Great looking bow!

Might look into getting a Dura Glove; saved the nerves in my fingertips, shooting 70#s.
          If you like a tab, check out Barbee Archery.

Comment

66# is a beast! Congrats on the beauty of a bow, but I agree you might want to find a lighter bow to learn proper form before you develop bad habits from being over bowed.

Comment

Really like those forward riser designs. I can see why he still had it though... 66# is pretty stout!

Welcome to the fun that is stickbow shooting and hunting. I know you know... and I know others will say it too... but keep an eye out for a lower poundage bow that you can have more fun with because you can shoot it more. You can be surprisingly accurate with the heavy bow because it is harder to torque it and pluck the string... but, your form and making sure you have a consistant anchor will suffer because it is so darn hard to go through the draw cycle enough times to engrain it into your memory.

Comment

Congrats on the new bow. You’re right about the draw weight being heavy, but sometimes you just can’t say no! I wouldn’t have been able to resist either, it’s just too pretty.

Maybe we’ll stumble across each other at a shoot since I’m right down the road!

Comment

Beautiful bow! I too am infatuated with the riser forward design, just picked up my first one, a used Lynx recurve...I am scared to go shoot Bob's Yukon longbow as I have a feeling I will deplete my savings account. Enjoy your new bow!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard Paul!! 66# is a beast!!! Charlie and Bob are both good folks. Have fun with it!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m glad y’all pointed out the riser forward design. I was non the wiser. Are there any advantages to this or is it just the look?

-------------------------------
                      Violence never settles anything
                      -Genghis Kahn

Comment

I know nothing of bow mechanics but Bob Sarrels said that design is very accurate. Not quite as fast but accurate and likes a heavy arrow. He or Charlie could explain much better than I.

Comment

Beauty of a bow hope it gets to put in work this October!

Comment

Sweet looking bow and congrats on a good deal. Welcome to the fun side of archery.

Comment

Welcome, you're gonna love it! Very nice bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X